Smart Car of America Forum banner

Towing four wheels down

33K views 62 replies 29 participants last post by  trev0006 
#1 ·
I am also interested in towing behind RV four wheels down. Any info on tow bar availability and cost would be helpful.

#2 ·
"And now for the good news. Unlike earlier European models that have a different engine and transmission, the import version is flat-towable. As of this writing, smart USA is developing a tow bar for the smart fortwo that will attach to the front of the vehicle that will allow for flat-towing behind a motorhome. With a base weight of just 1,800 pounds, there are few motorhomes that will have any problems towing this novel lightweight dinghy."

Read the whole Motorhome article at: This Link

#6 ·
How are you guys makin out with the tow bars?
Ya figured out if ya have to lock the steering on the Smart or not?

This kind of thing is always a bit goofy UNTIL the early adopters get it sorted out.

I'm sure there are MANY of the RV guys out there with light weight Class-C coaches that would LOVE to be able to tow a little car easily without sucking a ton of fuel or tearing up their truck. Not everybody has a giant garage coach or a diesel pusher with a big Cummins in back that is impervious to a slight load like a towed Hummer for instance... In these days of high fuel costs, a lot of owners are probably interested in being able to tow a Smart. It's not for everybody, but there is still a pretty good sized niche market I'm thinkin.

Let's face it. A Smart is a way fun car to have when ya git where yer goin. It's not all about trying to get 50 MPG, although that isn't all that bad of thing sometimes...

I noted at a recent overnight that the guy next to us got charged $15 bucks a night to park his tow dolly at a separate area. That CG didn't allow tow dollies to be parked in the RV site, just one towed vehicle. That was one reason I got the garage coach was cuz I wanted to "trailer" the sidecar rig and use typical RV parks and campgrounds and it was just WAY simpler to use the garage coach rather than deal with the RV AND the trailer AND the sidecar rig in the spaces available.
I would think a Smart on a retracting tow bar would be pretty handy compared with all that sort of thing.

just a thunk

#7 ·
How are you guys makin out with the tow bars?
Ya figured out if ya have to lock the steering on the Smart or not?
I've used my smartie to push our motorhome several times now using the Blue Ox setup - :D

My procedure:

Make sure that the car is positioned pretty much straight behind the RV. Once I connect the tow bar arms to the car I push the car back to lock the arms on the tow bar. Then I make sure the steering wheel is exactly centered and pull away - if possible pull straight forward until everything is moving.

If the car's wheels are not pointing straight ahead, then it'll tend to oscillate. If the arms are not locked then the oscillations will be pretty severe, to the point where you need to stop and reposition the steering wheel on the car.

I've never had an oscillation while driving, although a tight turn into a driveway did cause a slight oscillation once...

#8 ·
Towing our 2008 Smart

We tow our Smart with Blue Ox you can check out some of our pictures@ http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=18&userid=16263

I installed the Blue Ox base plate BX 1983 using two floor jacks to support the car. (See pictures)

I have not installed the BX 8848 4 Diode wiring kit yet, we use a LED wireless light bar that uses suckion cups to hold it to the roof.

We also use a Blue Ox KarGard BX 8871 to protect the car. This is the 3rd car we have used it on. (See Picture)

We have towed our car almost 1400 miles so far, we have not had our door locks to lock and we have NOT added any miles to our speedo either.

I did the install in our driveway at our Port in Titusville, FL. (I also did the Honda Element in the one picture when it was new.)

I work for SunCoast RV a chain of RV Dealerships, I was asked to move to the new Calera, AL store a several of weeks ago. So if you are in the greater Birmingham, AL area and want to tow your Smart drop me a note and I can explain how you can use Blue Ox or Road Master to do so. If you are handy and can follow directions their is no reason why you can not install it yourself.

If you have any questions let me know.

Take Care,
Larry Schmitt

#63 ·
Thanks for this

We tow our Smart with Blue Ox you can check out some of our pictures@ http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=18&userid=16263suspensionbrakesbmwwheels

I installed the Blue Ox base plate BX 1983 using two floor jacks to support the car. (See pictures)

I have not installed the BX 8848 4 Diode wiring kit yet, we use a LED wireless light bar that uses suckion cups to hold it to the roof.

We also use a Blue Ox KarGard BX 8871 to protect the car. This is the 3rd car we have used it on. (See Picture)

We have towed our car almost 1400 miles so far, we have not had our door locks to lock and we have NOT added any miles to our speedo either.

I did the install in our driveway at our Port in Titusville, FL. (I also did the Honda Element in the one picture when it was new.)

I work for SunCoast RV a chain of RV Dealerships, I was asked to move to the new Calera, AL store a several of weeks ago. So if you are in the greater Birmingham, AL area and want to tow your Smart drop me a note and I can explain how you can use Blue Ox or Road Master to do so. If you are handy and can follow directions their is no reason why you can not install it yourself.

If you have any questions let me know.

Take Care,
Larry Schmitt

#9 ·
Dropped towbar/receiver device

I notice that your towbar is parallel to the ground because you have an angled connector between your receiver and the towbar. Our Blue Ox towbar connects at an upward angle, and I would like to know what your connector device is.
THX

#10 ·
I notice that your towbar is parallel to the ground because you have an angled connector between your receiver and the towbar. Our Blue Ox towbar connects at an upward angle, and I would like to know what your connector device is.
THX
Blue Ox, among others, sells drop receivers ranging from a 2" to a 10" drop. Measure the height of your current receiver and subtract about 12" from that if you're using a Blue Ox baseplate to get the appropriate drop. You can have up to a 4" rise in the towbar, but it must not be any lower than your receiver hitch.

#12 ·
I have been reading about towing the fortwo and problems with front wheel locking side to side in turns, and use of bungie cords....after towing a chevy chevette for many years...it also had the same problem with the wheels locking to the side in tight turns.....the bungie cord it attached to the bottom of the steering wheel just loose enough for the wheel to turn a half a turn.....if the cord is too tight you are just sliding the front tires and of course wearing out the tires. I am waiting now for the base plate to be delivered then will install for next week end.....my question is any one know a cheaper key replacement for the car?

#13 ·
I am currently installing the Blue Ox baseplate. I am having trouble getting a good alignment of the rear brackets that attach to the frame. The side brackets do not want to lay properly to the plastic vertcal support member on the Smart. I am also concerned about drilling the holes and getting too close to the bottom of the frame chanel that will make it difficult to install the nut. Any advice is appreciated.

Kleverd1

#14 ·
Blue Ox Base Plate

You are right, there is a problem with the mounting plates. I wrote Blue Ox but I don't think they care as long as they sell plates. You really need to measure twice and drill once. I needed a spacer about 3/16" so that the plates would agree with the bar after mounting. I got different grade eight nuts and bolts than ones supplied. I had to elongate the holes to move the cross bar forward to clear the radiator shroud. 5/8" Caution more will hit at the front.

LWJack

#16 ·
Hi Larry
I spoke to you in July or August about towing a Smart Car. We got ours 2 weeks ago here in Florida and I want to get going!!
I know about the Blue Ox and Roadmaster brackets but it seems to me to be a lot of parts and expense and labor to install. Before I started looking into this I saw the "towing holes" for the eye bolt. Expected a simple package to screw into the towing holes Smart provided. Deadler gave me a sheet provided by Smart to add driver side hole on front. The sheet mentions CBS, which I haven't been able to find out what it means. Dealer says go to any RV dealer and they know what to do! Howver I think this means Blue Ox or Roadmaster. I have tried to read the forums but haven't found the answwer to using a simpler(and less expensive) solution.I found a towing bolt eye from Dongparts which I could change to match my Falcon towbar on the motor home. Any comments or direction you can give would be appreciated. I have your home phone but didn't want to distrub.
Central Florida Smarties
Jim

#17 ·
Moysey, my Smart dealer also showed me a tow bar system hooked up to the "towing holes" on his computer. But the website he told me I could see that system on when I returned home was incorrect. Is there anything on that sheet you mention that gives the manufacturer or website or phone number so I can look into it further? Thanks!

#24 ·
Can you try the dealer again. I have only a sheet which shows where to add the hole on the drivers side which I see is also posted on this forum. No other information on the sheet the dealer gave. Or perhaps give me the dealers name and I will contact them directly.
Thanks
Jim

#18 · (Edited)
Last I checked my smart, there was only one access for a tow hook up front. If you are thinking that you can use that mount, essentially a single bolt on each side; to hold the 1800+ pounds of a smart car at freeway speeds, with all the torque applied while turning; I think you are asking for trouble. If you find a company that manufacturers something like that, post it. I'd like to see it!
My brackets are Roadmaster. Engineered and designed specifically for the smart fortwo 451. I trust they will hold the car without failure in the switchbacks in the mountains, on the highway at 55-65 mph and I know that if it fails, the safety chains and emergency breakaway braking system will hopefully keep my runaway from crossing the center divider and killing someone.
Get it done right guys. Blue Ox and Roadmaster are the best. JMHO

#19 ·
I know that both BlueOx and Roadmaster make reliable tow components, but they are rather complicated to install and expensive. Would be nice if there is something simpler and cheaper that also works well.

Actually this system shown to me by the local Smart dealer on his computer showed the front fascia on the left front of the car being drilled out to expose the towing eye-hook receptacle hidden behind. Has anyone had the front bumper off to see if there is, in fact, a threaded receptacle behind it? I'll call the dealer today and see if I can get the correct information.

#23 ·
The slides, although with the smart logo, are dated April 2007. Did the effort get shelved, or is it still being worked on? Don't know. So I have my smartcenter director looking into this.
That's great!! I appreciate it as the alternatives are $750 just for the Roadmaster brackets installled. The rear light wiring is another $199 and easily (haven't priced these in a while) $450 for the tow bar. Can't wait to see what your smart rep comes up with!! :)

#26 ·
Ok, here is the deal with regard to a "Smart USA tow bar solution" for towing a fortwo behind a motorhome according to my local smart center director. Since there are third party solutions already available (e.g., Blue Ox and Roadmaster), Smart USA is no longer working on their own. He directed me to the local Camping World for purchase and installation information.

#28 ·
First Smart Flat Towing Experience

I just returned from my maiden voyage towing the Smart after having the Roadmaster base plate installed by Camping World a few weeks ago. Before this trip I had only towed the car a couple of blocks after the installation and had no problems. However, after we got hooked up and ready to pull out for a 200 mile trip to the coast, I used the extra key to lock the car (as I had always done with my previous toad -- a Land Rover Discovery). Immediately when I started out of the parking lot, the wheels went crazy wildly flying back and forth. Also, the alarm system started sounding. I tried again with the same results, so I pulled over and called the SmartUSA road service number. The person on the other end was very sympathetic but did not have a clue. Together we read the manual which states that the key should be left in position "O" when flat towing; however, I could not get the key to go to that position with the gear shift in neutral. He decided to call the service rep at my dealer in Charleston, and he too could not get the key in any of his cars to go to position "O" with the shift in neutral. We concluded that the manual was incorrect.

While waiting for the service rep to call me back after doing research on the problem, I found in the manual that the car's security system has a tow-prevention feature, and that this feature has to be deactivated when flat towing. After I deactivated the system, the car towed just fine.
When I got ready for my return trip I tried again to tow without deactivitating the tow-prevention feature and again had problems with the wheels tracking, but after deactivating that feature I had no problems.

Other posts suggest that the tracking problem is inherent in the Smart car design. Maybe it was just coincidental that the car towed just fine with the tow-prevention system deactivated, and otherwise would not track correctly.

I am now eager to find out how it works the next time out. Of course, I will always deactivate the tow-prevention feature and will not attempt to lock the car when towing it.

#30 ·
ahartgra, you are talking of two different issues - locking the car, and putting the gear shift in the correct position for towing.

Don't lock the car.

Put the key in the ignition lock, turn it to position 1 and put the shift lever in neutral, then turn the key to the left as far as it will go - you will not be in the position that permits key removal, and the key will not be able to be removed but the ignition will be turned off. Make certain the shift lever is in neutral.

The car will tow just fine. Make certain the smart's steering is in the straight ahead position and drive straight ahead when starting off. The only time the steering will go lock to lock when set up properly is when the wheels are turned while starting off off from a stopped position.

#33 ·
tow equipment

We recently, 12/17, had a roadmaster Falcon 2 towbar and bracket 52285-1 mounted on our Smart Car and MH. We did need a 4 " lowering insert to keep the towbar near level. System included electrical spring coil, several locks, safety cables, cover and 3 hr installation for $1650 in Portland OR area. 09 manual recommeds a battery shut off switch we were not aware of until afterwards. Smart tech said he did not think it essential. We bought Smart car to be our towable car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.