Smart Car of America Forum banner

15"F17"R Wheels

4K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  jrubio 
#1 ·
I am looking to put a nice set of allow wheels on my 2012, I would like to have a 17 Inch on the back and 15 inch on the front. Please offer what you have for sale! Thank you:D

#2 ·
Is it set in stone that you want 15"s in the front and 17"s in the back? The reason why I ask is that I have a full set of Brabus 15" monoblocks that I'd like to get rid of. I'll also have a set of 17" genius Newton in matte black I would like to part with.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
if you're going to be anal about it, get some tape and tape the fuse halfway into the socket, in case of accident, push it all the way in and remove the tape. my accident 3 years ago was never investigated when i spun out on black ice and the ABS/ESP lights were on for YEARS. ESP don't save you when you hit a patch of black ice at speed on a turn, you're gonna SPIN!

Attachments

#21 ·
To be honest, I was never a fan of wheels spacers. In fact, "America's Tire" and "Discount Tire" will not service a car with wheel spacers.

I started doing a lot of on-line searches and spacers can be ok if you do your homework. A lot of racing cars use wheel spacers to gain brake clearance, fender clearance, etc.

I do not suggest buying a generic wheel spacer but get one that's designed for your car. I am using Eibach spacers and they are German and TUI approved. A lot of spacers are nothing more than aluminum washers and it's up to you to source the correct bolts or lug nuts.

Eibach spacers are hub centric, the same as smart wheel and hubs, and come with all correct mounting hardware. My front 20mm spacers came with the correct smart bolts, but in the proper longer length. My rear 30mm spacers are bolted to the drum with the correct bolts and the wheel bolts to the spacer with the original smart wheel bolts.

I have seen generic wheel spacers on Ebay and Amazon for $15.00 to $20.00 a pair. My Eibachs were $135.00 for the front and $142.00 for the rear. I know it seems high, but I don't want a $15.00 spacer leaving me in a three wheel situation.

My main reason for the spacers was looks. I wanted the tread of the tire flush with the fender lip. I have that now and the sidewall bulges a couple of mm's past the lip. I am satisfied with the way it turned out, but I am always trying new stuff on my smart so maybe a set of coil overs will be next. Good luck with what ever you decide.

#23 ·
I have had these same tires and wheels on for over six years with no spacers. I had 20mm spacers on the rear only for about a month. Last week, I pulled all the wheels and installed the 30mm on the rear and the 20mm on the front to see how it would look. I have never had an issue with rubbing with or without the spacers. The electronic nannies have never acted up with or without the spacers with the larger tires.

#24 ·
Thank you very, very much! I made my decision now! I will show the new wheels on my little toy as soon as I get paid on February! It'll be 195/50R15 on the front and 225/35R17 for the back on Genius Newton Hyper Silver. I really appreciate how kind this group is and I would like to have Smart meetings (I'm in Central FL)

#25 ·
I look forward to seeing some photos of the new tire/wheel set up. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and most are more than glad to help out other members. We all love our smarts...some like them stock...some like them modded...but we are all a smart family and that's what matters.

Keep us posted on the plans for a smart get together in the Orlando area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.