User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyrayandersen View Post
this would coincide with our original finding which was there was a large pressure drop across the filter due to insufficient number of holes in the center support and a bypass spring that was set on the high side.

Incidentally many filters have quite a low bypass setting which causes the filter to run in bypass mode most if the time. Most filters will do that during startup, but some do it pretty much all of the time since the bypass is set so low. The Fram we looked at was only around 2 psi (this was for the basic cheap Fram, not the new premium filter that they offer now)! Of course the best is a filter that has lower resistance (generally one with more filter area) so that high filter flow is maintained without a large pressure drop.

As you can see the By-Pass (relief) P.S.I. is 14-18 not 2 psi...YUP...

This is the one I use ~ It is a little longer, but does not sit lower than the oil pan ~ I spray it flat black, as the filters on Smart can be seen from the rear ~ I change oil & filter every 5,000.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Purolator..

I am starting to like Purolator's too.

My Dad's Chevy Cruze air filter was a pita to find, (Advanced Auto) had it for half of the Fram at Maul-Mart.
Oil filters too...
Construction (materials) seemed better too...
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use mobil 1 m-108 since 0 miles. Change mobil 1 0-40 synthetic every 5000 miles myself up to current 63800 miles. 0.0 problems with anything....just not having enough time to drive the convertible as I would like.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
In reality we aren't exactly dealing with a high revving exotic here. Since most everyone is running full synthetic I am guessing most any filter out today won't be the cause of problems. Neglect and abuse will be the major cause of any engine problem. What ever a person usually uses he thinks is the best. Just my 2 cents.
The Following User Says Thank You to RickyM For This Useful Post:
b322da (06-05-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode