Smart Car of America Forum banner

Dyno numbers: GT2052 - 8 psi - Non-intercooled

13K views 45 replies 9 participants last post by  ilomax 
#1 ·
I got some time on the dyno today...
I'm pretty happy with the results but further work is still needed.

102.9HP @ 6,300 RPM and 8PSI

The further work that is needed is... big surprise... TUNING!

The car started to lean out a bit to much to push it any harder...
Air/Fuel ratio hit about 13:1 ... but definitely in the 13s.

Time to weld in a bung and add the wideband for tuning... or spend $200 and have it "Dyno tuned" for an hour.

I'm happy with the results overall... :)

Here is the graph....

Here is the setup...

See less See more
#6 ·
My goal horsepower is to be double stock... So if the "out of the box Smart" is 57HP, I would be happy to hit 115HP with water/methanol injection.

I have finally experienced "Limp mode" and the luxury of no steering lock... Ignition off then on and everything is fixed... Still coasting at 65mph.

I always assumed everyone talking about "limp mode" meant the fuel system just went into open loop... Nope, limp mode cuts power and AFRs go to 19:1.

I am hitting 10-12psi and when you max the car out... The car goes into limp mode. I have never gone into limp mode in the city with quick/short boost sessions.

I went into limp mode 2 times down the freeway, driving for an hour at 80mph.

Seems as if long, sustained boost (above 5 sec.) above 10psi will go into limp mode.

Still figuring out how the car likes to drive...

I have thrown some interesting codes but fortunately all are false... probably from going into limp mode... ;)

Go out and have fun, make people laugh and show up a few cars.

#7 ·
My goal horsepower is to be double stock... So if the "out of the box Smart" is 57HP, I would be happy to hit 115HP with water/methanol injection.

I have finally experienced "Limp mode" and the luxury of no steering lock... Ignition off then on and everything is fixed... Still coasting at 65mph.

I always assumed everyone talking about "limp mode" meant the fuel system just went into open loop... Nope, limp mode cuts power and AFRs go to 19:1.

I am hitting 10-12psi and when you max the car out... The car goes into limp mode. I have never gone into limp mode in the city with quick/short boost sessions.

I went into limp mode 2 times down the freeway, driving for an hour at 80mph.

Seems as if long, sustained boost (above 5 sec.) above 10psi will go into limp mode.
Still figuring out how the car likes to drive...

I have thrown some interesting codes but fortunately all are false... probably from going into limp mode... ;)

Go out and have fun, make people laugh and show up a few cars.
What you're describing used to happen to me when I didn't have the correct fueling for my setup. My car would go into limp mode a lot in the same way you are describing. Since getting my car back from Larry, I have yet to go into limp mode once...and this is with hard testing riding around in 95 degree heat and 80+% humidity. My AFR was similar to your 13:1 before sending it to Larry. Even though I had already upgraded my injectors, Larry went a little larger (can't remember size) and also installed a fuel return system to make sure I would be able to properly fuel the boost I was generating. Now my AFRs are 14.7-15.0 idle, 12s under 8 psi, 11.5 13-14 psi boost. I was also using SFR's water/air intercooler with water/meth injection before, and now with the water/air inercooler barrel design Larry uses my IAT are more than 30 degrees cooler than my previous setup even without using my water/meth injection. It's amazing how the design of an intercooler can make so much of a difference. What type of gas you using?

#12 ·
Thanks man, the whole project has taken close to 2 years to complete and the turbo has taken about a year itself with fabrication and tuning...

It feels good to actually go out and play. To bad I'm in Oregon and Summer is over... rain rain rain.
Save the fun for next year I guess.

I received alot of help from this community, thanks all!

#13 ·
I waited a long time for my car to be completed too. I just got it back from Larry about a month ago after a year and half of him working on it. I had tried a few setups before, but I kept having problems mainly due to the hot humid temps of miami, fl. I finally decided to to stop trying out different ways to solve the issues I was having, so I shipped it off to Larry to not only solve those issues but to build me a car that would deliver big performance while maintaining reliability. He pretty much changed everything: forged JE Pistons, lightened flywheel, tcu reprogram, header, larger injectors, fuel return system, barrel water/air intercooler, synapse tunable bov, swain tech coating on all hot parts, water/meth, and some other goodies. The car is not only WAY faster, but it shifts so much better too! So far it hasn't thrown any codes, gone into limp mode, or even hiccuped one time. When it gets a little cooler down here, like below 70, I'll see if I can bring it to a dyno to see what kind of power it's putting down. Be interesting to see if I can beat or come close to SFR's stage 3 with air/water intercooler claim of 175 rwhp.

#14 ·
Wowza, thats a lot of work done.
I would love to have that list done to my car, the unfortunate part is my bank doesn't agree.

For now I'll have to stick with the lower PSI and the car being a little temperamental.

Thanks for your input.

#17 ·
That is the best part of the Smart Car... No back seat.

"Sorry I only have one seat"... No one asks me for rides anymore... Bwaaa haaa haa.

What engine is in the little Mitsu?

The Smart will always be my favorite compact. It's the underdog and you have to fight to get respect, then the turbo spools up and respect has been found...

#19 ·
Say whaaat?
Is there any current videos showing it off?

I know I've seen a handful of his YouTube videos.

Figured out the puzzle (and redesigned a few of the puzzle pieces), now he can do whatever he wants... Has to be a blast.

Where is his shop located?

#21 ·
I asked him the same thing, but he says people take the fun out of it. Instead of people just looking at what he's been able to do, they try to look for ways to knock it. So he chooses to stay undercover. I can tell you that what he has done with the smart car engine, nobody has come close to doing. He's been driving around for a while with 30psi with no problems. His knowledge of this car is just unreal.

#20 ·
The stock Smart Car has so many flaws when it comes to performance and driveability. However, once you upgrade the flaws and add power there is no other car that is as maneuverable and fun to drive than the Smart Car. It is so unique and can't be really compared to anything else I have driven. There is a reason we rent go karts when we go to amusement parks. Even though our cars our faster, the go karts are just way more fun to drive. With the 1241 turbo I'm using, if i keep my boost controller off which means it won't boost more than 5 psi, I'm getting 44mpg.

#22 ·
We haven't really seen what he has done other than motors he's blown up... Anyone can talk the talk but producing facts, like dyno pulls, 1/4 mile time slips, even pictures or videos would go a long way towards credibility and most likely eliminate the criticism and BS... Under cover is a hard way to sell your talents or products...:wink:

#24 ·
This comment is pretty funny. That's probably why he doesn't come around here much anymore. I don't want to go into it and hijack the thread, but all I can say is I'm riding around in one of his creations which is amazing. Everything he promised, he delivered and then some. I hope some of you out there end up knowing him like I know him so you can get some great advice from a very talented/innovative person. Once you get to know him, I'm sure he will share some of his evidence with you personally as he has done with me. He's just past the point to where he "has to do" anything to prove something. But again, to answer the person's question in a previous post to where he has been...he has been working a ton of hours, was working on my car in any spare time he had, going on multiple vacations, and riding around in his monster smart car which boosts 30 psi for quite some time now. The only problem with his car is the fuel economy is out the window. After 100 miles he's already down half a tank.

#23 ·
Regardless of his reclusive-ness or lack of proof, he still has lots of experience with these cars and I can usually learn something from just about everyone.

Sounds as if Dave has had a good experience, that seems to be some proof.

I would DEFINITELY love to see some engine goodies, dyno sheets and youtube videos tho...

#33 ·
You're such a grumpy old man...:D

From the sound of it, he could probably care less if he posts on this forum about his ability/experience with the Smart...

There is enough "Word of mouth" to keep him busy if he chooses to.

Lets get back to topic about how I pulled 102.9 HP out of the base SS tune @ 8psi... I've built cars before but this is my first turbo'd car.
It's been a learning experience, but I feel I have the base knowledge to expand upon.:cool:

ilomax... making fun of you, just a little bit...:wink:

#37 ·
After lowering the boost to about 8psi and building a blow-off valve system, I have not gone into limp mode.
I drove the car hard for over an hour through a mountain road and I let two others beat on it just to see if I was being a wuss...
I've gone through 3 gallons of water/meth juice and the car is driving well.

I believe the cause of the car going into limp mode was for two reasons; 1) Running 10+ psi when my tune is for 8psi. 2) The spike of pressure when the throttle body closes, reason for adding the blow off valve.

Now I'm taking advantage of the last couple nice days before the toy gets put away for the winter.

#40 ·
This is the only code I'm getting with my stage 3 set up.

Have it tuned for 14psi but haven't had the air to water intercooler hooked up yet.

The waste gate will open up at 16psi under acceleration if I push it.
16psi is the max psi that the GT2056 waste gate opens at.

Can anyone help with that code error: P2227 any clues????

#39 ·
Tack on another say of mountain roads, a gallon of water/methanol and the lovely tunes the car sings in and out of boost...

Pleased with how the car is performing.

After a "Very Spirited" portion of the drive with lots of curves and quick hills, I look down at the ScanGauge and my intake air temperature is 75(F)... :D

Being non-intercooled, I'm very happy with that number.

Coolant stayed in the 180 range. I've heard some talk of these little cars getting hot.

Now I just need some nice weather to come back and I'll be set. Unfortunately I'm in Oregon and we are just starting our wet weather season for the next 9-10 months...

Other than getting wheel spacers for the rear, the car is finished.

Maybe it's time to venture back into stereo stuff... 90% of it is done, just need to install stuff that wasn't laying around my garage. Time to find those internet deals!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.