Dells Rally 2011 Group Discount SmartieParts Cruise Control (post#1) - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dells Rally 2011 Group Discount SmartieParts Cruise Control (post#1)

Hello everyone.

I copied most of this over from the corresponding 2009 Dells post. Changes for this year include: lower deposit price; higher discounts!; install is optional (you can get a kit-only this year if you wish).

Please link to this post anywhere you've seen people asking about cruise controls in relation to this event.

The exact numbers required and the exact discount available still has to be determined. This is the current promotion (It will continue to drop as I get confirmed signups)
$∞ Area 451 Parts Cruise Kit INSTALLED*

* If you prefer kit-only, then the price is $20 less than shown.

The price is based on the number of confirmed signups with paid deposits. This is the structure:

0 people @ $∞
1 person @ $1,800,000 each
2 people @ $120,000 each
3 people @ $45,924 each
4 people @ $11,111 each
5 people @ $500 each
6 people @ $495 each
7 people @ $490 each
8 people @ $485 each
9 people @ $480 each
10 people @ $470 each
11 people @ $465 each
12 people @ $460 each
13 people @ $455 each
14 people @ $450 each
15 people @ $435 each
16 people @ $425 each
17 people @ $415 each
18 people @ $405 each
19 people @ $395 each
>>>20+ people @ $380 each<<<

In addition to the substantial discounts, I have these fun enticements for you!
  • The first 5 people to sign up will get a FREE jumper plug with their purchase ($10 value)!
  • Once we hit 15 people, everyone will have the option to purchase a programmer at half price ($20 value)!
  • If we can get 30 participants then EVERYONE will get a FREE programmer and jumper plug ($50 value)!!
Sure 30 is more than double what we did in '09... but think about it! That's a hundred bucks off the price everyone else pays, PLUS free installation (or a further $20 off) that would otherwise cost you a couple hundred easily, PLUS $50 in very useful gifts. So let's do it!

In '09, I also included a link to a signup sheet where participants picked their timeslot. I think its a little premature for that and we'll figure out timeslots closer to the event. We did 1-hour timeslots and that worked out well, but I am faster at it now so we can probably shorten that up for less downtime.

I am very much open for suggestions regarding time management. I could even come in the day(s) prior to and/or after the event if they will be fully booked days. This would allow people to get their cruise installed and not have to worry about missing some of the festivities.

Deposits: In 2009, I took $200 deposits to ensure my travel costs were covered. This year it'll be $50 deposits because we're starting earlier and I don't want to tie your money up for months. They are refundable only if the event doesn't take place for some reason, or for some reason I don't make it. In either of those cases, refunds will be issued immediately. When it comes time to choose timeslots, they'll go in the same order as the deposits were made.

Make your $50 deposit (Visa, M/C, PayPal) here

Here are some details/notes:
  • Some details regarding the deposit are on the deposit page. In general, the deposit is non-refundable if you screw up (don't arrive, change your mind, etc), and is refundable if I screw up (can't make it, miss a flight, etc). Obviously all deposits are returned in the event we cancel due to lack of interest.
  • If you don't have a credit card or PayPal account you can send me a check promptly to get on the list.
  • Airfare to WI is EXPENSIVE from here! Add to that the cost of a car rental and modest accommodations (probably a tent) for 3 or 4 days. Never mind the man-hours (I work for free anyway)! While I'd love to come to this event just for the fun of it, we really have to watch the bottom line on this. Please do everyone in the group and us a favor and pass this around so people know of it. I don't know exactly what the minimum number is yet but probably at least 10 and perhaps quite a bit more.
  • We can't bring more kits then we expect to sell! Remember we're coming from Canada and that still technically classifies as a foreign country. There are customs regulations and a ton of paperwork comes with bringing commercial goods in and a ton more if we bring them back! So the only way you'll be able to make a game-time decision is if someone else backs out last minute. If you want the discount, sign up.
  • Minimum number has been met. You can still sign up and get a lower dicounted price but you better hurry.
Any questions or concerns, let me know!

Steven

Last edited by jwight; 05-25-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: updated count
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well i realy dont want to pay 120,000 dllr for it lol
#3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 02:46 PM

The first few are obviously a joke... the minimum number will be 10 or more. If its less then that then you won't be paying anything
#4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 06:38 PM
SCOA Club

Thanks, again for instal at first dells. It is the most accurate cruise I have ever owned. And the groupbuy discount was the icing on the cake.

Last edited by GiantKiller; 01-23-2011 at 06:41 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 PM

How many are signed up now?
#6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:26 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,425 Times in 864 Posts
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
I would urge anyone who is thinking about this to go for it!! If anyone recalls, I had an 'Issue' with my smart shortly before the Dells event, and ended up with a brand new one weeks before the event. I still had the cruise installed with less than 1,000 miles on my car. it was and still is the best thing I have added. Not a problem and I now have over 40,000 miles. I did get the programmer and that is a lot of fun. Anybody that wants to try mine is wecome to see the difference it makes.

Steven does a top notch installation in a very short time. Truely a professional!!
#7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:38 PM
SCOA Club

What's up with the programer ?
#8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,425 Times in 864 Posts
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
The programmer is a cable that allows you to connect from your computer to the 'brain box' for the cruise. you then can install one of the 15 pedal mapping programs, in the future, if they modify the software or add any options to the Area451 unit, you can just download them from the internet and install them. Without it, you could have to remove the unit, and send it in for reprogramming. I got it to install the pedal mapping. I figured I wanted #15 which is also called 'Bat Out Of Hell' mode. Once it was installed, I found it was a little too aggressive for me and backed down to #8 (I think) which suited my driving a lot better. Without the programmer. I could have been stuck without cruise for awhile and I would have had to sent the unit back to have #15 changed to something else. This way I could play around with different mappings to see which I liked best.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 PM
SCOA Club

Steve, can I get in on the programmer discount? even if I already have your cruise. (Thanks Again for such a great product)
#10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 PM

Wow... I haven't been getting any notifications that people were posting here! Sorry for ignoring everything since my last post. I came here to update the list with our first deposit that was just made a few minutes ago and now I see I've got some catching up to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantKiller View Post
Thanks, again for instal at first dells. It is the most accurate cruise I have ever owned. And the groupbuy discount was the icing on the cake.
You're very welcome! I appreciate the comment. I have a new car now (Honda Fit) in addition to my smart and I'm continually disappointed that it's cruise operates NOWHERE near as good as the smartie's cruise! I take pride in that. Craig and Art did most of the electronics design, but I did the primary algorithm and I'm very happy to see people notice how well it works ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartmal View Post
How many are signed up now?
When you asked... zero! Now one This isn't entirely unexpected. Last time it took awhile for the ball to get rolling. But I have to warn/remind people that because I'm coming from a foreign country and there are certain rules to be followed... I really can't bring more than are pre-sold. So you can't just wait until last minute! I also want to remind people that there's really no risk... if I can't make it or if there just isn't enough interest, then its a no-go and you get your deposit back of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvw57 View Post
I would urge anyone who is thinking about this to go for it!! If anyone recalls, I had an 'Issue' with my smart shortly before the Dells event, and ended up with a brand new one weeks before the event. I still had the cruise installed with less than 1,000 miles on my car. it was and still is the best thing I have added. Not a problem and I now have over 40,000 miles. I did get the programmer and that is a lot of fun. Anybody that wants to try mine is wecome to see the difference it makes.

Steven does a top notch installation in a very short time. Truely a professional!!
Ty, ty. I'm very glad you remain a satisfied customer!

Quote:
What's up with the programer ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvw57 View Post
The programmer is a cable that allows you to connect from your computer to the 'brain box' for the cruise. you then can install one of the 15 pedal mapping programs, in the future, if they modify the software or add any options to the Area451 unit, you can just download them from the internet and install them. Without it, you could have to remove the unit, and send it in for reprogramming. I got it to install the pedal mapping. I figured I wanted #15 which is also called 'Bat Out Of Hell' mode. Once it was installed, I found it was a little too aggressive for me and backed down to #8 (I think) which suited my driving a lot better. Without the programmer. I could have been stuck without cruise for awhile and I would have had to sent the unit back to have #15 changed to something else. This way I could play around with different mappings to see which I liked best.
I couldn't have explained it better!

Quote:
Steve, can I get in on the programmer discount? even if I already have your cruise. (Thanks Again for such a great product)
You betcha! Anyone that already has the cruise and just wants a programmer can buy one at half off at the event regardless of where we're at with the other discounts. When we get closer to the event we'll figure that out once we know its a go for sure.

- Steven

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode