User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Seems like they're making it more like a Scion IQ, right as the Scion IQ leaves the market. (Disclaimer: we own an IQ as well as a ForTwo.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:45 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
The new smart is nothing like an iQ.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
"Little runabout finally ditches that awful transmission."

in other news, auto journalists who never could figure out how to tie their own shoes, with those "awful strings" can now buy shoes with velcro fasteners. or maybe that's why they invented driving moccasins.
Mister_smart_LA likes this.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:23 AM

Garage
The new Smart is more like an IQ than the older models. It's wider, had more space inside, and the styling is similar. New transmission, more horsepower... sure seems more IQ-like to me. They're still different cars, of course. And the IQ was less expensive.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 12:54 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
You need some help with your maths. IQ was almost $16k and the new smart is under $15k. The iQ was a bad copy of the smart, the smart is an improved version of the previous car, as the 451 is from the 450. There is good reason the IQ failed so quickly.
OliverB likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 01:03 PM

Garage
Pricing is bit a different in the US:

Model: 2016 smart fortwo
MSRP: $15,640

Model: 2015 Scion iQ
MSRP: $15,665

And the new Smart goes all the way up to near $20K which the iQ couldn't.

I own both cars. I can't agree that the iQ was a bad copy of the Smart. They're different in many ways - 3.5 passengers and front engine/front wheel drive being the two biggest departures.

My only point is that the new Smart is much more like the iQ than the old one. I'm not sure why that's controversial.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
I've driven a 2016 453 smart. It's still a smart. The engine is in the same place and driving the same set of wheels, which is an enormous difference from the iQ. It is more refined and more comfortable than the 451 and offers modern amenities that the 451 never did. The seats are height-adjustable. You can change the interval of the intermittent wipers (!). Cruise control is built in rather than having to be added on. The ride is much more refined and it has more grip. It's quieter. The transmission changes gears without a delay between gears, although I found that it still benefitted from shifting manually to keep the engine spinning in its power-band ... flooring it in "D" at speed causes a second or so of delay before anything happens - first for the transmission controls to realize that maybe they ought to downshift and there is probably some turbo lag in there as well. If the engine is already on the boil then this is not a problem.

For the most part, the Scion iQ will be forgotten about. I have no interest in a front-drive CVT-equipped box with overassisted power steering. (and yes, the 453's steering is lighter than I'd like it to be, but it still seems pretty good)
Smart Bob likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wagg View Post
Pricing is bit a different in the US:

Model: 2016 smart fortwo
MSRP: $15,640

Model: 2015 Scion iQ
MSRP: $15,665

And the new Smart goes all the way up to near $20K which the iQ couldn't.

I own both cars. I can't agree that the iQ was a bad copy of the Smart. They're different in many ways - 3.5 passengers and front engine/front wheel drive being the two biggest departures.

My only point is that the new Smart is much more like the iQ than the old one. I'm not sure why that's controversial.
Not sure where you got your pricing. The 453 starts at $14,650.... a bit higher than the 451 started at for a Pure... but still less than the iQ. And yes, it goes up to nearly $19k (probably $20-$21k whenever the cabrio comes out)... but i'm sure it offers far more than the iQ did in terms of options and quality.

Your only point being that the new Smart is much more like the iQ than the old one is basically just because its looks vaguely look more like the iQ since they gave it more of a "hood" than the 451. Other than that, NOTHING like the iQ.

And i wouldn't even say that the idea of the iQ being a 3.5 passenger car is a good thing... or even a notable thing. that half-person space is practically unusable in just about every situation except storage space. And even the third passenger would be rather cramped. Not to mention i'd be TERRIFIED if i could even fit in the back seat of an iQ, since the rear seats are practically ON the rear bumper.

Either way, i'd still take a car with a Manual or any form of automatic transmission that's NOT a CVT any day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode