Smart Car of America Forum banner

453 ED prototype first drive

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  lebikerboy 
#1 ·
#4 ·
On Friday I received a newsletter from Smart Germany announcing that the new EDs will premiere at the Autosalon Paris next week.

It also said that the range will be "around 160 km", which is just under 100 miles. Is this marketing speak for "realistically 85 miles", due to differences in regulation agencies' formulas for calculating a car's fuel economy on both sides of the Atlantic or is this a tidbit that's actually new information?

Of course, it could perhaps only apply to the 4-door ED?

#6 ·
What it means is that the U.S. EPA is likely to rate the travel distance in the new smart EV at 85 miles. In Europe the range will be roughly 100 miles. The ratings are not guarantees in either direction. In the U.S. the ratings tend to be more accurate in terms of consistent performance under the majority of conditions and weather throughout the U.S.

Here's an example. I had a lease return customer, returning the smart EV and obtaining a new one. The problem? The battery is only "rated" for 68 miles. She lived 70 miles away. By the time she arrived to do her lease return, she managed to do so well there was still 30% remaining on her "rated for 68 miles" battery. Could she duplicate that everyday? No. Would most fair minded people want to? No. Can I? Yes. Would I want to attempt it on a daily basis? No. Because I know I'll run the battery dry when it's least convenient.

#5 ·
According to https://electrek.co/2016/09/29/smar...he-city-fortwo-and-forfour-electric-vehicles/

Technical specifications are generally the same for each vehicle:

17.6 kWh battery
60 kw (81 hp) three-phase motor
160 Nm (118 ft lbs) of torque
Top speed of 130 kmh (80 mph)
Charging time with a typical outlet is ~6 hours in EU/UK (~13 hours in the U.S.)
Charging time with the optional high-powered Wallbox is ~3.5 hours in EU (~2.5 in the UK/U.S.). This fast charger is expected to be available in 2017
ECO mode, for increased efficiency
Pre-entry climate control
‘smart control’ app for smartphones, tablets and PCs
Only a few differences are present between the variants:

Looks like Smart fortwo and forfour share the same specs, and finally supports 6.6kwh charger, so thats 40km range per hour on lv2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.