LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Question Charging Plans + Plug Type(s)

In my quest to learn as much as I can about my new (to me) smart ED, I've once again come to the experts (this forum) for wisdom.

From what I can tell, one of the things preventing widespread adoption of EVs is the lack of standardization for power. As best as I can tell (and please - please - enlighten me!) the smart ED is equipped with a Level 2 connector. Other connector types are CHAdeMO and DC Fast Combo (Tesla has its own too, I understand). There may be others.

So, if I'm looking for a public charging station, I should be looking for Level 2, correct? I'm inclined to think a DC Fast Combo might also work, but only at the Level 2 rate, which for smart EDs, is 4-5 hours for a complete charge. Any corrections so far?

According to the rather obtuse manual, in order for one to use a public charging station, the car must first be configured for "Plug & Charge" communications. Here's where it gets murky. According to my manual, "In order to use 'Plug & Charge', you have to configure the functions of your vehicle on the 'Vehicle Homepage'." As to that, the manual states: "With the "Vehicle Homepage", you can call up remote query or remote configuration functions of your vehicle. Calling up remotely is possible with every computer with Internet access and with many modern smart phones. You can reach the "Vehicle Homepage" via your web browser under the following address:
http://vh.smart.com"

Well, when I do that, I am first required to register an account and then add a vehicle. The two items needed for that are the VIN (which I have) and a VVC, which I do not. Here's where the circular logic comes in: I call MB and they tell me to contact a dealer. I contact a dealer and they have no clue. So, I'm left without the means to start the process that will allow me to connect to a charging station.

Good thing I have a station at home and an accessible 110v outlet at work (sometimes).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
No configuration required. Plug into a J1772 "level 2" station and the car will charge. The vast majority of public charging stations are J1772 "level 2", so most of the time you're good.

CCS may also work, but I doubt it. Plus I haven't seen any in the wild so it's not usually a big problem.

Tesla, CHAdeMO, and others don't work.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Is anyone familiar with this adapter, which allows EVs (specifically including smart) to use Tesla stations?

https://jdapter.quickchargepower.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSmartie View Post
No configuration required. Plug into a J1772 "level 2" station and the car will charge. The vast majority of public charging stations are J1772 "level 2", so most of the time you're good.

CCS may also work, but I doubt it. Plus I haven't seen any in the wild so it's not usually a big problem.

Tesla, CHAdeMO, and others don't work.
Well, that's a relief! So, how does one pay for the juice? Do these stations accept credit cards? And I gather they monitor how much charge you've taken so they can charge you the appropriate amount?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't charged on the road too often, but every time I did, it was free. You need to sign up for ChargePoint and PlugShare. ChargePoint sends you a key ring card to scan at their stations, but as I said, all that I've used have been free. They both have websites that show all of their locations and which ones will charge a fee.

https://www.chargepoint.com/

https://www.plugshare.com/

Len
2014 EV
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Is anyone familiar with this adapter, which allows EVs (specifically including smart) to use Tesla stations?

https://jdapter.quickchargepower.com
I've seen it advertised but for 200 USD I'm not sure of the value. Almost everywhere there is a Tesla destination charger (aka level 2) there is also a j1772 compatible charger. At least up here. In fact, there are way more J1772 L2 chargers.

Of course in CA there maybe way more Tesla chargers ...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloff View Post
I haven't charged on the road too often, but every time I did, it was free. You need to sign up for ChargePoint and PlugShare. ChargePoint sends you a key ring card to scan at their stations, but as I said, all that I've used have been free. They both have websites that show all of their locations and which ones will charge a fee.

https://www.plugshare.com/
I'd start with plugshare and set the filtering for 'public stations' and with the options just set to J1772 and include the payment required stations. That should give you a good map for your area.

Near me there is a mixed bag. When we go downtown Toronto there are several places where the charging is included in the parking fee. Other systems like ChargePoint, Flo, myEVroute etc. all have (now) a credit card reader on them. No special cards required. (Yay sanity!). Some malls have free charging to attract patrons.

The nice thing is that its improving / changing all the time.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewitzt View Post
Well, when I do that, I am first required to register an account and then add a vehicle. The two items needed for that are the VIN (which I have) and a VVC, which I do not. Here's where the circular logic comes in: I call MB and they tell me to contact a dealer. I contact a dealer and they have no clue. So, I'm left without the means to start the process that will allow me to connect to a charging station.
The VVC can only be supplied by MB and as far as I know its for the original purchaser. It is to allow you to access the vh.smart.com website and app(s) to give you remote access to the car's charge status.

@stevenvillatoro just managed to get one with his new cabrio so perhaps with appropriate begging and pleading he might be able to connect you to the people who did his...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
@stevenvillatoro just managed to get one with his new cabrio so perhaps with appropriate begging and pleading he might be able to connect you to the people who did his...

Since my ED was purchased new, the VVC was provided to me directly by the dealership.

Maybe Customer Care could offer some guidance?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Charging Plans + Plug Type(s)

My wife has ChargePoint, EVgo, EV Connect, and Blink. Selected the no monthly fee option as hers is a C-MAX Energi and has an ICE. They have different programs to benefit more frequent users...

Last edited by jzchen; 04-20-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode