Smart Car of America Forum banner

ED Insurance Rate Example List

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  SmartElectric 
#1 ·
I am curious what you all pay for ED insurance and maybe if there is a cheaper provider for me or others viewing this thread.

Please state:
Age (can be rough early/mid/late 20's 30's 40's 50's 60's)
Driving record (clean, 1pt, 2pts)
State and type of area you live (rural, suburban, urban)
Company, liability limits, collision deductible, comprehensive deductible etc
Miles driven per year
Price you pay month and or 6 month term

I guess those are the biggest variables.

I am late 20's
Clean record
CA rural (but 30 minutes from major urban)
State Farm 500k Liability $500 Collision/Comp deductibles
15,000 miles a year
$69 month/$414 6 months (my 2002 Corolla was $615!)

I will probably lower my liability to 300k since we can only hold 1 passenger and drive pretty safely (which will be proven when I use savings to buy a dashcam) sure I floor it now and again, but I know where and when to do it!

We are happy with State Farm. When my wife totalled her 2000 Subaru Outback wagon, they gave us $6900 when most comps for sale were around 4-5000. We got a $900 bonus for "clean interior" because I vacuumed it out a few days prior! But those are the little things in the "you get what you pay for" saying. I hear some companies low ball you on car comps and you have to fight for a fair price. I might look into Ameriprise through Costco. Costco is a legit company so I think I would trust who they use for car insurance even though their Kirkland rice milk is watered down!

Thanks everyone!

See less See more
#3 ·
Aw dang it. I was trying to keep it simple.

Well just post whatever info you feel like. Mine is leased coupe, just like 95% of the owners here!

I wanted the cabrio, but I figured having a clear roof 100% if the time would be cooler than a solid roof/open roof. Not to mention $3000! Still must be fun in the summer time though.

#4 ·
60's, clean record, third car with USAA. $232/six months.

3000 miles a year, 500/500 deductibles. No towing. No rental reimbursement.

300K/500K liability. Garaged in NC -suburban

Len
2014 coupe

#5 ·
Leasing 2015 smart ED coupe w/LED DRL discount, CLT NC

$380 per 6 mo - $100/250 deductibles, 7,000 miles annually, rental reimbursement

USAA - 60 something, clean driving record with TOO MANY cars . . .

Note, our 2008 smart cabrio is $290 per 6 mo

#9 ·
our rate is $965 per year. Liability is a million with $500 deductible.
Yeah, count me in as an Ontario "auto insurance loser" here, about $900 per year, $1M liability and $500 deductible.

Middle age, no accidents.

Very much regret that public auto insurance didn't get done 20 years ago, been paying through the nose to the private companies all this time, and recently, the government gave private insurance companies even more handouts (reduced payouts effectively) to boost their profitability, but we've not seen the promised reduction in rates. :shrug:

Interesting note : Our Tesla Model S is the same $ to insure as the Smart ED, but the deductible is $2000 instead of $500.

#7 ·
Age 50's, USAA, 100-300-25 liability, $1000 deductible collision and comprehensive, western Pennsylvania, $352 for 6 months. I intend to switch to State Farm, which with my multi-line (house and car) will be cheaper.

Yes, car insurance in Canada (Toronto anyway) is up there, and the way they drive on the Toronto expressways (compared to Pittsburgh anyway) I can see part of the reason.

#8 ·
Yes, car insurance in Canada (Toronto anyway) is up there, and the way they drive on the Toronto expressways (compared to Pittsburgh anyway) I can see part of the reason.
Ouch - that hurts. Sure it's the truth but with our HOV lanes now open and more of them we ED folks can use them. However the insane speeds people drive in them will cause concerns and serious battery drain trying to keep up - or worse still, ahead. :eek:

#10 ·
I'll have I check if I get the DRL discount. I don't know if the VIN tells them I have DRLs probably not.

And FWIW the fastest drivers on our street are Canadians! They will smile and wave going 40 in a 25 past dogs and kids. Their whole family speeds. I would say something, but they are the sweetest people around!

Great posts people keep em comin!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.