Are electrics better for the environment? - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Are electrics better for the environment?

I know this conversation goes around from time to time. Here's a great video on EVs and if they really are better for the environment. The tide is turning and the data backs it up.
https://youtu.be/qMJNvQ8X5Fw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Here in Pennsylvania, we have the option of buying electricity from a marketplace of different generators. I buy my electricity from 100 percent wind energy sources. Ontario, Canada electricity comes from almost all non CO2 emitting sources - mostly nuclear and hydro power (Electric service is called "hydro" up there). Electricity in the northwest US is almost entirely hydropower.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Here in Massachusetts the standard generation fleet is mostly coal. I didn't want to swap an oil burning car for a coal burning one, so I did what Yinzer does: I buy wind power.
This is the key advantage of electric cars: You can make electricity from lots of sources and choose what you like. And as technology improves, so do your choices.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:36 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
I watched the video and granted the electric cars can be more "green" in the long run you still have the problem of limited driving distance for EVs. The problem of not being able to drive over 100 miles in one day without a charge wasn't even mentioned. The electric smart truly should be marketed as a city car while the ICE smart as a touring car. My gas smart has the most comfortable seating for me, my bad back enjoys the firm backrest on long trips, unlike all the other cars/trucks I've owned. By not leadfooting the gas pedal and watching the road ahead I can easily get mpgs in the mid to high 40s. There are a few two person "sports cars" on the road but they are not advertised as a city car like the smart is. Time to advertise the smart as a different type of hybrid, city car during the week, and fun tourer on the weekends. Too bad MB didn't think of that earlier.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
EV are undoubtedly better for the environment. Why? Because the cost of electricity generation is lower for solar, wind than gas, and gas is cheaper than coal. The portion of electricity generated from coal has dropped every year in the US for the last decade.

Economically speaking the grid will move away from high cost producers to renewables, which are cheaper. Checkout the roof of your local Walmart, CostCo, Ikea, Target or similar. Odds are pretty high it has solar on it.

And if you change one generating station from coal to *anything* else ALL the EVs on the road get instantly cleaner. Something like that is a bit harder with gas or diesel vehicles. Unless of course you can contract out a few million full engine replacements to the union of fairy god mothers...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurRW View Post
The problem of not being able to drive over 100 miles in one day without a charge wasn't even mentioned.
I know this one gets run out fairly regularly but its a bit of a red herring. Sure, there are some people who drive 100's of miles a day all the time.

The problem is that the vast majority of car owners drive less than 30 miles a day most of the time. Which any EV can
do. And if you need to drive 100's of miles a day you can always go and buy something like a Bolt.

Our old ICE sits on the driveway 99% of the time because it is way cheaper to use the EV. My wife drives hundreds of miles a week going to work in our ED.

So maybe 10-12 times a year we use the ICE for a longer trip. If we hadn't already owned it I'd never have bought it after the electric. Cheaper to get a short term rental.

Just because a tiny percentage of owners need regular long range driving and fast fill-ups is pretty insignificant for the wider market.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:02 AM
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
I know this one gets run out fairly regularly but its a bit of a red herring. Sure, there are some people who drive 100's of miles a day all the time.

The problem is that the vast majority of car owners drive less than 30 miles a day most of the time. Which any EV can
do. And if you need to drive 100's of miles a day you can always go and buy something like a Bolt.

Our old ICE sits on the driveway 99% of the time because it is way cheaper to use the EV. My wife drives hundreds of miles a week going to work in our ED.

Just because a tiny percentage of owners need regular long range driving and fast fill-ups is pretty insignificant for the wider market.
If only a tiny percentage of owners needed to make regular long range trips with fast fill ups then the EVs would have a greater market in the US and there would be charging stations in every shopping center, something I'm not seeing. Would there even be such interest in EV development by auto manufacturers if it wasn't for the cafe standards, which they needed electrics for to increase the overall fleet mpgs to meet these standards?
Granted, I have no problems with electric vehicles, they just don't fit my day to day driving requirements.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
If only a tiny percentage of owners needed to make regular long range trips with fast fill ups then the EVs would have a greater market in the US and there would be charging stations in every shopping center, something I'm not seeing.
This is a pretty shallow analysis. For all practical purposes EVs haven't been on the market for even ten years. During that time they've enjoyed an annual growth in sales worldwide of 35-55%. Far in excess of any gas car. The charging stations are going to lag simply because with an EV you do most of your charging at home, or maybe at work. Again 95% of the time you don't need a charger elsewhere to make your trip.

Quote:
Would there even be such interest in EV development by auto manufacturers if it wasn't for the cafe standards, which they needed electrics for to increase the overall fleet mpgs to meet these standards?
Subjectively speaking I'd say all the Tesla fans out there would disagree. As an Smart ED owner I'd say that while I enjoy driving our ED, I would never have bought at gas Smart. Any EV owner will tell you that the immediate torque in the car makes them a hoot to drive. So the market is there.

If you're one of the minority of people who deny the climate change problem I'm not even going to go there. This forum is about Smart EVs.

Quote:
Granted, I have no problems with electric vehicles, they just don't fit my day to day driving requirements.
Its good that there's a solution for you that fits your needs. I'm just suggesting that projecting your particular needs on the entire market isn't very objective.
Yinzer likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 AM
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post

Its good that there's a solution for you that fits your needs. I'm just suggesting that projecting your particular needs on the entire market isn't very objective.
Might I suggest the same.
Yinzer likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Hey everyone, we're all Smart people here. Let's not take this to a debate about gas vs EV. They all have their applications. Let's all appreciate that we all drive a pretty awesome car regardless of it's power plant and be cool with each other. Personally, I'd like to have one of each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to emailchrishall For This Useful Post:
1983JZR3W (04-15-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode