Smart Car of America Forum banner

Got my new Smart ED (Canada)

16K views 88 replies 18 participants last post by  marc hanna 
#1 ·
I took delivery of the first Smart ED at Victoria Star Motors last night at 5pm. I'm surprised how fast this thing is. The premium audio is pretty nice too.

#4 ·
I haven't drained the battery completely yet, so I don't know actual range. The dealer told me on this vehicle it was about 160km - I'm not sure if they actually drove it that far or not. There is an "ECO" gage in the instrument cluster that tells you how efficient you are, thus enabling you to adjust your driving style to get maximum range.

I purchased it outright, and got about $4000 worth of options, such as the premium multimedia system (comes with navi, CD/DVD, bluetooth streaming/tel, touch screen, etc). I own the battery outright also. Came to just under 30K before taxes and PDI and what not. Plus the dealer took the $8500 Ontario EV rebate off the top for me.

#16 ·
Awesome...congrats! Of course I speak for all of us here who have one reserved when I say we're extremely jealous! From the partial shot of the steering wheel, looks like the rumors are true concerning the lack of steering wheel mounted REGEN controls.

Looking forward to sampling the improved power vs. the weak Car2Go ED's we have in San Diego. Maybe I'll stop by the Smart dealer today when I pick up the wife from work. Need to remind them again not to drill holes for the front license plate.

Thanks so much for posting. Makes this "dream" seem a little bit more real. The Smart ED is the 3rd EV I've had a deposit on since Jan of '08. One co. went under, I backed out on the Leaf, but I already loved owning a Smart and am really pumped about the new ED. Let's just hope my enthusiam isn't curbed by the finance options here in the US.

#31 ·
From the partial shot of the steering wheel, looks like the rumors are true concerning the lack of steering wheel mounted REGEN controls.
From what I read on this or another forum, the option for regen paddles was available in Canada as one future owner ordered his smart ED with this option. If I find the link again I'll post it here.

For the US, if the screenshot the dealer sent me from his ordering system was accurate, this option (code I79) is unfortunately not available... see this thread for more details on my investigative work:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f170/options-packages-smart-ed-around-world-48759/

#17 ·
Looking through the manual, there is an option for paddle shifters on the back of the steering wheel that control recuperation settings. There is also optional cruise control that is steering wheel mounted. I didn't have this option because I had right of first refusal on the first vehicle delivered, which was pre-configured from the factory. Otherwise I would have had to wait another 6 months.

#18 ·
makes sense that this was a pre-config car as it's in the last smart electric drive models 'launch' colors (white/ white rims / green tridion, etc.) best of luck with it as we've only seen one other Gen III but from Portugal posting any photos so far; we're also on a waiting list but looks like closer to year end for the midwest U.S.

#19 ·
The multimedia system is nice too. It's the only Benz product with a touch screen. You can stream bluetooth audio, view pictures and videos for an SD card or usb drive, play DVDs, etc. It also has multi-channel surround, clear crisp sound and a lot of bass. A bonus is that you can set the DVD region code manually up to five times so you can unlock region restrictions.

#21 ·
I got one coming in on the first batch here in San Diego. I'll stop by the Smart dealer today in a few hours and see if I spy any of the ED's on the lot yet...and pick their brain about what day mine will be available...like whether they're going to hold it back for May 1st. Hopefully they don't and I can get it sooner. =) In the mean time, I'll try to find the cord for my Nice camera so I can load some pics once I get mine. Maybe I'll be the first ED to put aftermarket rims on! Got the Genius 15x6.5 matte black's sitting in my garage right now!

#28 ·
My total cost after taxes, rebate, and everything was $26,330. That's with $4,090 in options. So if I were to have bought a base model with no options it would have been $4,621.70 less (4090+HST) = $21,708.30

Canadian funds
HST = Harmonized Sales Tax

Charging is much slower than I anticipated. The advertised 7 hours from 0 - 100% charge on a regular wall outlet, is only if you're in a country that has standard 240v wall outlets. My experience so far is that on a 110v outlet it takes 12 hrs to charge from 20 - 85%, so from 0 - 100% about 18.5 hrs.

#30 ·
Marc, were you able to get any discount off the retail price? Or was it full price? I stopped in at the Smart dealer yesterday afternoon and I was told May 3rd is when I'll be getting mine here in San Diego. Also found out that there's a speaker behind the front grill that emits a Jetson-mobile like hum to alert pedestrians. I didn't think that was mandated yet. Maybe Smart wants to be an early adopter. If it sounds annoying, I'll disconnect the speaker.

Other than that, I wasn't able to find out anything new other than I guess there's a LOT of Matte Gray color made.

My particular car is the base model with the ONLY installed option being a $99 cargo cover. Really looking forward to this, and I'm taking that whole weekend off from work to enjoy the new car. =)

In related news, the Sales Mgr seemed to think the lease would be $299, but wasn't sure. Didn't know the length of the lease term for sure, but also said that even though the lease payment was high, that she thought that it would be made up for with the low residual. Still curious to see how it all shakes out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.