User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Maximum Range Reports?

Summer is here, so we can see how far we can stretch the range of our ED's without being burdened by heater usage. I can't seem to find a thread where we can report maximum achievable range on our Smart ED's so I'm starting one here.

If a situation arises where the car gets driven from full to zero or near-zero SOC that is great, and that can be reported.

Otherwise reports can be estimates with the following info:

1. km or mi driven from a full charge;
2. Indicated state of charge at the above odometry.
3. Estimated km or mi remaining - either the car's own estimate or, if you consistently outdo the cars estimate, your own estimate.
4. Estimated ultimate range.
5. Any other useful information - speeds, weather, AC usage etc..

So I'll start with a trip yesterday:
1. Total odometry from full 70.5 miles
2. Remaining SOC - 27%
3. Car's estimated remaining miles - 19, but over the last 6 miles that I drove it, this went down by only 3 miles - so under continuing same conditions..
4. Ultimate estimated range of 105 miles/170 km.

Conditions - very warm and humid (78-87F/25-31C) rolling-hilly terrain, max speed probably 55 mph briefly, but mostly urban and suburban driving at 40 mph or less. Most miles driven by spouse who reported only sparing AC use. Final eco score 82%
cpear451 and Incochief like this.

Last edited by Yinzer; 06-12-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 10:22 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

That thread never provided much useful information as to actual range under various conditions. One thing for sure - the EPA estimate is somewhat low of what most poeple will get - but it would be useful to see how low it is.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
My range experiences
Smart Electric Drive: Range experiences

And running my Smart ED to absolute zero.
Smart Electric Drive: Running on empty, cause' that's the way I roll

My range is 40km, because that's what I drive in a typical day...so it doesn't matter if my Smart ED has more than that. l-)
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I drove 155km yesterday, as a test.
I did a 145 round trip - driving gently, never used more than25% power.
The economy meter was at 100%

Then I did an 8km round trip using the vehicle homepage, it was showing 0km range 0% charge.
I drove around the block a few times, but I got bored, total was 155 km 98% Eco.
SmartElectric and Yinzer like this.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

cbh123,

I appreciate the post - It suggests that my estimate may only be a bit high but 100mi/160km is definitely easily doable assuming expressway usage is minimal.

I know that this seems to defy some basic laws of physics, but my experience in IC engine cars is that I seem to get better fuel efficiency in hilly W. Pennsylvania and West Virginia - where I coat downhill in neutral and let the car slow down going uphill (regen in an EV) than in flat areas like Ohio, Buffalo area or S. Ontario.

I think real-world ultimate range reports are important because prospective buyers come here and range per charge under various driving condition is always the first question in their minds.

Last edited by Yinzer; 06-14-2015 at 06:49 PM.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
From the time I unplugged on May 21, to the time I plugged in on May 22, I drove 66.8 miles and had about 9 miles left in the estimate.

Based on the distance and mpkWh values for each of the four driving sessions, I used 19.72 kWh. This is high until you consider that some of those kWh were coming from regen.

From the wall, it sucked in 18.01 kWh at 120V including all conversion losses.

I keep a record, so I might have a better one, though I doubt it... I try NOT to go less than 20% SOC. Running out of battery is far worse than running out of gas... The best you can do is ask the nearest homeowner if you can plug in for 15-20 minutes (or however long you need to to get home or to a Level 2 charger) or call roadside assistance for a tow.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nconantj View Post
ask the nearest homeowner if you can plug in for 15-20 minutes (or however long you need to to get home or to a Level 2 charger) or call roadside assistance for a tow.
Call roadside if you are stranded.

I personally would not recommend plugging in at a 110V outlet if you were low on charge away from home, that would be 7km of range for every hour of charge. While that works overnight (at home or away), it is impractical for the situation you listed (short during charge to make it home).

Frankly, I haven't ever brought my OEM 110V EVSE charge connector with me since I bought the car. It's in my garage plugged in ready for my to juice up every night.

I have driven >10,000km without an EVSE in my car. I charge at home on 110V exclusively and have had zero issues.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nconantj View Post
Based on the distance and mpkWh values for each of the four driving sessions, I used 19.72 kWh. This is high until you consider that some of those kWh were coming from regen.
From the wall, it sucked in 18.01 kWh at 120V including all conversion losses
At $15c/kWh that is $2.70 for a good days driving.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I personally would not recommend plugging in at a 110V outlet if you were low on charge away from home, that would be 7km of range for every hour of charge
Assuming no level II EVSE nearby, what other alternative is there? I installed a level II outdoor EVSE (Open EVSE kit - just $425 with extra long cable) which does all the home charging. The level 1 unit, plus a 4 m extension cord, is kept in the tailgate compartment for emergency get-home charging at whatever outdoor outlet (frequently found on shopping-center parking lot light poles, for example) that can be found.

But one question. Does the Smart approaching zero SOC give any kind of sequence of warnings followed by a reduced-speed mode (like the LEAF does), or does it simply shut-down suddenly?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode