Smart Car of America Forum banner

New smart will not sync

10K views 71 replies 12 participants last post by  Yinzer 
#1 ·
We just picked up our 2016 smart Ed and after a few days I got the information to log into the car but it will not sync. Is this just a fact that the service does not really work or could I have a problem
Thanks in advance for your help

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
We just picked up our 2016 smart Ed and after a few days I got the information to log into the car but it will not sync. Is this just a fact that the service does not really work or could I have a problem
Thanks in advance for your help
The smart ED vehicle webpage is intermittently operational, but in my experience is it down more than it is up. Make sure you're using one of the supported browsers (chrome appears to be the most reliable, but Safari also works sometimes).

I'd call MB and complain. MB needs an intervention about this issue.

#17 ·
Could also be a loose SIM chip in the car. Not for nothing, but anyone who's had a SIM based cell will tell you sometimes reseating the chip will fix a phone in no time flat. These are just the equivalent of an arduino daughter board with a SIM socket pushed onto a stack somewhere (probably the SAM or in the instrument cluster somewhere). No doubt you need to have a 8 year old or a horse jockey, with tiny tiny hands, that can reach wherever it is and change it out.

On that note: Does anyone else feel like they're at the Kentucky Derby when visiting the dealer service area? It may just be me, being over 6' and a big fellow, but I suddenly feel like I should be following the yellow lines and looking for ruby slippers...

#18 ·
It hasn't worked for me during my first year of ownership. It works consistently for a few weeks and then hasn't worked at all. I will try to call Mercedes to see if they have any updated information on the problem. I recently had the 1 year service done at the dealer and they had no clue as to what I was referring to... ?. Hope it's solved soon...

#20 ·
Hi MB DNA - I am in NC. I'm in downtown Durham. I'm using Android the chrome browser. I have also tried it from my Apple Macbook using the chrome browser. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to sync at all except for the first few months of ownership.

#21 ·
The vehicle web page has been unreliable, to put it mildly, since I got my Smart ED in April. I gave up using it. But I started logging in and at least trying to use it more often (so I don't have to go outside before going to bed set the preheat departure time for my wife's variable-start time job). And suddenly over the past few days it has started working fine.

My guess is that the problem is that MB, to save money, allots too-little cellular or internet bandwidth and the sync's are "rationed" among all Smart ED owners globally - and then uses some kind of squeaky-wheel-oiling algorithm to determine who gets to communicate with their smarts.

So the only thing I can recommend is to keep trying. It seems to preferentially sync when plugged in and charging - so you might try logging in then.

#23 ·
My guess is that the problem is that MB, to save money, allots too-little cellular or internet bandwidth and the sync's are "rationed" among all Smart ED owners globally - and then uses some kind of squeaky-wheel-oiling algorithm to determine who gets to communicate with their smarts.
Your guess is as good as mine as apparently no one at M-B owns this product?

For the small EV community that M-B is having to support I don't think the cost or bandwidth of cellular is the Achilles heel of this service?

Historically it has been the server in Germany being off line and apparently no one knowing?

Maybe they should promote a M-B EV owner to VP of The Server?

#28 ·
I have never been able to sync my ED
Now with winter it would be great to preheat when ever I wanted
Don't recall your situation - new/used, purchase/lease, BAP, iOS/Android, browser, etc?

While it shouldn't matter, some or all can be contributing factors and sometimes little can be done without a "supportive" smart Center? Sadly there is little smart incentive to help as they stand to make no money (accept a happy owner?) from their efforts.

Who have you been in contact with? Sometimes it can require having a new VVC number issued.

#30 ·
Our 2015 smart electric drive manages to sync a couple of times each week. Today it's working and I really like being able to check the car's stats and monitor how it's charging. When full, it will email me, if it is still syncing! This aspect of the smart ED needs to become more reliable to be useful and I hope that they improve it asap. The new Benz electric drive uses much of the same vernacular (including the term, "electric drive") and hopefully shares a lot of technology. If it does, maybe we can hope that improvements will also help the smart.

#31 ·
Still not working. I used to think that if it had the Mercedes Benz label on it, it was 100 percent Quality with a capital "Q". The whole reputation of the nation of Germany itself is behind it!

But this vehicle webpage is total crap - even China would have made something more reliable!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.