Smart Car of America Forum banner

Speaker problem

11K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  NW453 
#1 ·
The driver's side speaker on my smart keeps cutting out (no left channel sound, or there is sound but it's very low - the balance is always set to the middle). It's actually out more often then on. I took it in and they said it was purely a software type problem, that all the connections were OK, so I'd have to wait for a programmatic type fix from smart.

That just seems... weird. Have any of you heard of this, or experienced speaker issues in your ED?

#4 ·
I took it in and they said it was purely a software type problem, that all the connections were OK, so I'd have to wait for a programmatic type fix from smart.
Lemme guess, smart center of Portland told you this? That's the biggest bunch of BS I've ever heard and I'm an electrical engineer so I've heard some nonsense in my day.

I have a 2015 ED. My speakers are not doing this, but then again, my speakers are not "software controlled" either. >:D

smart center of Portland couldn't find their backside in the dark using both hands. The word on the street says that MB of Wilsonville is going to become a smart center. If that happens, I will definitely make the run down there to give them a try. I've already been told by the BAP folks that I can take my ED to them for battery service under the BAP program as they're "electric certified".

#7 ·
Yeah, I have NEVER been impressed by the Portland smart center. Even the sales (well, leasing) process was a pretty rough affair. It definitely seems to me that smart is the ugly stepchild they'd love to get rid of. I think they just hooked it up to their machine, didn't see any error codes, heard it was one of the times the speaker was actually on, and didn't do much else. What I'd love to do is swap the left and right speakers as a test, but I'm not about to take the doors apart on a one year old car on a lease.

Thanks for the sanity check though. My plan is to give it till next week and start harassing them until a new speaker is put in.

#12 ·
Thanks for the sanity check though. My plan is to give it till next week and start harassing them until a new speaker is put in.
Good luck! I've been harassing them for 11 months now about an intermittent problem getting my car (an ED) to charge. They plug it in one time, it charges; no problem found. Nice!

Out of curiosity, does your car have the "surround sound" option? Does anybody know precisely how "standard sound" differs from "surround sound" other than the addition of the "digital amplifier" and subwoofers? That is, are the regular speakers any different?

#8 ·
My 2014 had that problem in the passenger speaker from day one. The speaker was replaced under warranty with no change to the problem. Then it also started on the drivers side. The second time at the smart center the techs just shrugged.
Coincidentally, the loaner I had while they were not fixing mine, had the same problem, too.
The source of the problem does seem to be local to the speakers, though: banging on the offending speaker turns it back on, most times.

Unless it's a really clever software trick with accelerometers in the doors to tell when someone is banging on the speaker>:D

#13 ·
Interesting. Just started having this issue in my ED and figured it was a loose wire in the harness (put a new head unit in within the first month to match the ICE). Never considered it could be the speaker. Sounds like smart got a bad batch in their early production run? My '08 Cabrio is rocking along still with just the replaced head unit.

#14 ·
The stereo in the smart is the WORST sounding car stereo I've ever had in any car for over 20 years. I would recommend getting rid of the entire thing and replace it with a better head unit and speakers.

I just ordered a nice new double-DIN radio and Focal speakers for my car. I'm hoping to install them soon.

#16 ·
If it is a 451, throw the trashy speakers away and get two new 6" coaxial speaker for $40/$50 and you will be set. I can swap out both door speakers in a 451 in 45 minutes!

It is very simple. Pull the inner door panels, take out the old speakers, trim the plastic hole a tad bigger and screw in the new ones. Just use the same wires from the old ones.

The rear speakers in back hatch area are even simpler on the 451and takes even less time. Yes the wires there are ready to go. Use a good quality 4" speaker. :yelclap:

Now on my 453, it's a nightmare, starting that next week...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.