User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Stereo speaker diagnostics.. any gurus?

My Left door speaker cuts off and on every minute or so while driving.
If I tap the radio - nothing,
sub box - nothing,
But usually when I tap the door, the speaker comes back on.

I know that on my other car (VW) with proper diagnostic software (VCDS) an open circuit in a speaker is logged as a fault.

I have the ED at the dealer and they are giving me the run around... "works fine in the shop"

I'm getting frustrated - doesn't this 2014 car have any diagnostics? Shouldn't it log a fault ?

If anyone has experience with MB software, please give me some intelligent things to ask the dealer to do!

Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
must be a loose speaker connector .. is the car still under warranty? if yes ask them to fix it
NCC1701 likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:17 PM
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,608 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbh123 View Post
I'm getting frustrated - doesn't this 2014 car have any diagnostics? Shouldn't it log a fault ?
I sincerely doubt diagnostics would show a loose speaker connection, which is the likely problem. Might also be a bad connection at the HU's harness connection, fix might be as simple as re-seating. Either way, the ship's computer wouldn't be expected to be involved.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
This is a common problem. I had it in both sides in mine since it was new, MB replaced the speakers once with no change, and the loaner I drove while they did that had the same problem!

I suspected bad crimps in the speaker connectors, so I cut them off and soldered the wires directly to the speakers - Problem solved.
jwight, NCC1701, Smart Bob and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the replies, but the "loose connection " at speaker or radio is kinda like stating the obvious. Could be a defective speaker too.
Yes the car has warranty,
Yes it is at the dealer,
And yes I've asked them to fix it. (Duh)

My post here is asking for help about the diagnostic tools available.

To repeat, my VW is able to recognize all 12 of its speakers as "shorted" or "open circuit" and logs a fault if it happens.
It also keeps a log of the mileage, date and time when the fault occurs.

The dealer is giving me the run-around saying it works in the shop.

If I knew the capabilities of the diagnostic software, I could help steer them.

I am suspicious they have not even hooked up the scan computer, because the speaker works when they pulled the car into the shop.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSmartie View Post
This is a common problem. I had it in both sides in mine since it was new, MB replaced the speakers once with no change, and the loaner I drove while they did that had the same problem!

I suspected bad crimps in the speaker connectors, so I cut them off and soldered the wires directly to the speakers - Problem solved.
Oh this is helpful.... thanks
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Just from the dealer this morning - I asked if they could send the car home with a tech...

"The technician did just come in and mentioned that the sound did not cut out at all on his ride home (he lives just outside of the city) or this morning on the ride in.

At this time there is nothing we can go on in terms of getting repairs completed via warranty."

So since they are refusing to help, is there a write up on getting at the speaker? - I think I read the outer door skin comes off.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Follow evilutions instructions for replacing the speakers (short of actually replacing them). Yes, you have to get at them from the outside, and it's a bit tricky, but doable without special tools. Don't cut the door liner - you can just pull it back from the corner to expose the wiring.

In defense of the smartcenter: intermittent problems are notoriously hard to diagnose. As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, you can't fix it". I.e. unless the problem happens while the technician is looking at it, and stays long enough for him to follow basic troubleshooting, he'll never find the cause. And since troubleshooting involves taking the door apart, which will rattle the intermittent connection enough to make the problem go away, there is no chance for them to ever find it.

I didn't really find the cause of the problem either. Just did the soldering on suspicion, and a couple years of intermittance-free driving are the proof that it worked.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

My problem is very consistent... there has not been a 5 minute trip that does not have the problem for 6 months now.

it probably does not happen at higher volume, - I think delicate connections seem to work better with more current... I asked them to listen to CBC radio (preset 1) at normal volumes -maybe I need to get more specific.. (it happens on all media/stations - but I don't listen to other stuff often.... so I cant say how much the actual content changes the intermittent behaviour) the tech probably blasted RAP music all the way home - LOL

I am 99% certain that it will happen to me on the way home from the MB dealer...
they have at least told me that if I capture the problem on a video (cell phone laws bedamned??) they will investigate further.

It is certainly not easy to diagnose intermittent issues.. but that is NO REASON to not try. I mean this is a MB dealer -

what would happen with a fat cat in an S-CLass that has this issue... I suspect they would dig into it.

also, with some very delicate wiggling of the offending connector (if that turns out to be my case) I am sure I could recreate the issue.

troubleshooting is skill, and the first step is understanding that intermittent things DO HAPPEN!

I don't accept their refusal to even look... its not like I invented this issue.. I for sure have better things to do with my time.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Driver door speaker started doing that periodically on my leased '13. Didn't do anything because it didn't occur that often. The frequency of yours would be very annoying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode