User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Unexpected range

We've got about 600 miles on our ED now and it seems to have exceptionally good range while driving around the city. My wife averages just barely under 1 mile per 1% of SOC while tooling around running errands in stop and go traffic in our moderately hilly neighborhood. Typically, over the course of a couple of days, she will drive something like 45 miles and the SOC will will show 52-53% or around there. These early summer days have been in the 60-80 degree F. range so we're mostly not using the A/C nor heater.

I've done a basic GPS validation of the odometer and it seems to be accurate within my error of measurement, which is probably 2-3% max. So yesterday I decided to go out into the country and drive a curvy, winding loop which contains most 35-45 MPH speed limit roads with minimal stop signs but lots of little ups and downs. I gave up after about 90 minutes and returned home. Final tally was 63 miles and remaining SOC was around 47%. I've run the SOC down to 20% but no lower. Can it really be that if we ran it to 0% SOC, that we could go 120 miles in this manner? And maybe if my wife drives since she is 75 pounds lighter than me?

On the flip side, we've done about 55 miles of almost strictly freeway in moderate traffic at speeds averaging 65 MPH and got the SOC down to 20%, so that seems about spot on.

No modifications other than a precision alignment (factory alignment toe settings were terrible and would have probably led to the tires being worn out in 15k miles or less). I'm using 30/34 PSI front/rear.

Seems unusual, no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Consider yourself lucky, or gifted. I'm envious!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Definitely no complaints! But I haven't seen any other complaints about large non-linearities with the SOC meter in the bottom half or as it approaches zero.

All in all, this was a one-off experiment to see what kind of range I could get under close to ideal conditions. I doubt I'd have the patience to do this again, nor would I consider regularly trying to eek out the last bit of efficiency at the expense of driving it in a fun manner. It is good to know that if we got into a situation where it would be a reach to get home, that I know how much more range I could expect by driving differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredAgain View Post
No modifications other than a precision alignment (factory alignment toe settings were terrible and would have probably led to the tires being worn out in 15k miles or less). I'm using 30/34 PSI front/rear.
Very interesting! Because I get average range in my smart (maybe 90-100 mi if driven carefully in hyper-mileing mode 30-45 mph in warm weather) and also, my rear tires (mostly driving in said mode) only lasted about 16,000 miles!

But my understanding is that aside from front toe, the alignment is not adjustable on the Smart. Did the alignment shop install some aftermarket stuff to make the camber and rear toe adjustable?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:49 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
When clients ask me "what range" they should expect, I stick STRICTLY to the EPA averages. I believe the EPA claims for the smart EV are very fair, and very accurate based on how I would prefer to use the car. I do believe if necessary I can definitely modify my driving and usage behavior to exceed 80 miles, and I can definitely be an energy hog and get less than 68 miles.

In my opinion, there are far too many lease returns not being purchased on the strict idea that "the car doesn't get enough range" or "the car doesn't get 68 miles" even though TIME AND TIME AGAIN many owners of vehicles just aren't willing to exercise anything beyond lazy thinking to achieve the 68 miles.

Many of these folks literally look at the instrument cluster and see "45 miles (or any number lower than 68)" and give up thinking the range is only "45 miles." No!... silly! It's a predictive number, based on past and current usage. So if you're sitting in a parking lot for 30 minutes with the a/c running, it's going to continually give you a lower number because you're wasting energy and aren't going anywhere.

And then they don't even drive the car for 45 miles because they are too scared, and then 3 years later they're blaming the car and bringing it back and buying a Toyota hybrid or a really expensive EV car like a Tesla or Chevy Bolt, when some of those folks could have taken advantage of what they had but were too scared (or brain dead) to use (the smart and it's $100/some per month payment).
Smart Bob likes this.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
Very interesting! Because I get average range in my smart (maybe 90-100 mi if driven carefully in hyper-mileing mode 30-45 mph in warm weather) and also, my rear tires (mostly driving in said mode) only lasted about 16,000 miles!

But my understanding is that aside from front toe, the alignment is not adjustable on the Smart. Did the alignment shop install some aftermarket stuff to make the camber and rear toe adjustable?
No, I left the camber alone. I don't recall the exact values but they were relatively consistent side to side and negative all around. I had pretty significant toe in from the factory both front and rear. Because our Smart is mostly going to be a lower speed vehicle, I had it set to 1/32 toe in both fronts, and had it set to zero toe at the rear, so I'd get a little bit of dynamic toe out under power and at speed. The idea behind that was to help the rear end rotate a bit, and it seems to have reduced some of the relentless understeer with the OEM wheels. It's definitely more stable at highway speeds and transitioning from going straight to turning at high speeds.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_smart_LA View Post
When clients ask me "what range" they should expect, I stick STRICTLY to the EPA averages. I believe the EPA claims for the smart EV are very fair, and very accurate based on how I would prefer to use the car.
I think some of the issue is in interpreting the EPA averages. For the 2015 ED, it is "107 combined city/highway, 122 MPGe city, 93 MPGe highway, and 32 kwh/100 miles". I'm not even sure how the EPA intended that to be interpreted. As someone who wasn't concerned with this specific thing during my entire process in buying this car, I **still** don't know how to interpret it and deduce a "range" from it. If I had to guess right now, I'd use the "32 kwh/100 miles, and based on the 17.6 kwh battery pack size, calculate it's good for 55 miles.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:33 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,328 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_smart_LA View Post
In my opinion, there are far too many lease returns not being purchased on the strict idea that "the car doesn't get enough range" or "the car doesn't get 68 miles"...
The HUGE residual buyout at lease end on an ED is the kiss of death to purchase.

Why buy for $12-14,000 when the off-lease marketplace is flooded with sub-$6k low mileage ED's?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:43 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB DNA View Post
The HUGE residual buyout at lease end on an ED is the kiss of death to purchase.

Why buy for $12-14,000 when the off-lease marketplace is flooded with sub-$6k low mileage ED's?
I would do the same, but the market is flooded with low cost ones because there are many suckers out there who had the car and refused to believe it would achieve 68 miles simply because the gauge would often read less than that. So too many return the vehicle and don't lease a replacement smart, and even if they could get their vehicles for less than that the price has to be artificially low before they are sold.

That bug has hit other EV vehicles as well. The overwhelming majority of the time when an EV driver claims their vehicle doesn't achieve the advertised EPA figures it is because they quite simply don't know how to use their car properly.
Miss Mercedes likes this.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:47 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredAgain View Post
I think some of the issue is in interpreting the EPA averages. For the 2015 ED, it is "107 combined city/highway, 122 MPGe city, 93 MPGe highway, and 32 kwh/100 miles". I'm not even sure how the EPA intended that to be interpreted. As someone who wasn't concerned with this specific thing during my entire process in buying this car, I **still** don't know how to interpret it and deduce a "range" from it. If I had to guess right now, I'd use the "32 kwh/100 miles, and based on the 17.6 kwh battery pack size, calculate it's good for 55 miles.
I know how, but my explanation of it won't be any better than what is explained on the monroney sticker. I suggest you re-read your monroney sticker and hopefully eventually what it explains you will figure out. It's as clear and concise of an explanation that is possible in such a limited space.
Miss Mercedes likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode