User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Thumbs up Yep, Gonna Need New Rear Tires...

...Before my lease ends. And it's my fault. I can technically baby the tires and bring them back in without changing them. But...

I can't help myself. I'm 3,000 miles into this smart EV and I'm hard launching, accelerating into turns, ducking and dodging between other vehicles, and out-maneuvering any other car on the road that I can just because I can. Brief peel-outs until the ASR kicks in is worth it.

The rear tires are going to be the sacrifice. Hey, I'm chalking up the $200 extra expense to having fun.
CROCK 42 likes this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister_smart_LA For This Useful Post:
Brabus007 (01-11-2014), MB DNA (01-11-2014), Miss Mercedes (01-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 05:55 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,328 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
So is that advantage ICE, longer tire life as you can't break the tires loose on acceleration...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 06:11 PM

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,479 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Garage
AFAIK - You don't break loose in the ED either. The smart rep encouraged me to do a full throttle start in the ED when I was testing it. Other than the immediate rush of power it didn't do a thing to those rear tyres.

However, the Continentals are crap anyway. 19k of spirited driving and mine were almost ready to be set out to pasture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonspinnazz View Post
AFAIK - You don't break loose in the ED either. The smart rep encouraged me to do a full throttle start in the ED when I was testing it. Other than the immediate rush of power it didn't do a thing to those rear tyres.

However, the Continentals are crap anyway. 19k of spirited driving and mine were almost ready to be set out to pasture.
The Conti's are EXCELLENT!!! Whatchyootalkin'boutNEON??

They have superb grip in rainy weather and dry weather. They're the best rain/dry tire available on smarts IMO. They're awful in snow, but that's the tradeoff. It's a great Summer tire.

The ESP will let you chirp tires before kicking in. You can also get the tires to skid on aggressive turns.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister_smart_LA For This Useful Post:
Miss Mercedes (01-11-2014)
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB DNA View Post
So is that advantage ICE, longer tire life as you can't break the tires loose on acceleration...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
For some reason, and I can't prove this, but, it seems to me that either my smart car driving skill has improved, OR, the ESP is a little less aggressive on the 2013+ smarts. I've been able to get the tires to slightly chirp and ESP to behave a little less aggressively going into turns.

Or, it could just be a mental thing with me. Keep in mind though, my Pure is an '09 and my BRABUS is also an '09. The ESP on those seems hyper aggressive, while the '13's/'14's seem to allow a little (slightly) more fun IMO...
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 07:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_smart_LA View Post
The Conti's are EXCELLENT!!! Whatchyootalkin'boutNEON??
Whoops, I need to get better at being descriptive!

My Contis had no problem ripping me around curves, taking me across light snow, gripping in the rain, and dealing with a 19-20 year old with a need for speed.

What they sucked at was wearing. They were below 50% at only 19k. My Kumhos still have waaaaay more than 50% and they're nearing the same mileage. Mind you, my alignment is worse now than it was when I had the Contis.

Despite that, the Kumhos suck whenever there's more than a drop of water on the road. I've had a few near misses because the Kumhos failed where the Contis would've shined. And while I used to say they were better, they really aren't better than the Contis in the snow.

During the recent "snowpocalypse" event, I gave the Kumhos a solid "F". I got stuck in snow that was literally two inches deep, stuff the Contis dealt with easily. Then on ice, the Kumhos tried to throw the arse end around, another thing the Contis never did.

That said, the Contis are too expensive and wear too much for me to even consider buying them ever again.

Next time, I'm going for Primewell (I have good experience with that brand), Yokohama, Firestone, something other than Kumho or Continental.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Mercedes For This Useful Post:
Mister_smart_LA (01-11-2014)
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Smile

Quote:
Whoops, I need to get better at being descriptive!

My Contis had no problem ripping me around curves, taking me across light snow, gripping in the rain, and dealing with a 19-20 year old with a need for speed.

What they sucked at was wearing. They were below 50% at only 19k. My Kumhos still have waaaaay more than 50% and they're nearing the same mileage. Mind you, my alignment is worse now than it was when I had the Contis.

Despite that, the Kumhos suck whenever there's more than a drop of water on the road. I've had a few near misses because the Kumhos failed where the Contis would've shined. And while I used to say they were better, they really aren't better than the Contis in the snow.

During the recent "snowpocalypse" event, I gave the Kumhos a solid "F". I got stuck in snow that was literally two inches deep, stuff the Contis dealt with easily. Then on ice, the Kumhos tried to throw the arse end around, another thing the Contis never did.
Below 50% at 19,000 miles?? That's decent for a sport Summer tire!

As far as the rear end whipping out, I found that the Conti's will do that too on icy surfaces. The ESP is almost permanently on at that point preventing the car from picking up any speed... although that is necessary. And don't even think about trying to climb uphill on an icy road. You might as well shut down the road because the smart will fight its way up the hill side to side at like 5 mph's!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister_smart_LA For This Useful Post:
Miss Mercedes (01-11-2014)
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:02 PM

Garage
Indeed! However, with the miles I now drive (how am I doing 20k a year!?!?!? :eek I need something that'll last me a little more than the Contis were aiming for.

The Kumhos are doing that...but well...the whole wet weather thing.
Mister_smart_LA (01-11-2014)
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Quote:
Indeed! However, with the miles I now drive (how am I doing 20k a year!?!?!? :eek I need something that'll last me a little more than the Contis were aiming for.

The Kumhos are doing that...but well...the whole wet weather thing.
Grab a set of used Pure wheels from somebody and slap some Blizzacks on those rims for the Winters. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 PM

Garage
Now that I think about it, I would buy Blizzaks again, just not the WS60. When I had them I was underwhelmed by their dry performance. They would drive on dry ground like my Kumhos handle wet ground. And they had some pretty weak sidewalls.

But I do know that they do make higher speed, stronger winters so that's always an idea.

It was very pleasant driving them on snow. No drama, no wheelspin, the esp light didn't even flash. Genius technology considering they weren't even studded!
Nicki2377 (01-12-2014)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode