Smart Car of America Forum banner

Fire

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  jimvw57 
#1 ·
My smart caught on fire yesterday. Was there a recall I missed?

#4 ·
I was cruising along the highway when the engine light came on, and I suddenly lost power. I pulled off at the next exit which was about a quarter mile ahead, and stalled on the off ramp. I saw smoke in my rear view mirror, jumped out of the car and saw flames coming from underneath the car in the rear. The photo tells the rest.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-HDjbRpUrxlSHJoUUJaTW5lbFE

#13 ·
Huh, that story is amazingly similar to what happened to my 451.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f353/guys-did-i-just-kill-my-car-125785/

In the end, after I got the 453 I continued investigating what happened with my 451. Judging by the charred insulation and the melted wires, my engine did in fact catch on fire. Why it stopped is beyond me, maybe the oil was the accelerant and once that was burned away the fire went with it.

But I was able to get my little guy back on the road after some time in the burn ward.

Sorry about your car, it always makes me cry to see burned, crashed, ruined smarties. :(

#8 ·
last one we saw similar to that, the car had just been serviced and they found a rag was left on the motor that fell up against the exhaust and caught fire. Mine was an electrical fire and started in the SAM and was dripping melted plastic on my feet before I could get stopped.

On the same note, my son's Grand Prix gt also caught fire so it is not that uncommon for cars to catch fire.

#16 ·
Smart has a safety feature that unlocked all the doors so we could get out, and pull our stuff out the back before it got too 'hot'.

what was left of the SAM

and yes, I carry a fire extinguisher. Mtn Dew does not work well for putting out an electrical fire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.