SCOA Club

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,147 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Easy Head-Light Pod Removal/ Horn Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
Why not just post the procedure so everyone can see...
Here's HOW TO-

TAKE OUT YOUR HEADLIGHT PODS WITHOUT REMOVING THE FRONT OF YOUR CAR, OR SIDESKIRTS:

You will first follow the excellent photos and description on Evilution and stop before removing the pictured bottom side torx 25 bolt at the Bottom of the fender as shown in the link below.

It is not necessary to remove the side skirts, or the turn signal repeater since the fender will not be coming off the car.
Thank YOU Kane very, very much for the Evilution Link that follows:
Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

I do remove all three screws including the one holding the retaining strap for the flap and the pins on each fender just below the innermost bottom edge of each head lamp. A tack puller is great for these pins.
Once you have worked your way down just prior to removing the fender bolt, the fender is now floppy loose and can be easily bowed out by hand since it is springy and highly flexible, so that a screw driver can be inserted to loosen the third screw beneath the rear of the headlight pod. If you scroll past the lower fender bolt location on the evilution site above, you will see the red circled locations of the pod bolts...
Unscrew, lift out the pods, and unplug. Piece of cake.
YOU now also have access to the wimpy horn. The Wolo Bad boy will mount on the original horn mount and plug right into the OEM connectors. AS always, orientation is important. You don't want your air horn gurgling or drowning. Wolo's are usually stocked by Harbor Freight. Nautilus compact truck horns are similar but have a singular 300 Hz. Deep voice. Perfect for tiny cars!
So, you have now removed the headlight pods, accessed the horn, and NOT had to completely denude the front of your car, NOT get a friend to help, NOT have had access to padding to place your fenders on so they don't get scratched on the pavement, NOT dealt with unplugging fog lights or Brabus air dams OR side skirts, NOT dealt with jacking the car, which means owning a jack so you could remove the wheel to gain access to the horn through the wheel well etc.
I do recommend protecting the fender from the screw driver when removing the bottom rear pod screw, and using a magnetic screw driver so you don't drop that pod screw. They are like marbles. They will always roll to the furtherest most unreachable location UNDER the piano. I always keep one of those handy so I know exactly where the dropped screws will be!

Last edited by BB Benz; 11-16-2011 at 02:33 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BB Benz For This Useful Post:
JamesWeatherford (02-16-2012), jetfuel (11-16-2011), jwight (11-16-2011), KP4 smart (11-16-2011), redoregon (11-17-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 4,819 Times in 2,789 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks very much! I think the original horn replacement thread by SMART (remember him?) used this technique since he didn't remove the front panels.

Tutorial: Replacing the factory horn
#3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
But what do you do if you don't have a piano?
(Thank you for the excellent tutorial.)
The Following User Says Thank You to mvaldes For This Useful Post:
BB Benz (11-16-2011)
#4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Mad about smarts and Cats
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,147 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaldes View Post
But what do you do if you don't have a piano?
(Thank you for the excellent tutorial.)
Then use that cop car that always pops out of the tailgate when you speed.
I always find that piano in my back pocket AFTER weighing in at the Dr.'s office.
The Following User Says Thank You to BB Benz For This Useful Post:
mvaldes (11-17-2011)
#5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I had my WOLO Bad Boy installed in front of the radiator. I wanted it more front-and-center.

(this pic taken when I had damaged right front quarter replaced)
#6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Red Rocket
SCOA Club

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I'll chime in.... I have had mine out several times and easily, I have it apart in about 5 minutes. Pulling the side skirts and everything. Don't be deterred, it sounds much harder than it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode