To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,724 Times in 846 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
How to change your smart's oil and filter

I was changing the oil today in the smart and had the camera out so I decided to get some shots of changing the oil. It's not that difficult to do yourself and provides a level of Do-It-Yourself satisfaction!

When should you change the oil? The smartUSA maintenance schedule specifies 1 year or 10,000 miles, so do not wait any longer than these intervals. However, many of us choose to change the oil more frequently. I have had multiple samples of my used oil analyzed by a laboratory (Blackstone Labs) and it looks like 7,500 miles will be a comfortable mileage for me. But, this will vary with your driving conditions and environment.

1. Check your tools! Make sure you've got a 24mm socket and you might also need an oil filter wrench if it's on tight.

2. If you are going to send a sample of your oil off for testing (not required, just a geeky thing to do), get the sample bottle ready to collect a specimen as the oil drains.

3. Back the car up on ramps for easier access to everything.

4. Make sure you've got 3.5 quarts of new synthetic oil and an appropriate filter handy. I use Mobil1 0W-40 or 0W-30 oil and a Mobil1 M1-108 oil filter.

5. You can use the built-in carpet clip to hold the engine cover carpet out of the way, but I prefer to use a wooden dowel - it does a better job, IMO.

6. Remove the engine cover being careful not to lose the twist lock bolt.

7. Check out the old filter and oil drain plug for any signs of damage or leaking.

8. Remove the drain plug and then the oil filter. The drain plug is typically very tight and you may need a short piece of pipe on your wrench to break it loose.

9. If you have a decent sized pan/bucket, you can collect the used oil in the same container. Pull the dipstick loose and/or remove the oil fill cap on the top of the engine so there is no vacuum preventing the oil from draining freely.

10. Open one quart of new oil and fill the new oil filter - thanks for the tip, jetfuel!

11. Make sure you coat the rubber gasket of the new filter in oil and then install. I hand tighten my new filter and don't use a wrench to avoid overtightening it (torque to 10 ft/lb*).

12. If so inclined, replace the crush washer and reinstall drain plug (torque to 48 ft/lb*). I will reuse the crush washer through a couple of oil changes and some owners have reused the same washer several times without problems. It just depends on your comfort level.

13. Use a funnel and add the remaining 3+ quarts of oil. Mobil1 0W-40 is recommended by smartUSA, but I am using Mobil1 0W-30 AFE in this photo to see if it improves fuel economy. 2012 Update: I decided that the 0W-30 made no difference in fuel economy and have switched back to 0W-40. If you deviate from the 0W-40 recommended, make sure it is appropriate for your climate and driving conditions.

14. Ensure that the dipstick and oil fill cap are in place, take the car off the ramps, run the engine for a minute or so, let it sit for 5 minutes, and then check the oil level with the dipstick. Add more oil if necessary, but don't overfill, and double check the dipstick and oil fill cap to make sure they are tight.

15. Replace the engine cover, put the carpet back down and you're good to go!

16. Don't forget to make a copy of the receipt for your oil filter and oil and then write the date and mileage when you performed the oil change. You can also write down other checks your performed like inspecting the air filter. Keep this information in your file for documentation.

* Source: http://owners.smartusa.com
recyclerob likes this.

Last edited by rfernatt; 10-15-2012 at 04:55 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rfernatt For This Useful Post:
Betinajp (08-28-2011), recyclerob (08-30-2011), SonicSpoon (03-16-2013), TravelingLight2 (03-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 02:23 PM
To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Garage
And, if you have an aftermarket engine mount, it's also a good time to check the bolts and inspect the mount. Just in case!

The Following User Says Thank You to rfernatt For This Useful Post:
carsmart5555 (08-16-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 03:09 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Note. Use the appropriate Weight oil for your climate. It can get cold up here during the oils life. I'm not even sure they sell 0 w 30 up here

And I have always been able to hand loosen that filter. No filter wrench needed
#4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
That seems easy...

Nice top see it all in Pics there.. Going to be doing my own oil changes... good to see it in step form.. and nice to know it looks easy.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 03:27 PM
To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestacademy View Post
Note. Use the appropriate Weight oil for your climate. It can get cold up here during the oils life. I'm not even sure they sell 0 w 30 up here

And I have always been able to hand loosen that filter. No filter wrench needed
+1 on appropriate oil for climate, but from my understanding, you can't beat 0W for cold climates. The 30 or 40 would only matter in hot climates. The south would be better served by the 40 while the rest of us are probably good with 30.

I could probably loosen the filter by hand, but hey, I have the filter wrench so might as well use it.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 04:14 PM
SCOA Club

Is there any problem getting all the oil from the engine when using the ramps?

Great photos!
#7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 04:25 PM
To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa6611 View Post
Is there any problem getting all the oil from the engine when using the ramps?

Great photos!
Not that I've noticed, but I haven't measured what comes out. I just let it drain until it starts to drip and figure that's close enough.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 05:43 PM
JOIN SCOA YOU'LL BE GLAD
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,878 Times in 915 Posts
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
...one more for oil changes...
...fill the new filter with clean oil until full...let it seat there for a few minutes...fill again...do this until full...then istall filter....your engine will thank you...

jetfuel...just killing time 'til friday night thread pops up...
#9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 06:04 PM

Garage
Synthetic Oil...

I am not sure what OIL is in the car at the moment... The dealer told me he did a oilchange just before I bought the car... not that I dont believe him...BUT I am going to change OIL and FILTER myself. Can I use synthetic OIL even if they had NORMAL OIL before??? I got me some MOBIL ONE 0W 30.... and another thing... I have a good oil filter I bought...( FRAM EXTENDED GUARD)... I am assuming I can use that...never used synthetic oil before... thanks .. and sorry if I am asking DUMB NEWBIE QUESTIONS.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Smart 451 engine... Note drain plug...

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode