LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
2014 smart fortwo passion with 15K Advice

Good Evening
I just found and put a deposit on a 2014 smart fortwo passion

We haggled a bit and test drove. The smile on my face when she got done with her test drive was priceless! The car seems fine during my test drive an air bag light came on and my wife noticed a brake light was out. I brought my OBD2 reader and while there was not check engine light on but it did have a code U0001 High Speed CAN Communication Bus. It was also missing part of the smart emblem on the back just "sma"

The dealer is just down the street from Benzel-Busch smart center Englewood, so they said they would bring it to them to have everything looked at as it was still under warranty.

The tire were fair brakes felt good but I assume at 15k they could be coming to the end of their life.

My questions are
Are there major concerns with what I have mentioned? Or just normal Smart things that crop up
Where is the wheel lug lock key kept?

Thanks for your time this forum looks great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaccaro View Post
Good Evening

We haggled a bit and test drove. The smile on my face when she got done with her test drive was priceless! The car seems fine during my test drive an air bag light came on and my wife noticed a brake light was out.
Break light should be easy fix with bulb replacement. As for the SRS light, could be a loose connector under either seat for the seat side airbags - should be a fix under warranty.

Quote:
It was also missing part of the smart emblem on the back just "sma"
Naughty children. Doubt dealer would replace. You can find the 'smart' letter decal online. Or just remove the 'sma'.

Quote:
With the seller or prior owner. You will need that key, else that tire is staying put. No key would be a deal break for me.

And be sure the car comes with two working ignition key fobs - they are uber expensive to replace.

Happy Holidays everyone - and an awesome 2017.
jwight, Neonspinnazz and jzchen like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevenjb For This Useful Post:
vaccaro (12-24-2016)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! My wife's last car was a chevy aveo, we got that with 40K on it and it served us pretty well for the last 7 years now it still an okay car but there always worry related to it." will that dam timing belt break?"

We are hoping to get a great life from this little car.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,123 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Garage
The U0001 is a very common item, most likely caused by a phone charger with a bit of voltage left in it when the car was shut off. I would be more concerned about the tire locks
The Following User Says Thank You to jimvw57 For This Useful Post:
vaccaro (12-24-2016)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)

I keep my wheel lock key in the glove compartment in front of the passenger seat. It could possibly be in the bottom door panel in the "trunk". Those things can be a pain to remove. I agree that you better find it somehow...

Benzel used to have a great www.smartonlineparts.com website. Seems like it's no longer there. I did check on Benzel-Busch's website, and the catalog was not there last time I checked...

Last edited by jzchen; 12-24-2016 at 10:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jzchen For This Useful Post:
vaccaro (12-24-2016)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 09:47 AM

Thanked 2,121 Times in 1,446 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Good Evening

We haggled a bit and test drove. The smile on my face when she got done with her test drive was priceless! The car seems fine during my test drive an air bag light came on and my wife noticed a brake light was out. I brought my OBD2 reader and while there was not check engine light on but it did have a code U0001 High Speed CAN Communication Bus. It was also missing part of the smart emblem on the back just "sma"

The dealer is just down the street from Benzel-Busch smart center Englewood, so they said they would bring it to them to have everything looked at as it was still under warranty.

The tire were fair brakes felt good but I assume at 15k they could be coming to the end of their life.

My questions are
Are there major concerns with what I have mentioned? Or just normal Smart things that crop up

Thanks for your time this forum looks great
Hiya!!!! Welcome to our lovely asylum!!!!!

To answer your questions:

1. Brake light: These cars sometimes have the tendency to eat bulbs, usually if the previous owner used them allllllllll the time. Easy to replace though.

2. Air bag light: Were any of the seatbelts jammed when the light was on? Sometimes if you take a corner at speed or pull too hard on the seatbelt, the SRS will lock the seatbelt and hold it for dear life until the light comes on. Lightly tugging will disengage the lock and the light will turn off on the next engine cycle. Either way, dealer ought to fix that, same with that CANBus error.

3. sma: Well, the emblems pretty much never fall off. Since it was obviously caused by some shenanigans with the previous owner and the burden shouldn't be passed onto you, I'd ask the dealer to replace... I mean, it is the car's badge!!!

4. Wheel locks: I assume this car has custom wheels, as I haven't seen any smarts with wheel locks outside a Brabus here and there and folks with custom wheels. Either have them find the key, or have the dealer extract that lug bolt out and replace with one that doesn't have a lock. Doubt they'll do it for free though.

5. Brakes/Tyres: Neither should be close to being worn out at 15k...however, if that car has custom wheels, it could be very possible.

Hope it all works out!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Neonspinnazz For This Useful Post:
vaccaro (12-24-2016)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 09:54 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,178 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Either the timing belt will break or one of the guide pulleys will fail and turn the engine into junk if they are not replaced with oem or equal quality parts. The only question is, when will they fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustedwrench For This Useful Post:
vaccaro (12-24-2016)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your in-depth answers. You have made this a much nicer decision
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

here is the car. It does look like stock rimes, in the picture it looked like there were special keyed lug nuts

2014 Smart Fortwo PassionCOMFORT PACKAGEPANORAMA ROOF In Hasbrouck Heights NJ - C&K Auto Imports

We should pick up the Car on Tuesday! WOOT. Ive dealt with quite a few used car dealers but they seem okay, hopefully they will have addressed those few issues.

Again thank you for taking the time.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)

Just took a peek at the ad. Those look like the standard 15mm lug nuts. It was blurry... (The standard lugs had hollow centers, I'm assuming so the wheels could break away in an accident. The OE locks have a similar design feature if I recall correctly.)

McGard sells locks for the standard wheels, and aftermarket wheels had a tendency to use the OE bolts?.?. Those definitely look like OE wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kheran likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jzchen For This Useful Post:
vaccaro (12-24-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode