Originally Posted by vaccaro
I just found and put a deposit on a 2014 smart fortwo passion
We haggled a bit and test drove. The smile on my face when she got done with her test drive was priceless! The car seems fine during my test drive an air bag light came on and my wife noticed a brake light was out. I brought my OBD2 reader and while there was not check engine light on but it did have a code U0001 High Speed CAN Communication Bus. It was also missing part of the smart emblem on the back just "sma"
The dealer is just down the street from Benzel-Busch smart center Englewood, so they said they would bring it to them to have everything looked at as it was still under warranty.
The tire were fair brakes felt good but I assume at 15k they could be coming to the end of their life.
My questions are
Are there major concerns with what I have mentioned? Or just normal Smart things that crop up
Where is the wheel lug lock key kept?
Thanks for your time this forum looks great
Hiya!!!! Welcome to our lovely asylum!!!!!
To answer your questions:
1. Brake light: These cars sometimes have the tendency to eat bulbs, usually if the previous owner used them allllllllll the time. Easy to replace though.
2. Air bag light: Were any of the seatbelts jammed when the light was on? Sometimes if you take a corner at speed or pull too hard on the seatbelt, the SRS will lock the seatbelt and hold it for dear life until the light comes on. Lightly tugging will disengage the lock and the light will turn off on the next engine cycle. Either way, dealer ought to fix that, same with that CANBus error.
3. sma: Well, the emblems pretty much never fall off. Since it was obviously caused by some shenanigans with the previous owner and the burden shouldn't be passed onto you, I'd ask the dealer to replace... I mean, it is the car's badge!!!
4. Wheel locks: I assume this car has custom wheels, as I haven't seen any smarts with wheel locks outside a Brabus here and there and folks with custom wheels. Either have them find the key, or have the dealer extract that lug bolt out and replace with one that doesn't have a lock. Doubt they'll do it for free though.
5. Brakes/Tyres: Neither should be close to being worn out at 15k...however, if that car has custom wheels, it could be very possible.
Hope it all works out!!!