Smart Car of America Forum banner

Bike Rack - two single bikes

15K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  jmartinsmart 
#1 · (Edited)
I've made a very simple bike rack that fits the two tow fitting in the rear bumper. The two 3/4" black pipe (1 1/16 OD) tubes screw into the bumper fittings and hold two sets of Yakima Boa fork clamp bike mounts. With bikes mounted the rear window still opens. I have used the rack and there is very little bike movement over bumps. Rear visability is still good. The rear wheel of each bike are wider than the car by about 6 inches. Since I'm a new member I don't think I can add pictures, but I will try later if anyone is interested. Happy Smart biking!

#2 ·
Burdima - Sounds like you're thinking the same as I. (smile) I was looking at the Boa mounts, however, wasn't sure how secure they would be so was thinking of using the High Roller. The Boa mounts would be much cheaper for sure.... and I'm anxious to see pictures of your design so hope you can figure out how to post the pictures.

How far do your pipes protrude from the rear of your car? Did you screw the pipes directly in to the tow fittings?

Many thanks for posting your design ideas..... at least now I know it can be done.

Best wishes,
Steve

#5 ·
Burdima - Sounds like you're thinking the same as I. (smile) I was looking at the Boa mounts, however, wasn't sure how secure they would be so was thinking of using the High Roller. The Boa mounts would be much cheaper for sure.... and I'm anxious to see pictures of your design so hope you can figure out how to post the pictures.

How far do your pipes protrude from the rear of your car? Did you screw the pipes directly in to the tow fittings?

Many thanks for posting your design ideas..... at least now I know it can be done.

Best wishes,
Steve
The pipes are welded to fittings I bought from gomimigo.com for Smart car. The pipes stick out 21 in from car, but could actually be about an inch shorter for the width of the bikes I have. The wheels go behind the seats. What do you think someone would pay for a set of these pipes ready to screw in?

#3 ·
That my friend is the break through. Thank you for coming up with the idea and posting it. Yes pix would be great. :)

Black pipe (gas pipe) is quite strong when compared with water pipe as gas pipe molecules are closer together. This stuff is cheap and comes already threaded from any hardware store and it can be painted.

Good shot...A2Jack.

#4 ·
burdima - Sorry.... one more question. With the Boa, I see you must remove the front wheel. Do you just put the wheel inside.... or have you done a special mount for it?

I contacted Yakima in reference to the "High Roller" mount. Obviously, they cannot recommend a sideways install as that's not the intended design, however, they did state that if installing sideways to look at their "Sprocket Rocket" as a more secure setup.

I don't mind removing the tire etc.,.... but on vacation I have luggage etc., to consider and I'm just not sure where to put the wheel.

Thanks for the time,
Steve

#7 ·
Bike Rack That I Highly Recommend

I purchased a bike rack from Performance Bicycle and I highly recommend it (though I have not yet used it on a smart-mounted hitch though I see no reason why it would not work). This is what it looks like:

It's regularly $250 and is on sale right now for $140. It works with either a 1.25" or 2" receiver and the bikes sit upright and are easily loaded:

It holds two bikes and is adjustable for bicycle wheelbases from 17"-58". What's not shown is that the two arms that support the wheels fold (and lock) to the vertical position, making it less than a foot wide.

In order to provide stability and not wobble in the hitch mount, it uses a bolt rather than a hitch pin. That's a good thing to slow a potential thief, but makes it a bit more tedious to attach and detach from the hitch. Fair tradeoff, though.

I do not know if this has been mentioned elsewhere in the forum, but I wanted to share my experiences with it in case that would be helpful.

#13 ·
Thanks for the pictures burdima. I too purchased the kit from gominigo.com and was looking to perhaps use them as a template to take to a machine shop for some stainless extensions. I found a shop here in town, however, I didn't realize how expensive the stainless rods were going to be. (Quoted about $200.00...maybe a little more or less depending on the length.)

I then found a guy on ebay selling the pins and Yakima bike rack for $299.00. After contacting him, I purchased just the pins from him ($150.00) and will pick up my bike rack this next week. I'm still considering the Yakima High Roller, however, the guy at the bike shop suggested the Thule Side Arm which is actually a little cheaper.

Haven't made my mind up on the rack but here's a picture of the pins.

Thanks for your input.... I think this will work.

Best wishes,
Steve

#15 ·
£240 for the basic rack, another £30 for the bike specific part, and that's UK sterling! Double that to get your price in Dollars. OUCH!!
I've been searching for exactly the kind of thing you've done, Burdima.
A couple of questions though - does anyone know the weight tolerance of the tow holes? Planning on mounting two MTBs so a tad heavier than the roadies.

#16 ·
I got a bike rack from my local outdoor store for $90 and it works great for my mtb. Make sure you get the window straps for the sides to add padding.

Installation and removal is easy, but you cannot access the rear compartment while the rack is on. (Use the passanger seat)

#19 · (Edited)
Finally Got my rack installed and works like a dream. I've had it on the road around here with no problems and will be taking my bike on a trip next month out to the midwest. That should be the real test however, I don't anticipate any problems.

The threaded stainless steel rods were expensive, however, gave me a more secure feeling of safety.

#21 ·
Boa Tack

great minds drive Smarts! ther is a long and padantic discussion about the thread size of the pipes on one of these websites. Im confused as tyo houe you threaded or attahced your gas pipes to the bumper-- I was thinking of somehow welding pipes to the facorty installed eye bolts. I would pay $50 buck or more for a set of gas pipes ( the BOA is $60 and the other racks are all in teh $300 to $400 range).

thanks

#24 ·
Here is the respons efrom GoMinGo:
Thank you for contacting GOMINIGO. I am sorry for the long delay in replying to your email. This definitely sounds like something we would like to pursue, but need to further check out the feasibility of producing this kit. With the cost of stainless steel, it would probably be a pretty expensive kit. I will keep your information and let you know as soon as we have some idea of whether or not this will be something we produce. I wish I could give you a more positive answer. Thank you again.

Best Regards.
Meg Royce
GOMINIGO, LLC

#26 ·
The black pipe is 3/4 in nominal which has just over 1 in OD. It fits the Boa if you add a little inner tube shim around the pipe. The head of the gomini bolts had to be machined down a little so they just fit inside the pipe then welded around. Shop charged me $30 to machine and weld two pipes. As for the carying capacity two mt bikes should be no problem. I don't think stainless is required. If you are worried just paint them. I tighten the pipes hand tight. It you mount the Boa's right the fork weight will tend to tighten the pipe rather that loosen them. Sorry for delayed response. Good luck.

#29 ·
From experience... two bikes on those bumper bolts... not a good idea.
It's the welds in the threaded bumper inserts that will give, not the bolts.
I did something similar, but incorporated a tow hitch as a third point of support for two bikes.
Custom built, but worked a charm. I don't have my 2008 any more, but now own a 2016 passion.

Mine started with something like these:

Tool Cylinder Household hardware Font Automotive tire

Apparently still available at smartmadness

Jim

And yeah, this is a 13 year old thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.