9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi from Tackful

Hi,
Just bought a 2013 Pure, all black with 24k miles, through an online service called Carlypso. Got a good car for a good price. Everything is clean and shiny except for the engine itself, where I could use some advice on cleaning.
Currently getting the hang of the manual automatic transmission in both modes. Just need to better understand how to time the shift from 1st into 2nd. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well this little car can move, especially uphill. Very fun to drive.
Almost forgot: is Mobil 0W-40 synthetic the oil to use? It very rarely, if ever, gets down to freezing out here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Thanks.

Tackful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Welcome to SCoA from Central Valley.

Car is very capable on the hills. Only had a problem with 1 hill near Lombard street, and that was because someone just backed out without looking. Caused me to slow down just enough to loose momentum but not enough to downshift yet. It lugged but made it.

I run 5w-30 in my '13 Passion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:10 PM
Known as "Z06-LITE"
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage
Mobil 1 0W40 is the suggested oil for the smart and that is what I have used since my car was new. Some members use other brands and weights, but I have had no issues using the Mobil 1.

Good luck with your car and enjoy many miles and smiles!!
Smart Bob, TJ2251 and robjla like this.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for your replies. Now I find myself looking for and finding Smartcars everywhere. In downtown Sausalito this evening Cathy and I saw five in less than an hour.
Current project is training my 55lb dog to be comfortable in the back. Made good progress on day one.
robjla likes this.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,163 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Garage
The rear compartment floor is directly above the motor and can get a bit warm at times. You may want to put some sort of pad to insulate the heat on especially long trips.

as for the shifting, let the car handle it most of the time. the only time I go into manual mode is if I am in slow heavy traffic like construction. That will drive the shift computer crazy! unless of course I am playing around...

I am on my 3rd smart, and have used Mobil 1 in all of them. The 0W40 is what they call the European Blend and can be hard to find, but most Walmart will have it and that is about the best price, unless it is on sale.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:25 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,191 Times in 599 Posts
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
For cleaning the engine I just mist it with Simple Green and let it sit for a few minutes, then hose it off with a light spray from the garden hose. No high pressure and no spray on the alternator.

I use Mobil-1 0W-40 European specification oil which is approved by Mercedes. I also use Hengst or Mann oil filters. No point in trying to protect the most expensive part of the car with the cheapest oil filter you can find.
jsenka, Smart Bob and sokoloff like this.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,163 Posts
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Garage
If the engine is seriously dirty, you could tape off the inside of the car with plastic to keep from spraying the seats and carpets. Make sure the plastic extends into the engine compartment so it doesn't let water run down under the carpet.

Usually the simple green method will do the trick.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Might just try water first, no cleaner. Of the (5) Smarts I have owned I never used any cleaner, just water, and they came out looking nice. They were just really dusty. Of course I live in Texas so that might have something to do with it. And keeping water out of the carpeting was a wish. Never could control the hose enough to stop that. It will dry. Just don't get the electronics under the carpeting wet.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. After Day 2 of SmartCar driving, it does seem that in automatic the car shifts itself as well or better than I can most of the time. There is a steep hill in my area where I do like use manual, however, so as to not go above 2nd gear, which the car wants to do in automatic.
Concerning insulation above the engine compartment, is the idea to add more to what is already in place under the carpet?
Sounds like it's not a good idea to go crazy with a hose in the engine compartment. Shall see what I can do with just Simple Green, rags, and a spray bottle. Curious as to why I found so much dust there, yet none up front under the hood(?).
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:18 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I think you need to rinse off Simple Green. I would just use the hose, just don't miss the bay much. Make sure you start the car after rinsing, run the A/C to get the belts dry and zoom around the neighborhood to eliminate the static puddles on the engine... plus it is fun and warms the engine to dry.

BTW the front can get as dirty as the back but it is easier to get to and hose off (no worries about wet carpet either). The dealer/previous owner probably did that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode