LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
New and Abandoned in Virginia

I believe it's good form to post an introductory message when joining a new forum, so here I am.

I just acquired a 2015 smart electric drive two days ago. It's a gas! (sorry, no pun intended). Paid cash for it, drove it home (side story: I just moved into a home equipped with an EVSE, which is why I bought my smart in the first place), charged it, and now I'm learning it as best I can. Bright Yellow Flame with Black interior.

This is my secondary vehicle. My primary is a 2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 coupe with the AMG sports suspension. I'm not giving that one up!

So, why the title of this post? Yesterday I learned that the MB dealer closest to me (~15 miles) was discontinuing its smart operation. That leaves me with the only smart dealer/service center 41 miles away, through the worst traffic in the nation (Washington, D.C. suburban) on roads that ooze anger, aggressiveness and drivers who never encountered a steering wheel before they found themselves in the nation's capitol.

My used smart ED reports that service is needed in 71 days. Given the logistics, I will now need to take a day off from work, brave the horrible traffic, and wait while the car is serviced and charged up before enduring the drive home again. This does not make me a happy camper!

I am hoping to connect with smart ED owners in the NoVa or DMV area who may have some insight on how to best cope with this situation.

Also, given the mixed messages emanating from Deutschland (all smarts will be electric in 2018+, but support for them is dwindling), I'm hoping the bright yellow of my new smart doesn't turn out to be lemon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-04-12 08.00.05.jpg (356.4 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:01 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
I am assuming that you are referring to Tyson's Corner MB as the one that is discontinuing smart operations?

I got my 2014 smart ED from them and have had all the service done there.

I live in McLean, VA and drive a pink "Hello Kitty" smart ED
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miss.jpg (9.4 KB, 23 views)
Miss Mercedes likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Garage
Yes, that's the place! I've always bought my MB's from ASC, but they aren't a smart dealer. My 2015 was purchased used through an independent, but it still carries the remainder of the warranty, so I hoped I'd be able to have my service done at Tysons. Are you saying they will still service them even if they no longer carry them?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
New and Abandoned in Virginia

AAA plus level? Ask them to give you a tow to and from?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
AAA plus level? Ask them to give you a tow to and from?
Nope. Sorry. Not even AARP!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewitzt View Post
Yesterday I learned that the MB dealer closest to me (~15 miles) was discontinuing its smart operation. That leaves me with the only smart dealer/service center 41 miles away, through the worst traffic in the nation (Washington, D.C. suburban) on roads that ooze anger, aggressiveness and drivers who never encountered a steering wheel before they found themselves in the nation's capitol.
Today I learnt that my two local dealers (Clearwater and Tampa, Florida) are also stopping sales of smarts. However, they will still service them. So, check with your local dealer. They might still service them, even if they don't sell them.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewitzt View Post
My used smart ED reports that service is needed in 71 days.
If its the 1 or 3 year service do the following:
  • Check for proper operation of all the car systems (lights, brakes, AC etc). You probably already noticed anything...
  • Look at the motor compartment for leaks
  • Look at the differential for leaks
  • Oil the door hinges
  • Oil the lift gate hinges
  • Look for any other problems that might be covered by warranty (corrosion on the wipers?)
  • Spray some rust preventative stuff on the appropriate parts
  • Replace the 2016 battery in your key fobs if you figure they need it
No problems found? Reset the service indicator.

If its the 2 or 4 year service:
  • Do the stuff in the 1 year list
  • Replace the cabin air filter (in the driver footwell above the accelerator thingy)
  • Get your brake fluid flushed (DOT4) at a garage.
  • Get the HV battery desiccant cartridge and replace it. It screws in on the bottom of the battery.
  • Check the brake pad thickness. (its probably fine if you're using the regen). Ours are at about 1/2 at 25000 mi and 3 yrs.

The cartridge replacement is actually pretty easy and the item is fairly cheap ($30) but you'll have to pay for shipping. There is a howto floating around somewhere. You'll need a specific sized torx for your wrench (70mm?).

MB also does an HV battery check which has always been OK for me. If you want to do your own there's an open source tool by Odyssey that you can build.

There's really not that much to keep an eye on...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaine For This Useful Post:
gewitzt (04-19-2017), Miss Mercedes (04-25-2017)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
If its the 1 or 3 year service do the following:
  • Check for proper operation of all the car systems (lights, brakes, AC etc). You probably already noticed anything...
  • Look at the motor compartment for leaks
  • Look at the differential for leaks
  • Oil the door hinges
  • Oil the lift gate hinges
  • Look for any other problems that might be covered by warranty (corrosion on the wipers?)
  • Spray some rust preventative stuff on the appropriate parts
  • Replace the 2016 battery in your key fobs if you figure they need it

If its the 2 or 4 year service:
  • Do the stuff in the 1 year list
  • Replace the cabin air filter (in the driver footwell above the accelerator thingy)
  • Get your brake fluid flushed (DOT4) at a garage.
  • Get the HV battery desiccant cartridge and replace it. It screws in on the bottom of the battery.
  • Check the brake pad thickness. (its probably fine if you're using the regen). Ours are at about 1/2 at 25000 mi and 3 yrs.

The cartridge replacement is actually pretty easy and the item is fairly cheap ($30) but you'll have to pay for shipping. There is a howto floating around somewhere. You'll need a specific sized torx for your wrench (70mm?).

MB also does an HV battery check which has always been OK for me. If you want to do your own there's an open source tool by Odyssey that you can build.

There's really not that much to keep an eye on...
I'm not sure what happened to my reply to this post yesterday, so I'll respond with great thanks. And an update.

At this moment, I'm sitting in the customer lounge at MB of Tysons Corner while my ED goes in for service. According to their records, the previous owner/lessee never had it serviced at a dealer, so they have no history on which to go. I'm probably looking at a $300-$400 bill as a result. That doesn't really bother me if it gets the vehicle up to spec and on record insofar as the warranty is concerned.

Blaine, your check list is very helpful, and moving forward, I may just do these things as a matter of routine (getting to the dealer in the kind of traffic we have around here is not the best way to start one's day!). At the end, you say, "reset the service indicator." Exactly how does one do that? I don't recall that being mentioned in the owner's manual.

The good news is that I don't have to drive to Germantown, MD. for service. At least not at this point. I can make this trip (despite the hassle of traffic) and back all on a single charge!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Resetting the service indicator

If you end up doing your own service work you should consider getting access to Evilution. There is quite a lot of stuff that wouldn't apply to your car, but much that is invaluable.

How to reset:
Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

I've been building up my own more comprehensive ED service checklist but its not quite in a shareable format. Ping me next year when you're thinking about doing another service.

Also, if you are still in the MB lounge, do make sure they check for leaks on the differential and also the coolant pump. They probably don't check these as a matter of course.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Garage
If you got a complete owners manual packet, both the service items to be done as well as the reset procedure are covered. If not, they are available online to download here:

https://www.smartusa.com/vehicle-manuals

Len
2014 EV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode