Smart or Dumb Question re checking oil - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smart or Dumb Question re checking oil

We've had our Smart since February and love it. Glad to join the club. Uh, has anyone checked their oil? The dip stick has hash marks on the tip and an"F" which on a regular car would mean Full. The booklet says the oil should be midway between the two "bumps" on the stick which is about a foot or so past the "F". This would seem to be a typo. If not then perhaps we have just ruined our engine.

Also, I hear synthetic oil is better. Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 4,744 Times in 2,759 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Mobil 1 is the "official" smart oil, so synthetic is the way to go.

Check Any early oil changers out there? for more discussion.

When I had the oil changed, we went by capacity - put in 3.5 quarts and called it good. Haven't looked since.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Admin/mod.
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,308 Times in 832 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRanger View Post
[...] The dip stick has hash marks on the tip and an"F" which on a regular car would mean Full. The booklet says the oil should be midway between the two "bumps" on the stick which is about a foot or so past the "F". This would seem to be a typo. If not then perhaps we have just ruined our engine. [...] Any comments?
Had the same issue, an apparent discrepancy between the actual dipstick and the picture in the manual. The "F" at the top of the etched tip of the dipstick is indeed the mark for "full". Had it checked out with scAlexandria two weeks ago because I had the same question...
#4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there is no smart dealership where i'm from can i take it anywhere to get the oil changed???
#5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 4,744 Times in 2,759 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
You can, but you'll be the most knowledgeable guy there at the start. I took my own oil and filter, plus the info from the forum on oil changes (not too much to it, really.)

They'll need to be careful not to mess up the screen filter attached to the drain plug as well as not screw up the copper crush washer, which you'll need to re use unless you get a new one.

Tags
dipstick , oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode