Towing Eye hooks -1 hook 3 holes?? - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Towing Eye hooks -1 hook 3 holes??

I was ecstatic to pick up my new Smart fortwo Passion this past Thursday in Minneapolis, Mn. I drove it back to Michigan to visit relatives. It was great. People smiling, waving and taking photos. Once I got it to Michigan, I planned to tow it back to my hometown in Augusta Georgia. I was unpleasantly surprised to find according to the owners manual that you cannot tow any faster than 30 mph for more than 30 miles. Well I had a 900 mile trip in front of me! I re-organized and purchased a car hauler to transport it. Then came the next issue! There are three tie down areas in the bumper. The car only comes with one eye bolt. Furthermore there is no cross referencing the threads on the eyebolt. The local nuts and bolt house told me it was neither metric or standard. So my dilema was tying it down. I finally found some locations on the frame and secured it. I leave in the morning for Georgia. I will let you know how it went! I am still looking forward to all of the fun exciting times in my new car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Closed

Either order an additional OEM towing eye from the dealer, or get one or more from Breathless Performance: Our Products at Breathless Performance
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 06:49 PM

And, IIRC, the towing info in the manual is incorrect, according to smart, and you can flat tow. Use the Search function above to find discussions on flat towing.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old smart View Post
Either order an additional OEM towing eye from the dealer, or get one or more from Breathless Performance: Our Products at Breathless Performance
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately timing is the restiction on ordering one. I leave in the morning. I will have 2 more for the future though!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave777 View Post
And, IIRC, the towing info in the manual is incorrect, according to smart, and you can flat tow. Use the Search function above to find discussions on flat towing.
I have read that you can tow it that is why I planned to tow it. However upon reading the manual, I am not comfortable in risking it......
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 PM

I've had my Cabrio tow twice now once in the front and once in the back. It only took one hook to load it up on the flatbed truck and haul it back to the dealer for repair.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 08:18 PM
SCOA Club

Find a buddy with a MB or BMW theses cars have the hooks. Borrow them for your trip.Not sure if thread size is the same. And my smart is at the dealer so I can't check for you.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Smart View Post
There are three tie down areas in the bumper. The car only comes with one eye bolt.
actually, there are NO tie-down areas on the bumper. the tow eye bolts are for towing, not lashing. it is not recommended to use those eye bolts for lashing the vehicle to a dolly or flatbed or whatever. the eye bolt is not designed for the shear forces that come into play. my recommendation would be to use another method.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Smart View Post
I have read that you can tow it that is why I planned to tow it. However upon reading the manual, I am not comfortable in risking it......
We've been towing ours behind our motorhome for a couple of months now - absolutely no issues other than spending the bucks to have the Blue Ox baseplate installed...

smartUSA says it'll tow four down with no problems...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:37 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a different kind of tow bolt. One without an eye on it. I saw one online somewhere but can't find it now. I was custom machined and useful for other projects like a rack or something.

Thanks,
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
eye bolt , tie down , tow hook , towing , transport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode