453 first oil change at 2000 miles - Page 9 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Ok... I've got my 8mm square bit and 27mm socket coming tomorrow... and hopefully the filters and drain plug washers coming tomorrow as well. Not only will this end up possibly being my first time changing my oil myself (unless the weather sucks and the driveway is wet), but I've never even SEEN a car get an oil change with a cartridge filter like the ForTwo. Only ones i'm familiar with are the screw-on filters where you have to add some oil to the filter, and rub a bit around the seal to moisten it a bit.

I've been trying to find some pictures of the engine so that I'd have a better idea and might not have to ask at least one of these questions... but apparently they are all avoiding my Google searches... so I guess i'll ask away.

1) I know on the 451 the oil drain plug and i believe the oil filter were both facing the rear of the car. I believe i've already read that the filter on the 453 is on the front side of the engine. Is the drain plug also towards the front or is it at the rear easily visible from the back of the car?

2) After draining the oil, i'm assuming there will still be a fair bit of oil inside where the filter resides? Enough that i'd have to potentially worry about it running out, or no?

3) After changing the filter, do i have to still add some oil to where the filter is, or does that area get filled up when the oil is added to the engine?

Again... sorry for what seems like some pretty stupid questions... but like i said, never changed the oil myself, and have never seen the oil changed in this type of setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Not sure about #1 . #2 and 3: filter case is upside down at approx 45 degree angle White Lightning confirmed for me because that is how it looks positioned on EPC. Not much oil will be left at all, and I don't think you could add oil easily. It will come with a gasket for the canister. Lube it with a little fresh oil with your finger just like the screw on gaskets. Good luck. Taking time to look under an engine I usually figure out where they are. Not to worry, except if you rush because of impending bad weather.

Some people will make a mark on the housing and the oil filter cap, so when they tighten again they get the torque just right. If I had a smarttekinfo subscription one can also get the actual torque specs for both the bolt and the filter. (I guess one could mark the drain plug in the same manner, but I'be never heard/read of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jzchen; 01-11-2017 at 04:13 AM. Reason: added White Lightning- the "someone"
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
A few months have passed since I changed my 453 oil and filter. I reviewed some notes I had written down right around that time.

Yes, the oil filter housing is in the rear and comes out at about a 45 degree angle toward the front of the car. The drain plug is located toward the rear center of the 453 car. I attached a pic of the drain plug that I had taken prior to unscrewing it.

Didn't take much as much force to unscrew the drain plug as I thought it might. Hot oil will gush until it slows to a trickle within 5 minutes. (I changed the oil when it was hot; cooler oil will probably take longer to drain).

Next, position your oil large collection pan so that is under both openings for the oil filter housing and the drain plug. Hot oil will begin leaking out from the filter housing as soon as you start twisting it off (not much force was needed). Removing the used filter will then cause more oil to flow out of the drain plug for a few seconds. Have a second oil drip pan in place if the one being used isn't large enough to catch oil from both openings.

After removing the filter housing (second attached pic), note the exact location of the O-ring on the threads. Ply off the O-ring with a screw driver. Then immediately replace it with a new O-ring while you remember the particular spot where it goes. The new one fits on easily.

As for Number 3, there are a lot of pro/con discussions about this on the web. Google: "prefill oil filter?"

Have a great time working on your 453!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	453 drain plug.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	24969   Click image for larger version

Name:	453 filter housing.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	25001  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Lightning For This Useful Post:
Rich M (01-12-2017), Smart Bob (01-11-2017)

post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:53 AM

Strangely, I have been finding A 200 180 00 09 has been "Discontinued" on a lot of online smart parts websites that seem to be popping up for other part numbers I have been searching for, so I decided to try "searching" on EPC for the part number. (Something I'm not used to. I usually enter an appropriate VIN and then search that way.)

Low and behold another part number for the 453 is listed as well as the A 200 part: A 281 180 02 10.

This is in line with Mercedes attaching engine number or chassis number to the beginning of part numbers, in this case for the 281 engine. Can't find this anywhere except out of the country so far. (Possibly the online stores need to update their databases....)
post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
A few months have passed since I changed my 453 oil and filter. I reviewed some notes I had written down right around that time.

Yes, the oil filter housing is in the rear and comes out at about a 45 degree angle toward the front of the car. The drain plug is located toward the rear center of the 453 car. I attached a pic of the drain plug that I had taken prior to unscrewing it.

Didn't take much as much force to unscrew the drain plug as I thought it might. Hot oil will gush until it slows to a trickle within 5 minutes. (I changed the oil when it was hot; cooler oil will probably take longer to drain).

Next, position your oil large collection pan so that is under both openings for the oil filter housing and the drain plug. Hot oil will begin leaking out from the filter housing as soon as you start twisting it off (not much force was needed). Removing the used filter will then cause more oil to flow out of the drain plug for a few seconds. Have a second oil drip pan in place if the one being used isn't large enough to catch oil from both openings.

After removing the filter housing (second attached pic), note the exact location of the O-ring on the threads. Ply off the O-ring with a screw driver. Then immediately replace it with a new O-ring while you remember the particular spot where it goes. The new one fits on easily.

As for Number 3, there are a lot of pro/con discussions about this on the web. Google: "prefill oil filter?"

Have a great time working on your 453!
Thanks for the info. Might attempt it tomorrow if the weather holds out and the driveway dries off. And if i'm feeling up to it... feel like i've caught a cold or something. Ugh...

Oh, and i called and talked to the parts department at my dealership, which is what the salesman who sold me my 453 told me to do, about recommended oil. Obviously he told me that the only oil he can recommend is the oil they use. He then put me on hold, and told me that the oil they use is a "229.5 blend". I told him that i had already found Mobil 1 European Car Formula, and he said that would work.
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:58 AM

Bingo, and easy to remember. Filter 25Nm, drain plug 50Nm. Gotta go back now....

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jzchen For This Useful Post:
Rich M (01-18-2017)
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:15 PM

... assuming that's the recommended torque for the filter cap and drain plug?

On another note... if anyone here plans on changing the oil in their 453.... some sound advice for you. Either i hope you have a lift to use, or buy some ramps to back the car onto in order to change the oil. Doing so with nothing but a drain pan and a floor jack is a B*TCH!
The Following User Says Thank You to ElementalDragon For This Useful Post:
Smart Bob (01-17-2017)
post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 07:54 PM

Yes. Adjusting the rear doors I went to get the bolt tightening specs for the latches. As I was looking through I found them for you guys. I hope you had a jack stand. They are relatively cheap at Harbor Freight, and could potentially save your life or limb...

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 08:13 PM

Have them around.... somewhere. couldn't find them. Wasn't worried, though. That floor jack has lifted MUCH more than a Smart and has never budged. made sure to chock both front wheels so rocking wasn't a concern. Wasn't worried about the jack itself moving either cause... well... it's a royal pain to move around when it DOESN'T have the rear end of a 1-ton car on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode