User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
High beams turn off with right turn signal

Hi all, newbie owner here. Love the car. A few weird niggles, like the Bluetooth pairing drops every other time, but not a huge deal.

Figured this might be a chuckle and some of you might try... In my car it reproduces 100% of time (finally, not an intermittent problem)

While my highbeams are on, i put on my right turn signal, and the high beams drop back to low beams and are no longer operable until i turn the car off and on. In fact, i cannot even turn off the headlights until i turn off the car. It's like it dropped into "safe mode"

Taking into dealer Friday for a couple things. Will update results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,488 Times in 3,276 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to SCoA!
The Following User Says Thank You to jwight For This Useful Post:
flipfan (10-12-2016)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Welcome.

Do you have automatic headlights set on or have them in your trim level and was it at night time to see it? To me that normal for the auto headlights to shut off when the engine is off after the engine is on. For the high beams let me get back to you has it's a sunny day in my area right now.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Hi!

No, my trim level does not have auto headlights. Everything is manual. When I manually turn on my lights into low beam mode, my turn signals don't affect any behavior. I can turn on and off my headlights ad nauseum, day or night. When I put the high beams on, the right signal will trip the "safe mode" within 2 seconds. I assume there is a power draw issue of sorts. The "safe mode" (I am making up that name) is interesting - the headlights stay on, no going back to daytime running lights, and the turn signals work. I found it interesting i could not turn OFF the headlights until i turn off the car, thus resetting everything. So its not a fuse, anyway. At first I was annoyed, but then i realized it was a safe backoff point. It's quite "smart" actually. If the headlights blinked off, or stayed in high beam mode, the car would be unsafe to drive. By forcing it into low-beam=ON mode, I can get home safely. Pretty well thought out, in the case of a failure...

Stephen
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Seems like an interesting software bug.

Do your rear fog lamps still turn off and on in 'safe mode', does 'flash to pass' work?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

great question! the rear fogs will not turn on once in "safe mode" and flash-to-pass doesn't either. It really behaves like a minimum safety mode. Keep your lights on, allow blinkers, but other non-essential-but-useful light features are off until the car is restarted.

one thing i will try tonight is putting the rear fogs with the high beams and then fire off the blinker, to see if they both go off together.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

One funny aside, for those who like pattern matching...the first time i noticed the weird light behavior was the first cold night i was driving. So I thought it was heater related. My poor son rode with me a few days later for 30 minutes with the heat blasting away, trying to reproduce. It just turns out that it was also the first night where it was so late that the cars were few and i used my high beam, and the right turn blinker was near the end of my trip. Not temperature related whatsoever.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think according to fmvss and ECE regs front fog lamps must turn off with high beam headlamps, i don't believe that is the case with the rear fog lamp(s). Can anyone else replicate this? It may be as simple as having the dealer re-load the firmware for your cars ECU
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevster03 View Post
I think according to fmvss and ECE regs front fog lamps must turn off with high beam headlamps, i don't believe that is the case with the rear fog lamp(s). Can anyone else replicate this? It may be as simple as having the dealer re-load the firmware for your cars ECU
Perhaps i didn't explain it right. I can drive around all day with my high beams on, my rear fog light on, or both. No problems. I don't have front fog lights. If my high beams are on AND i turn my right blinker on for at least two seconds, the high beams will turn off and stay off. The rear fog will also turn off, if it happened to be on, but it didn't need to be involved at all for this condition to occur. It is a relationship between the high beams and the right blinker.

And from that point on, i cannot turn the high beams back on, the rear fog cannot be turned on, and i cannot turn *off* the headlights and go back to daytime lights.... Until i turn off the car.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I would look at the wiring going up the stalk...might be a bare or breaking wire near the end. See if you can move some the wires going up it from behind..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode