86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Keith's official 453 Q & A thread ;)

OK, I'll start…

1. What specific issues were addressed by the new software update campaign?

2. The debate still hasn't ended on whether the Prime seats are leather, pleather, MB-Tex, a combination of the above, or none of the above.

3. Where is the US-market 453 engine made, and by home? The Monroney sticker indicates Japan, but that is inconsistent with claims from Europe.

4. Any update on the paired phone/mic voice quality issue?

5. Any updates on BRABUS, Tailor Made, or ED features or sales launch timetables?

Thanks!
Ray L likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevenvillatoro For This Useful Post:
Ray L (10-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
OK, I'll start…

1. What specific issues were addressed by the new software update campaign?

2. The debate still hasn't ended on whether the Prime seats are leather, pleather, MB-Tex, a combination of the above, or none of the above.

3. Where is the US-market 453 engine made, and by home? The Monroney sticker indicates Japan, but that is inconsistent with claims from Europe.

4. Any update on the paired phone/mic voice quality issue?

5. Any updates on BRABUS, Tailor Made, or ED features or sales launch timetables?

Thanks!
Great questions!

1. The newest software flash is designed to fix the issue where the fuel gauge was displaying the incorrect amount of fuel in the tank. Essentially the cars have an 8.7 gallon tank, but the onboard computer thought they were equipped with the European standard 7.4 gallon tank. This caused the fuel light to trigger early and show poor MPG readings because 1.3 gallons or so of gasoline were hidden from the computer.

2. They may not be designo Nappa Leather, but the prime seats are leather!

3. I want to say France as it was developed for this platform with Renault, but I will confirm and look into this.

4. We will have an update in the future. A fix is in the works, but until we're 100% happy with itwe're not releasing them. No timeline, but this is a top priority for Dr. Winkler, so it will be addressed swiftly.

5. We won't see a BRABUS performance model right now, but the appearance package and style accessories are on the way. In fact, the BRABUS accessories brochure is almost ready... No timetable on Tailor Made, but it's my next job after the cabrio is in stores . ED is still on for end of year as Dr. Winkler hinted, but things can always change!

Hope that helps, keep 'em coming!
Mike T and Ray L like this.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to smartAPM For This Useful Post:
dlomshek (06-24-2016), jwight (05-17-2016), MB DNA (05-16-2016), Mister_smart_LA (05-16-2016), Ray L (10-25-2016), robjla (04-07-2017), Smart Bob (05-16-2016), whoadale (05-20-2016)
post #3 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Keith, we may need to suggest that the good Dr. Winkler give you a nice raise.

Edit: Although the BRABUS-in-name-only rationale is very disappointing, we can't hold that against you. (Or, can we?)
smartAPM likes this.

post #4 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:54 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Keith, we may need to suggest that the good Dr. Winkler give you a nice raise.

Edit: Although the BRABUS-in-name-only rationale is very disappointing, we can't hold that against you. (Or, can we?)
Whoa whoa, the 451 BRABUS suspension and wheel package makes a difference over the stock models. I have a repeat client who owns multiple AMG Mercedes-Benz models, as well as multiple Porsche models who believes his smart BRABUS suspension is stiffer than his Porsche 911 Carrera's. He loves it. So do I. While I would love a BRABUS performance engine, I'm not in agreement that the U.S. BRABUS smarts are in name only...

Edit: I also own multiple smarts, including an '09 BRABUS cabriolet.
Smart Bob and 1983JZR3W like this.
post #5 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_smart_LA View Post
Whoa whoa... While I would love a BRABUS performance engine, I'm not in agreement that the U.S. BRABUS smarts are in name only.

I'd like the tighter BRABUS steering and some of the suspension goodies on a 453 ED BRABUS.
post #6 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Keith!

I was wondering if the smart media console (touch screen) is going to be available to be installed in my current 2016 model once the 17 arrives.
ShoshTrvls likes this.
post #7 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Question: I've been told that you cannot order painted replacement body panels for the 453 as you could for the 451, but instead can only get panels which are primed and ready to be painted by a body shop. Is this true?
post #8 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 03:18 AM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,507 Times in 3,291 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_smart_LA View Post
Whoa whoa, the 451 BRABUS suspension and wheel package makes a difference over the stock models. I have a repeat client who owns multiple AMG Mercedes-Benz models, as well as multiple Porsche models who believes his smart BRABUS suspension is stiffer than his Porsche 911 Carrera's. He loves it. So do I. While I would love a BRABUS performance engine, I'm not in agreement that the U.S. BRABUS smarts are in name only...

Edit: I also own multiple smarts, including an '09 BRABUS cabriolet.
That is/was the BRABUS Sport Package - not the same as the EU BRABUS with the uprated engine, just as the 453 with the Sport Package is not the same as the new 453 109 hp BRABUS the EU folks are getting. Horsepower counts with these small engines.
post #9 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLuthor07 View Post
Hi Keith!

I was wondering if the smart media console (touch screen) is going to be available to be installed in my current 2016 model once the 17 arrives.
Hello LexLuthor07! Unfortunately it will not be available as a retrofit. The smart Media-System gets a whole host of new wiring harnesses and even a new center console with an SD-card slot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smartAPM For This Useful Post:
jwight (05-17-2016), LexLuthor07 (05-17-2016)
post #10 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoshTrvls View Post
Question: I've been told that you cannot order painted replacement body panels for the 453 as you could for the 451, but instead can only get panels which are primed and ready to be painted by a body shop. Is this true?
Interesting subject... At the moment there are only primed body panels in stock. The 451 actually started this way, and as we get more data on the most popular colors painted panels for those specific colors will get added to stock. So yes, but most likely not forever.
ShoshTrvls likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode