Smart Car of America Forum banner

Only use your cup holder when stationary!

5K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  valvestem 
#1 ·
The cup holders are tapered... Starbucks, Red Bull, and Perrier and San Pellegrino bottles fit fine but soda cans don't.

I was reading the owner's manual (page 146) and check out the last paragraph:

See less See more
#15 ·
I try not to drink while I'm driving. It's not that I'm concerned with being distracted while driving, it just for me drinking = peeing. And having to pee is much more distracting than being thirsty. ( I know, too much information LOL). But with my wife it's a habit. She would simply dry up and wither away if she didn't bring along a cup of coffee or a bottle of water. She leaves them in the car and I always get stuck cleaning out the empties and the half full ones.

#18 ·
Initially, you are right. Mercedes was very stubborn about putting these in their cars - and BMW still is. However the American way has forced them in pretty much every car made. As more and more people spend more time in their cars it makes sense.

I had a soda can tip out of my cup holder as I tried to contort my hand behind the shift shift to grasp its slippery skin however the all season mats caught the spill.

#19 ·
It took YEARS of US customers complaining to Porsche to add cup holders to their vehicles.

Think about any high speed car on the Autobahn? Do you really want the driver to take their eyes off the road for even a second to take a drink?

The classic German driving philosphy: "If you are driving, then DRIVE!!! If you want to get a drink, STOP and get a drink?"

#20 ·
You'd be surprised how slowly traffic on the autobahn is nowadays, particularly around the cities. Tons of Eastern European trucks as well.

I think it's nice to have the option and a cupholder can nicely double as a place to stash your cell phone. I do like how Porsche has tried to stay somewhat pure, however.

#21 ·
Yeah I got the cup holder problem as well. For me I don't bring or buy drinks in the Smart unless I take a drink before work and that glass drink doesn't fit in the front cup holders... The rear cup holder (where the armrest should be) fits. I'm picky in terms of drinks and coffee since I love my coffee made at home and my water is better than other from the filter system.

#30 ·
I spent weeks trying to "cure" this issue, with all kinds of options, the Cheapest one was I found one at Target, for about $3, and took a Carpet knife, and cut off all but the cup holder, it added about 4 inches up, and made it about 1/2 wider with a bigger mouth. My issue was I use a Tervis Tumbler 24oz mug for coffee each day, and it just barely fit, and a one good corner, and it was on the floor. I'll post some pics of later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.