User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
smart Media Center part

I'm looking to buy a media center head unit so I can retrofit it to my US smart since it's not an option on North American 453s.

Does anyone know where I could purchase the entire unit as a part(s)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Wow. Another vegan. ;)
borcean likes this.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Wow. Another vegan. ;)
Hey there fellow vegan!
borcean likes this.

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Not sure why you think it is not an option.
My Florida purchased 2016 has it.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
It wasn't an option when I ordered my 2017.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtretick View Post
Not sure why you think it is not an option.
My Florida purchased 2016 has it.
Probably because it never really was an option. When the 453 first came over here for 2016, I think for a short time people COULD order one with the smart media center, but very quickly they were removed from the options list, and haven't returned since. There were a couple that still squeaked through and made their way over here... but as far as i'm aware, VERY few Smart Media Center equipped Smart's are in the US.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Don't bother with the Smart Media Nav head unit. Get the after market Android head unit which gives you so much more and is so much less expensive (about $360 ). Yes, it's made in China but like evereything else. It sounds much better than stock and has a very nice fit that looks as if it was original equipment. Also, easy to install and shows things like door ajar, heating/cooling setting, and dynamic guidelines that bend as you turn the steering wheel. All plug and play!
The Following User Says Thank You to mxa77 For This Useful Post:
Smart Bob (12-30-2016)
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxa77 View Post
Don't bother with the Smart Media Nav head unit. Get the after market Android head unit which gives you so much more and is so much less expensive (about $360 ). Yes, it's made in China but like evereything else. It sounds much better than stock and has a very nice fit that looks as if it was original equipment. Also, easy to install and shows things like door ajar, heating/cooling setting, and dynamic guidelines that bend as you turn the steering wheel. All plug and play!
are you by chance referring to this one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Quad...08.0.55.2nBURh

If so.... i'm really considering buying one right now... and have a question or a few for you.

1) and probably the most pressing question.... Since this is an Android-powered head unit... do you have to wait a fairly long time for it to boot up and be usable, as if you were turning on a tablet or your phone?

2) I'm assuming any sort of USB media playback or phone connection is handled by either wires from the back or bluetooth? There's nowhere to plug anything in on the visible side?

3) Not sure if you have them or not, but any idea if the provided hardware allows it to work if you have the 8-speaker system?

4) it says the screen is capacitive (which is awesome).... I'm assuming that it'd also be a glass screen, or no?
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:13 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
What is so special about using an Android head unit when you can just use an Android phone in the phone cradle? Is a CD or DVD player that necessary these days?
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_smart_LA View Post
What is so special about using an Android head unit when you can just use an Android phone in the phone cradle? Is a CD or DVD player that necessary these days?
Well... for one, customization. Would be nice to have something DEDICATED for my car. Not have to worry about whether or not i have a certain app installed, and have auto-rotation enabled (which is annoying as hell any other time), basically having to set up my phone so it also works in my car. Adding to that.... features. setting up a backup camera on your phone would be a little annoying. Audio settings also improve, giving you access to more than just bass, treble, balance, and "bass boost". Also the possibility of not having to deal with needing to re-pair your phone on a weekly-at-best basis.... or deal with the annoying as HELL incredibly loud alerts the factory head unit blares out of the speakers as if the volume was cranked up to 9,000 that are basically pointless. "Battery low".... 33% phone battery is not "low". "Invalid file" ... yes... i understood that the first 5 times you instantly gave me a headache.

It's not just about what you can do to get by with what the car has. I don't think there's often a situation where a factory head unit wouldn't be a reasonable upgrade for a car, especially if it's the standard, baseline radio. They did it with the 451, too. standard sound system used two speakers, one in each door... upgraded had the door speakers, plus two tweeters in the dash, and the under-seat subwoofer. Only differences with the radios were if you wanted a single CD or 6-disc changer... everything else was the same. Only in the later model year 451's did they offer nicer options for head units with in-dash nav and probably much better quality audio output. And once you upgraded the head unit... and if you got better tweeters and put them where the factory ones were.... you realized that all the way up on the dash is the WORST place for tweeters.

And.... the Android head units don't offer a CD/DVD player, either (contrary to what the sale page says... from what i could find).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode