SCOA causes Internet to Crash - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thumbs down SCOA causes Internet to Crash

Every time I visit this website (which is at least once a day), it causes my browser to become unresponsive, crash, and requires closing all tabs before I can access it again. Fustrating how I have to close out of everything else I'm doing online anytime I wish to respond to a post or look something up on this site. This is the only site I've visited that causes this issue for me.

Anybody else have these issues or is my work computer just THAT bad?

Using Google Chrome on Windows 7 with Java 7 on work computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 01:05 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,261 Times in 1,302 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Have you tried Tapatalk?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 01:05 PM
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,602 Times in 979 Posts
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Garage
Try Firefox, the best browser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB DNA View Post
Have you tried Tapatalk?
But, defeat the Tapatalk default advertising if you do, LOL. It's irritating to see their Ad on every post made via Tapatalk.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:42 PM

Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,433 Posts
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Garage
Time to put my 5 years of Tech Support experience to use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCarDan View Post
Every time I visit this website (which is at least once a day), it causes my browser to become unresponsive, crash, and requires closing all tabs before I can access it again. Fustrating how I have to close out of everything else I'm doing online anytime I wish to respond to a post or look something up on this site. This is the only site I've visited that causes this issue for me.

Anybody else have these issues or is my work computer just THAT bad?

Using Google Chrome on Windows 7 with Java 7 on work computer.
Chrome on 7 with Java 7 should be just fine, my work machine uses that combo and it works beautifully.

Well, a number of things can cause that crashing and slowness:

1. Ads - Ads can cause a plethora of speed issues. Before I installed uBlock Origin, SCoA was often working at a crawl's pace...and it didn't matter if I used Chrome, Edge, Opera, Firefox...slow all around. SCoA is a gooood site to use an AdBlocker on.

2. Background Processes - Windows Update on Windows 7 machines is often a huuuuuuge drag on performance. Microsoft has released a few updates to correct a broken Windows Update.

Here's one of them.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

Here are the others.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...-exe-high-cpu/

3. Java applets - It goes without saying that Java can be a drag, especially older, more vulnerable versions. Check CPU and Disk usage to see if whatever Java app you're using isn't stealing all of your power.

4. Browser extensions - Some extensions can bring your browser to the brink of collapse, disable any ones you don't use or know why they exist.

5. Cache - Browsers collect data as you use them, a good ol' spring cleaning is often enough to bring them back to life.

6. And worse case - It could just be SCoA being silly!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
I have windows 7 PRO and use Chrome, never have a problem, running a 4 year old i5-3450S processor with 8GB of RAM, I currently have 21 tabs open on Chrome now, I run Fair Adblocker, it blocks most ads, especially those annoying ones on YouTube that somehow get 5-10 ads during some videos. I have never experienced a "crash" with Chrome on any of my computers (i have a lot of them!).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:23 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Garage
Using 10, chrome, Java 8 ....no problems what-so-ever
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:16 AM

Thanked 1,157 Times in 807 Posts
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
IPhone, iPad, and my iMac work prefect.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Neonspinnazz pretty much hit the money on good starting advice. Try some of those (especially clearing cookies and disabling any ad-ons) and let us know if things improve.

Are you finding it crashed when you are on a certain part of the site or doing a specific action?

Kevin
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Garage
You are most certainly running out of system resources and then comes the crash. I would press the windows logo key with the "x" key and that brings up a menu. Click on task manager. Click on the performance tab and you will be able to see exactly what program is using all your resources. Chime back to us and we can advise you further as to a more exact remedy to your problem as we narrow it down. I for one don't like Firefox. It is a memory hog. I have it loaded on an older XP laptop that I could no longer get on the net with internet explorer. I just use it for emergencies, but an older slower machine will die on the vine with Firefox because it runs add ons in a separate process box if you will, and once it uses memory for a particular purpose it rarely free's that memory back up to re-use again until you close out the browser or it crashes on it's own. Chrome is a very good browser that doesn't waste memory. The choices are many and so are the fixes, so don't let it frusterate you. We certainly don't want to see ANYONE deprived of getting on our SCOA site. DCO
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCarOwner View Post
You are most certainly running out of system resources and then comes the crash. I would press the windows logo key with the "x" key and that brings up a menu. Click on task manager. Click on the performance tab and you will be able to see exactly what program is using all your resources. Chime back to us and we can advise you further as to a more exact remedy to your problem as we narrow it down. I for one don't like Firefox. It is a memory hog. I have it loaded on an older XP laptop that I could no longer get on the net with internet explorer. I just use it for emergencies, but an older slower machine will die on the vine with Firefox because it runs add ons in a separate process box if you will, and once it uses memory for a particular purpose it rarely free's that memory back up to re-use again until you close out the browser or it crashes on it's own. Chrome is a very good browser that doesn't waste memory. The choices are many and so are the fixes, so don't let it frusterate you. We certainly don't want to see ANYONE deprived of getting on our SCOA site. DCO
On XP Chrome and Internet Explorer cry out that they are no longer supported. One can not get the latest IE for XP, and Chrome pops the message as soon as you open it, (it notes Vista as well.) On Vista computers, I purchased Windows 7, and took advantage of free Windows 10 upgrade. So for XP computers I've switched to Firefox, which doesn't give the same warning.

To the OP:

See if you can verify you have the latest Chrome update. I do not believe Chrome uses java, at least not the way IE or Firefox does.....

Also, the ads tend to get bad if you aren't automatically logged in. (This is tricky as you noted this is a work computer.) If you can somehow use the "Remember me" feature so that you are automatically logged in when you go to the site, I have a feeling things may be better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode