Originally Posted by SmartCarDan
Every time I visit this website (which is at least once a day), it causes my browser to become unresponsive, crash, and requires closing all tabs before I can access it again. Fustrating how I have to close out of everything else I'm doing online anytime I wish to respond to a post or look something up on this site. This is the only site I've visited that causes this issue for me.
Anybody else have these issues or is my work computer just THAT bad?
Using Google Chrome on Windows 7 with Java 7 on work computer.
Chrome on 7 with Java 7 should be just fine, my work machine uses that combo and it works beautifully.
Well, a number of things can cause that crashing and slowness:
1. Ads - Ads can cause a plethora of speed issues. Before I installed uBlock Origin, SCoA was often working at a crawl's pace...and it didn't matter if I used Chrome, Edge, Opera, Firefox...slow all around. SCoA is a gooood site to use an AdBlocker on.
2. Background Processes - Windows Update on Windows 7 machines is often a huuuuuuge drag on performance. Microsoft has released a few updates to correct a broken Windows Update.
Here's one of them.
Here are the others.
3. Java applets - It goes without saying that Java can be a drag, especially older, more vulnerable versions. Check CPU and Disk usage to see if whatever Java app you're using isn't stealing all of your power.
4. Browser extensions - Some extensions can bring your browser to the brink of collapse, disable any ones you don't use or know why they exist.
5. Cache - Browsers collect data as you use them, a good ol' spring cleaning is often enough to bring them back to life.
6. And worse case - It could just be SCoA being silly!!