LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanked 1,157 Times in 807 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
No.... they're not really missing a market. They just don't seem to have much interest in trying to fill an already over-saturated market. Between Fiat 500's (and all their outcroppings), Nissan Versa Note's, Chevy Sparks, Honda CR-Z/Fit, Toyota Prius C/Yaris, Ford Fiesta/C-Max.... there's already plenty of options that people are well aware of, and almost certainly with a dealership MUCH closer to them. Smart's are unique. Why would someone who hardly knows the brand look into getting a 4-seater Smart and potentially have to drive for an hour or more to the dealership when they could probably go just down the street and get a Spark or something similar?
The cars you mention, are a lot larger then the forfour. I own 2 of the ones you suggested. I'm 10 minutes from our smart dealership. The smart you own. Your driving a hour for service. The brand been here for over 8 years now. The consumer is pretty aware of the vehicle. The forfour, would really help smarts, sales numbers grow. The practical smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post
smart really needs to offer this here.
No they do not.

Quote:
Their missing the market.
No they are not.

Quote:
This little car would sell like hot cakes.
No it wouldn't.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_453 View Post
No they do not.

No they are not.

No it wouldn't.
Sadly all of the above are true.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Known as "Z06-LITE"
SCOA Club

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage
You can't even sell hot cakes without advertising......
smark likes this.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
At least hot cakes have their own day once a year. That would be Shrove Tuesday I think.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:13 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,302 Posts
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
In April, supplies of small cars on dealer lots grew to the highest level in seven years. Automakers are resorting to discounts and sweetened lease deals to move the metal especially with models that haven't been updated in a few years.

In the 12 months ended April 30, small-car sales fell more than 6 percent, according to Ward's Automotive. At the same time, truck and SUV sales combined grew more than 10 percent.

So far this year, about 54 percent of U.S. vehicle sales have been trucks and SUVs. Just two years ago, cars ruled the market at 51 percent. While trucks and SUVs are expected to help the industry set a new annual sales record above 17.5 million vehicles this year, some experts are predicting a continued slowdown in sales of cars.

Gas prices are low. SUVs generally are smaller, lighter and more efficient than in the past. Older people like the higher seating position an SUV offers because it's easier to get in and out, and people of all ages use the hatchback and ample storage space.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/small-...143506104.html

Dr. Winkler and her associates at Daimler got this one right - there is no room in the U.S. small car segment or the smart showroom for the smart forfour and what would be a lofty price point.
Neonspinnazz and Incochief like this.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:58 PM
SCOA Club

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incochief View Post
At least hot cakes have their own day once a year. That would be Shrove Tuesday I think.
National Pancake Day

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 08:16 PM
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,603 Times in 980 Posts
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Garage
I've always figured if I wanted or needed a small four door, well, I'd have a gazillion different models to chose from. One of the big attractions (for me) of the fortwo was that it is a two seater, and the least expensive two seater available, to my knowledge.
And the cabrio is the least expensive convertible, so I have a fortwo cabrio, because I ain't rich.
It's a fun to drive little car. It's not a people hauler.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
The cars you mention, are a lot larger then the forfour. I own 2 of the ones you suggested. I'm 10 minutes from our smart dealership. The smart you own. Your driving a hour for service. The brand been here for over 8 years now. The consumer is pretty aware of the vehicle. The forfour, would really help smarts, sales numbers grow. The practical smart.
.... the ForTwo has been in the country for 8 years. How does that make the consumer "aware of the vehicle"? Yes, they're aware that the ForTwo exists, but the majority know absolutely jack about it. People still quietly make jokes about them to people they're with. Just the other day i stopped at a local gas station to drop off a RedBox movie, and as i was pulling into a space, i noticed two people staring at my car. As soon as i got up to the redbox, i heard the girl say something along the lines of "If you'd hit a snail, you'd roll it".

You want another reason why your theory is a little flawed? Check the dealership map. There are 87 Smart Centers in the ENTIRE United States.... the vast majority of which being cluttered around larger cities in coastal Florida and California. Look how many states have NO centers. How do these people know about the car, besides maybe a group that shows up to a car show (which would still be rather unlikely considering the lack of dealerships in a lot of areas).

Even in areas where there IS a smart center within a reasonable distance, It's not so much that people have a knowledge of the car as it is a willful obliviousness to what exactly it is.

And no... the ForFour would be wasted here in the US. As it's been mentioned, with gas prices being a bit lower than they've been, demand for smaller cars has dropped noticeably. The Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 have already been put out of production due to it... and for the first year or two, the Dart's sold like crazy. No idea why, though.... i owned one, and it sucked.

Last edited by ElementalDragon; 05-09-2016 at 09:07 PM.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:11 AM
SCOA Club

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
..... the Spark isn't an EV....
EV Spark for 2016, Chevy's advertizing it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode