Want the 4 door really bad - Page 3 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can understand why they are not going too big on this...probably something in sticking to what you know/are known for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanked 1,164 Times in 814 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
.... the ForTwo has been in the country for 8 years. How does that make the consumer "aware of the vehicle"? Yes, they're aware that the ForTwo exists, but the majority know absolutely jack about it. People still quietly make jokes about them to people they're with. Just the other day i stopped at a local gas station to drop off a RedBox movie, and as i was pulling into a space, i noticed two people staring at my car. As soon as i got up to the redbox, i heard the girl say something along the lines of "If you'd hit a snail, you'd roll it".

You want another reason why your theory is a little flawed? Check the dealership map. There are 87 Smart Centers in the ENTIRE United States.... the vast majority of which being cluttered around larger cities in coastal Florida and California. Look how many states have NO centers. How do these people know about the car, besides maybe a group that shows up to a car show (which would still be rather unlikely considering the lack of dealerships in a lot of areas).

Even in areas where there IS a smart center within a reasonable distance, It's not so much that people have a knowledge of the car as it is a willful obliviousness to what exactly it is.

And no... the ForFour would be wasted here in the US. As it's been mentioned, with gas prices being a bit lower than they've been, demand for smaller cars has dropped noticeably. The Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 have already been put out of production due to it... and for the first year or two, the Dart's sold like crazy. No idea why, though.... i owned one, and it sucked.
In the 8 years of smart ownership. I seen the nasty comment. I seen the good ones too. Got the same aditude about our 5 year old Fiat 500, and our old 9 year old Honda Fit.

The styling of the Dodge Dart was dated, compared to the competition, at introduction. Rental cars. The 200, is the best looking mid size that's come out of FCA so far. Lets drop it. Let's build more SUV's. Stupid.

I like fillin 3 small cars, with $44.00 buck of fuel a week. Gas is not going to stay cheap.

smart only sells one model vehicle. A 2 seat. Not in big demand. Why bother with it. That's why there's only 87 dealerships. A forfour, would out sell the 2 seat. My question to you, why is the forfour, such a waste here, and the fortwo isn't. Why are you driving a smart car, if you so upset, someone making fun of you?
Miss Mercedes likes this.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post
Why are you driving a smart car
Great question that deserves it's own thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 11:08 AM

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,479 Posts
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
No.... they're not really missing a market. They just don't seem to have much interest in trying to fill an already over-saturated market. Between Fiat 500's (and all their outcroppings), Nissan Versa Note's, Chevy Sparks, Honda CR-Z/Fit, Toyota Prius C/Yaris, Ford Fiesta/C-Max.... there's already plenty of options that people are well aware of, and almost certainly with a dealership MUCH closer to them. Smart's are unique. Why would someone who hardly knows the brand look into getting a 4-seater Smart and potentially have to drive for an hour or more to the dealership when they could probably go just down the street and get a Spark or something similar?
The market is only over-saturated because American car buyers don't understand what car classes mean.

The smart is a city car. In most parts of the world, they're known as an A-Segment car. An A-Segment car is smaller than the B-Segment cars Americans love to call "economy cars". A-Segment cars typically are NOT designed to be cheap transport, but instead are designed to be good city transport.

Out of the cars you posted above, only the Chevy Spark and the Fiat 500 are true A-Segment (city) cars. The only other A-Segment cars sold in America are the Scion iQ (dead), Mitsubishi Mirage, and the smart. The fortwo is not in an over-saturated market if you define the market by their actual textbook definitions.

B-Segment cars are often called city cars, but they were never meant to be city cars...hence why cars like the Fiat 500 and the smart cost more than a car that's larger...because they have a different target in mind than a B-Segment car.

The new forfour is considered to be an A-Segment car. In countries outside of the USA, that it gets the big tax breaks and big insurance breaks that other A-Segment cars get, but are as roomy as a B-Segment car.

But unfortunately, since America does not give incentives to those who drive the smallest cars, a city car is seen as an unnecessary novelty.

And for that, I have to change my opinion. While I do think a forfour would sell better than the fortwo, I don't think it could ever come close to pulling Chevy Spark sales numbers. And so, probably not worth bringing over here.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 11:18 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,328 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonspinnazz View Post
The smart is a city car. In most parts of the world, they're known as an A-Segment car.

But unfortunately, since America does not give incentives to those who drive the smallest cars, a city car is seen as an unnecessary novelty.
Given the "City Car" label most uninformed Americans would think that smart would be restricted to the sidewalk or run the scrutiny of a golf cart...
Miss Mercedes likes this.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Quote:
A-Segment cars typically are NOT designed to be cheap transport, but instead are designed to be good city transport.
Well said. It's part of the reason I chose the smart over other small vehicles. It is very well appointed while meeting my city car needs.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post
In the 8 years of smart ownership. I seen the nasty comment. I seen the good ones too. Got the same aditude about our 5 year old Fiat 500, and our old 9 year old Honda Fit.

The styling of the Dodge Dart was dated, compared to the competition, at introduction. Rental cars. The 200, is the best looking mid size that's come out of FCA so far. Lets drop it. Let's build more SUV's. Stupid.

I like fillin 3 small cars, with $44.00 buck of fuel a week. Gas is not going to stay cheap.

smart only sells one model vehicle. A 2 seat. Not in big demand. Why bother with it. That's why there's only 87 dealerships. A forfour, would out sell the 2 seat. My question to you, why is the forfour, such a waste here, and the fortwo isn't. Why are you driving a smart car, if you so upset, someone making fun of you?
To start.... how exactly was the styling of the Dart dated at introduction? pretty much its entire body design, exterior and interior, was based off of an Alfa Romeo Giulia... which is a pretty sharp car in and of itself. They just added their own Dodge flair to it.... mostly the front end.

As for my thoughts on the ForFour, there are two things people generally look for when it comes to a car. Does it suit their needs space-wise, and does it have power. Now, i'm not talking about 500 horsepower able to spin the tires through the first three gears kind of power... but enough to get out of its own way if required. People already see the ForTwo itself as being a slow car. You think they'd really consider a larger car with the same exact engine?

And don't get me wrong. I love driving my Smart. This is actually the second ForTwo that I've owned. I don't hate the comments, i just find them annoying coming from people who could have just as simply asked a question about the car. It's not as if they didn't have an opportunity to do so. I gladly talk to people about the car if they ask me questions about it, answering any questions they may have. But if people are going to poke fun at a car for no apparent reason while having absolutely no knowledge of the car, then i don't really see any point in wasting my time enlightening them.
Smart Bob and Mister_smart_LA like this.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Want the 4 door really bad

Quote:
The smart is a city car.

Just because the smart does well in the city doesn't mean it's a city car. Especially in the age of the 453, which is as comfy on the freeway as around town. Last weekend I did nearly 600 highway and mountain road miles in my 453, at 75+ MPH, and the 453 was more entertaining and refreshing to drive than any porky behemoth. The first leg of my trip netted 48 MPG, and the return did 46. So, why do we shoot ourselves in the foot by pigeonholing the smart as a city car, just because some marketing birdbrain stuck it with that label? Even though the smart is small, we owners should set the record straight about small-minded monikers. It's an everywhere car. For two.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:00 PM
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,608 Times in 985 Posts
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
It's an everywhere car. For two.
Mine has been from the Louisiana Delta to the summit of Pikes Peak to the Appalachians to the Space Coast of Florida (and points between). That city is called the Eastern 2/3rds of the USA, I reckon.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
It's an everywhere car. For two.
And just so happens to also be a blast to drive in the city.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode