post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 05:23 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post

I like fillin 3 small cars, with $44.00 buck of fuel a week. Gas is not going to stay cheap.
Where I'm at the gas prices have already started going up. Our local smart dealership posts pictures on facebook of those who buy smarts, at least 4 in the past month. I just don't see them on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 11:09 AM

Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,455 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Just because the smart does well in the city doesn't mean it's a city car. Especially in the age of the 453, which is as comfy on the freeway as around town. Last weekend I did nearly 600 highway and mountain road miles in my 453, at 75+ MPH, and the 453 was more entertaining and refreshing to drive than any porky behemoth. The first leg of my trip netted 48 MPG, and the return did 46. So, why do we shoot ourselves in the foot by pigeonholing the smart as a city car, just because some marketing birdbrain stuck it with that label? Even though the smart is small, we owners should set the record straight about small-minded monikers. It's an everywhere car. For two.
I don't disagree at all.

My only argument is that one can't compare a smart to a Honda Fit because they are entirely different cars serving different purposes. Per how Europe structures car classes, a smart is a city car...a segment smaller than cars Americans are used to.

Now, it is almost objectively true that smarts can be great road warriors (as evidenced by everyone on these forums), but without any sort of real advertising, how will small car buyers know? I still get people saying "WHAT A DEATHTRAP!!!" to me even though that is 110% incorrect.
jwight, Smart Bob and cuchulain3 like this.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Well, the forfour is available over here, and at a relatively small premium for the two extra seats too. I'm finally starting to see driving reports of the new smarts in the local media, and as far as I can remember they've all favoured the forfour as the more practical option. My mom told me of a radio journalist who had said on Saturday that the forfour was the better choice, but that prospective buyers would be well advised to wait for the turbo engine, which will only be arriving in a month or two.

The Twinamic transmission will also only arrive with the turbo engine, and after having sat in the manual and found that there's no room for my left foot next to the clutch and that I'd therefore have no way to straighten my left leg except when stepping on the clutch, I'd definitely opt for the Twinamic transmission if I were to buy one. But I'd still go for the fortwo again as well anyway! The Brabus will apparently also become available here yet another couple of months after the turbo, so I'm excited to see that, with almost 120 hp...

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post
smart really needs to offer this here. Their missing the market. This little car would sell like hot cakes. Chevy proved that with the city car the spark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rq0Czf2V0J8&feature=share

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rq0Czf2V0J8&feature=share
They may be worried the Spark would kick it's proverbial butt!
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
They may be worried the Spark would kick it's proverbial butt!
It would be an interesting battle...TWO butt ugly cars against each other.
Nissan needs to bring Renault to the States. The 4 door Twingo would end all discussion about the forfour
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:51 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I not only wish the Forfour was sold in the US but also the Forfour SUV and the roadster. I think it would broaden the appeal of the Smart brand.
Not really about the SUV but it is a neat video of the Fortwo and Forfour.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:49 PM

Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,455 Posts
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage
To be honest, the only way a smart SUV would ever work is if they built a crossover and priced it no higher than Buick's crossovers (and made it just as attractive). Otherwise it would be an absolute waste. Real SUVs are becoming more and more of a tough sell in America, but fake SUVs roll of the lot in spades.
arhenry12 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode