Smart Car of America Forum banner

0.00 & 8.88 (gas tank)

11K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  sportsmartcar 
#1 ·
I have read many discussions on this forum devoted to the capacity of the smart's gas tank.

Well, this morning, much to my horror, my smart's gas gauge clicked down to 0.0. I was able to drive another 2.4 miles with the gauge reading 0.0 gals.

When I filled up, I was surprised to see that the tank took 8.8 gallons of fuel. I did not (and never do) top off the tank. I withdrew the nozzle at the first click off.

So, how much fuel IS remaining in the tank AFTER the gauge reads 0.0?
What IS the capacity of the tank?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

#5 ·
Like I said, if you aren't interested in the post, close it and move on.
You've now posted twice to a forum topic you aren't interested in.
I enjoy this website, and frequently read forum postings on topics that have been discussed many times. I just don't understand the energy expended in admonishing forum users on stuff like this.

Cheers.

#6 ·
Like I said, if you aren't interested in the post, close it and move on.
You've now posted twice to a forum topic you aren't interested in.
I enjoy this website, and frequently read forum postings on topics that have been discussed many times. I just don't understand the energy expended in admonishing forum users on stuff like this.
Amen! :yelclap:

Revisiting a topic often yields additional information or insight. I'm not so arrogant as to believe that once I've answered a question, that my answer should be forever enshrined as the answer for all eternity, to be searched for, read, but never to be questioned or discussed again.

Treat people online the way that you would were you to be talking to them face-to-face. Don't berate them because they tried to strike up a conversation rather than searching through transcripts of old conversations in which they were not participants.

#7 ·
I generally just lurk here but having been on many forums for years, it is my belief that there is something definitely wrong with those who have nothing better to do than to get upset with others who ask a question that has been asked before and chastise them for not searching. Good gawd, if everyone who ever has a question found the answer by searching, eventually all questions will be covered and nobody will ever post questions again and the forum dies. It stops being a forum for which it was originally brought into existence. It then just becomes a library. No-one ever needs to post anything anymore except garbage.
Geez, get a grip. If you don't want to answer, then DON'T. Does it make you feel so much better to tell somebody to go search? Do you go to a party and tell someone to shut up if they bring up a topic that was discussed at the last party? "We don't discuss that at this party. We talked about that last time. Go check the video tape of the last party. No need to bring that up again." :rolleyes:
I had hoped that Smart car people were a nicer bunch of people but I guess in any crowd, you've got a few odd ones.

#9 ·
If sixcrows (or anyone else) wants to put the questions to rest all he needs to do is drive the car until it runs out of gas & then tell us how much he puts in to fill it to the first click. So far no one has done this so the confusion continues. Only then will we know how big a smart tank REALLY is. I of course don't intend to do this but I hope someone does.

#11 ·
My frustration is not so much with asking the question again, but that it has been asked and answered many times. People HAVE run their cars dry and filled up, techs have posted, the manual has been interpreted, but there's always someone that says "but it still isn't clear". Instead of asking, as minke-in-sa says, test it and find out, because no one seems to believe what anyone else says. I don't see how "asking the question agaon" will yield any new knowlege. Test it. Run it dry with 1 galon gas can in the back, then go fill it up. Then you'll know. No need to post the answer because there will be many that won't believe you, and will "ask" again.

Go look at the other threads, they were incredibly circular.

There are many threads here that are very useful, this topick however has been beaten to death..

#37 ·
May I just suggest that you stop reading and responding. Go look at another topic! I am relatively new and got slammed by people like you when I discovered what I thought was an anomaly and posted it, looking for information, not a lot of moning and groaning about "Oh nooooooooo", not again"!@!! :rolleyes:

#12 ·
No horse is too dead to beat

Why is there air? How far is up? How much gas does the fortwo's tank hold? Some things are not meant for mere mortals to know. :)

My vote - fill it until the nozzle clicks off, drive until E on the gas gauge, repeat as necessary.

#46 ·
Letting a diesel Smart run out of fuel

I did it on purpose one time. All you have to do to prime it is hold down the gas peddle while you are turning the key to start it. It takes a couple of attempts, but will start.

On the other hand, if my 08 Ram Cummins runs out, I call roadside, too complicated for me..
Debbie

#18 ·
i fill up when convenience and my mood strikes - but i tend not to play games and see how low i can make the gauge go before i fill up. i've filled up many times when the gauge is reading between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. and i don't feel ashamed or a lesser person because of it.

the competitiveness in seeing who can get the gauge the lowest before fill up is somewhat disconcerting.

in my mind, a reserve is not to be wasted but conserved for emergencies, if it even does exist. perhaps the credit issues, spending money one doesn't even have has bled over to using gas one cannot afford to use. when the bank account reaches $0.00, you still have $10,000K credit cards available. that sort of thing.

lol.

#43 ·
i fill up when convenience and my mood strikes - but i tend not to play games and see how low i can make the gauge go before i fill up. i've filled up many times when the gauge is reading between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. and i don't feel ashamed or a lesser person because of it.

the competitiveness in seeing who can get the gauge the lowest before fill up is somewhat disconcerting.

lol.
DITTO!! :D

#19 ·
It is all very personal, for me I don't let it get too low, I fill when I am getting close to E. it is not worth taking it all the way down to fall short 3 blocks from the Gas Station. It might be some factor I have no control over, traffic light malfunction causing stop and go traffic?

Be careful of the Gas powered cars, if you run out of fuel many fuel pumps use the fuel for lubrication and cooling. No fuel too many times, replace pump.

#26 ·
Y'know what? I am still surprised every time somebody gets so irritated by revisited topics. Quite frankly, I found myself surprised to STILL be driving with 0.0 gallons of fuel, so I shared this on the forum.

Then, I get hit with this "HOW DARE YOU POST THIS AGAIN" mentality. Jesus Christ, if you don't like the post, just close the window. What the hell are these people so pissed off about? Is it the three seconds out of their lives it took to read my post, and then the additional 10 seconds it took them to spout off about it?

It makes posting to this forum FAR less fun than it was when I started here several months ago. I have to try to remember that some members have been very kind and helpful and have actually made driving my car more fun and economical. I suppose the occasional grouchy, self-appointed forum cop shouldn't detract from my enjoyment of this website.

#23 ·
Sometimes I think we forget that people post partly because they want to be part of the community, engage in the discussion. It's more fun and more enlightening then going back and reading a discussion that other people had some time ago.

Live and let post - that's my motto!

BTW -- I have no idea the true capacity of my fuel tank.
Come to think of it, of all the cars I've ever owned, I've never known this or cared to know.

For the smart, I drive roughly 300+ some miles, pump in roughly 7 - 8'ish something gallons of gas, pay the man and move along. :smartje.rd.zw:

#28 ·
Repeat after me: "It just doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter since the rich kids get all the nice looking girls."
There, don't we all feel better?
People read the tech stuff for information. People write here to connect with others. Both activities are valuable and honorable.
This is a very nice site. I guess that's a compliment to you guys (male and female). Like our little cars there is no reason why we cannot be both competent and fun.

#32 ·
Possible solutions

I was having the same problem. Joey at tech support recommended:
Joey at their tech support had this suggestion:

It sounds like something may have been messed up with the fillup. One way to solve it would be to go back to defaults MORE>MORE>MORE>USE DEFAULTS>YES then enter in your engine and tank size again. And do the fillup calibration from page 18-19 in the manual. (Don't adjust any settings after this initial filllup. Only adjust them at the next and subsequent ones.)
Another factor that Joey at Scangauge pointed out is that, if you disconnect the gauge before it has shut itself off, it won't keep the data from the last trip. Since I occasionally disconnect it and put in under the passenger seat if I know it'll be in the direct sun for a long period that may have been my problem. It seems to be pretty much on track (at least for the last 2 fillups) since I reset it and have been careful to let it shut down before disconnecting.
Hope it works for you.

#31 ·
sixcrows:
I SO totally agree with you!! I've posted things before, and gotten hit with that same 'you dumb-a$$...this has been discussed ad nauseum' attitude.
Makes me just sign off & not come back for awhile! But then again, there are SO many nice, helpful, funny people here, that I try to ignore the occasional Grumpy-Gus! :)

#38 ·
Oh great, we woke up a zombie thread... Oh well, let's do it...

Ok people, so some didn't use search when they found something they thought was new. Please don't bash them but just remind them that the search option really works and most of the time better than Bing or Google. :)

And maybe help them out with this new-to-them problem instead of just bashing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.