Join Date: Mar 2017
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2003 Smart won't start after engine rebuilt
I own a 2003 Fortwo (type 450) 0.6 turbo.
Last week I rebuilt the whole engine. I've changed all the internals parts (pistons, piston rings, valves, rod bearings, timing chain...), plus clutch, coils, spark plugs, filters, sensors, and so on...
Problem is, the engine turns over but won't fire up. All lights on the instrument cluster are normal. And there is no DTC codes raised by the ECU...
What I've checked so far :
- There are sparks on the spark plugs
- Fuel is coming to the rail AND into the cylinders (spark plugs are wet)
- Timing is good (and I think even with a tooth off, the engine would (badly) start)
- Checked and rechecked that clutch has been mounted properly (because of the gap in the flywheel for the CPS - crankshaft position sensor)
- CPS is brand new
- No error in the wiring
- All fuses are OK
- Compressions are good
- I guess ECU is OK since it responds to my Scantool, I even can read parameters in realtime (advance, air intake temp, throttle position, etc)
I surely miss something here but I'm totally stuck. There is fuel, there is spark, the camshaft moves : how a engine could not start with all that ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Last edited by Akura; 03-17-2017 at 08:38 AM.