2008 Smart fortwo engine overheating. - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2008 Smart fortwo engine overheating.

Hi, this is a 2008 smart fortwo, my engine keeps overheating. Problem is that the anti-freeze overflows tank. Ive let the air out from the cooling system, and still the same problems after trying many times. What could be the problem? I put a new therastat, and cooling temp sensor (aftermarket).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 4,742 Times in 2,757 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Tough way to join SCoA, but welcome!

What does the smart center say about it? You might also try contacting the smart USA/DVI customer service rep: mbusa_cac@mbusa.com, just mention Quinn in the subject line.

Question - how much coolant is in the overflow tank when the engine is cold? Is it filled to the "full" mark?

Last edited by jwight; 08-10-2012 at 01:19 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:34 PM

What kind of coolant mixture are you using, and have you tried replacing the reservoir cap?
#4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Top back gotta go . . .
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,110 Posts
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vark123 View Post
Hi, this is a 2008 smart fortwo, my engine keeps overheating. Problem is that the anti-freeze overflows tank. Ive let the air out from the cooling system, and still the same problems after trying many times. What could be the problem? I put a new therastat, and cooling temp sensor (aftermarket).
  1. As there is no temperature gauge, how do you know it is overheating?
  2. A new thermostat and cooling temp sensor - where did you find these smart parts as "aftermarket"?
#5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Thanks, forgot to introduce myself!

jwight- Yes ive contacted them, they told me to, bleeding air from cooling system , telling me that there was air in the cooling system., and it was full mark on cold.

padawan- 50/50, and yes ive replaced the cap.

mb dna- So when im driving, the antifreeze is being pushed out of the tank, overflowing. , and the red temp light goes on for engine overheat. thermostat i bought from the dealer, but the cooling temp sensor from ebay, from mitsubishi mirage, and it fits.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Top back gotta go . . .
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,110 Posts
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vark123 View Post
mb dna- So when im driving, the antifreeze is being pushed out of the tank, overflowing. , and the red temp light goes on for engine overheat. thermostat i bought from the dealer, but the cooling temp sensor from ebay, from mitsubishi mirage, and it fits.
vark123, welcome to SCoA.

Probably don't want to flirt with the red temperature light as disaster could be just around the corner.

Here's hoping that there has been no damage done but unfortunately you may need to head to the dealer and I'd be hesitant to drive it there.

Best of luck and do keep us in the loop as to the cause and solution.

Coolant loss dilemma
The Following User Says Thank You to MB DNA For This Useful Post:
vark123 (09-18-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:54 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Overheating:

There are several factors that I would look at. One of course is that you have air trapped in the system and it needs to be bled out. If after doing this, your engine is still overheating I would make sure that the thermostat is not installed backwards or it stuck closed. The other issue is whether or not you have a blown head gasket. Check your oil after the engine has sat for a long while and see if there is evidense of coolant on the dipstick? Hopefully, all you will see is oil. Also, if the coolant or crankcase oil looks like a chocolate milkshake then you know that coolant is entering the crankcase and vice-versa. You can also check for combustion gases in the cooling system with a sniffer device called Block Chek. You may have to come up with a way to get the end of the adapter to fit into the coolant bottle opening. Block Chek is a blue liquid and after squeezing the bulb on the sniffer a few times, if the liquid turns green or yellow then you have combustion gases entering the cooling system. This will cause overheating and the cause is usually a head gasket along with a warped cylinder head. Let us know what you find out?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smart Bob For This Useful Post:
jetfuel (08-10-2012), larryw4csc (08-10-2012), MB DNA (08-10-2012), vark123 (09-18-2012)
#8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:10 PM
HGB
SCOA Club

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Years ago on the old BMW 2002 series cars, it was necessary to put the car on an incline while running it at well above idle speed and adding water/antifreeze mixture until it stopped burping. This was to get rid of a small pocket of air out of the system which seemed to remain otherwise. I don't know how this may apply to the smart, yet it may be a consideration...if it can be applied here.

Then at another time I had a friend who worked in parts of a dealership and he informed me that a whole bunch of defective BEHR thermostats were sent to them.
So nothing is ever what it seems...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HGB For This Useful Post:
a2jack (08-11-2012), vark123 (09-18-2012)
#9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
After the posts about overheating and $6000 repair bills surfaced, I drove my Smart up a steep bank across the street after it had opened its thermostat and heated up. I also turned the heater on and shoved the temp all the way up to open any valves in the heating system, just to see what would happen, putting the radiator and its reservoir way above the engine and everything else in this system. I was amazed at how much coolant it took to refill the radiator and the chinzy recovery tank at the top of the heap. There must have been a helluva bubble somewhere and mine showed no sign of overheating at all on my Ultragage, which moves constantly around from 170 to 200F after the initial heatup. The crap thermostat has a huge hysteresis before it opens the first time, then the flood of cold water in all those long lines come flooding into the engine hitting hot head parts which cannot be doing the cheap aluminum any good at all. Is there even a leaking hole in the OEM thermostat to prewarm the cold water in the radiator and long pipes before it opens the first time?

The level hasn't changed much since I got that bubble out. Sure wish the radiator was in the back like my little Fiat sports car of long ago. You can't even see the plumbing on this Smart....buried under the plastics.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to larryw4csc For This Useful Post:
HGB (08-11-2012), vark123 (09-18-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 PM
ADOPT...Don't Shop!
SCOA Club

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryw4csc View Post
After the posts about overheating and $6000 repair bills surfaced, I drove my Smart up a steep bank across the street after it had opened its thermostat and heated up. I also turned the heater on and shoved the temp all the way up to open any valves in the heating system, just to see what would happen, putting the radiator and its reservoir way above the engine and everything else in this system. I was amazed at how much coolant it took to refill the radiator and the chinzy recovery tank at the top of the heap. There must have been a helluva bubble somewhere and mine showed no sign of overheating at all on my Ultragage, which moves constantly around from 170 to 200F after the initial heatup. The crap thermostat has a huge hysteresis before it opens the first time, then the flood of cold water in all those long lines come flooding into the engine hitting hot head parts which cannot be doing the cheap aluminum any good at all. Is there even a leaking hole in the OEM thermostat to prewarm the cold water in the radiator and long pipes before it opens the first time?

The level hasn't changed much since I got that bubble out. Sure wish the radiator was in the back like my little Fiat sports car of long ago. You can't even see the plumbing on this Smart....buried under the plastics.
So... You had a 850 spider???
NEVER NEVER EVER overheat a Fiat either with their cheap aluminum heads...Ask me how I know.....The dealer change the coolant in our 2000 spider and didn't burp the air out. End result was a warped head and luckily the dealer ate that repair
The Following User Says Thank You to kheran For This Useful Post:
vark123 (09-18-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode