Frankensmart
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,928 Times in 909 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantKiller View Post
brought it up @nationals to service guy and he said he knew about it. I bought new hoses. (I was one of the lucky ones with rubing hose) the replace ment hose was about 1/8" shorter on engine side I shortened the worn 1 and put it back on to see and it fixed the clearance prob. So if yours is up against the frame an not worn yet just cut a little off the end and it'll be good. The differance is very small. But it is enough to put it up against the frame.And engine shake wears it out.
GK, did you ever get your quick couplers installed ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNEY O View Post
GK, did you ever get your quick couplers installed ?
Been working so darn much havn't even looked at it. I think I'm going to break my previous record of 3296 hrs this year the way it's going. Every thing is done except the radiator lines I've got some new ideas just haven't had the time to persue them.
post #63 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
better translation

i know this thread is pretty old but here is a better translation of what that actually says:

1000cc fortwo model 451. please watch your water temperatures when driving
because the coolant pipe can rub against the body of the car underneath
where the radiator pipe goes towards the front of the car. In the design,
it was already known to be a problem so some nylon netting was added but
the engine still moves up and down and will cause the pipe to grind and
break.

Broken coolant pipes will cause the engine coolant to boil away. it is important
to immediately stop driving, otherwise the engine will overheat. If you
have distilled water onboard you can open the hood and on the front passenger side there is a large white colored tank. add some water then you can drive again. This is because the water leaks out slowly and you can get to where you need to go.

for maintenance call (whatever the place is I don't really understand what he is saying here)

To prevent this, raise the rear of the vehicle and add something to reduce
the direct friction on the pipe which causes it to burst.

a picture where the pipe is located.

It is imperative that at your next service you point this inspection out
to your service department and have them document it on your receipt. This
way, if there is a problem with the pipe in the future and it causes engine
damage, you can show that you have proof of the problem. otherwise the dealership might try to say it is your fault and you will be responsible for the costs.
post #64 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 AM
Frankensmart
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,928 Times in 909 Posts
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantKiller View Post
Been working so darn much havn't even looked at it. I think I'm going to break my previous record of 3296 hrs this year the way it's going. Every thing is done except the radiator lines I've got some new ideas just haven't had the time to persue them.

Love the dedication, but don't burn yourself out. Life goes by way to fast.
post #65 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabusct View Post
Since the brabus is an 09 , was the hose a different configuration than your 08 passion as someone else suggested ? . Wondering if I should go look at mine or if smart changed the setup on later builds
Oh the whole configuration pictures confused me. I did take a picture of it for my own records, plus I can bring that picture on my phone if I have someone else service the vehicle and show them what to look for. I don't think you can attach pictures here without a link.

My Brabus is one of the first to hit the states. I took delivery in December of 2008, so I'm not sure how much later of a model that it actually is compared to most that were delivered months later.

At any rate, I would recommend checking it at every oil change. It just takes a quick glance to be 100% confident. Doesn't cost anything but a few seconds.
post #66 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 AM

Thanked 1,496 Times in 999 Posts
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNEY O View Post
Love the dedication, but don't burn yourself out. Life goes by way to fast.
yeah, I averaged (including vacatgionas and holidays) 70 hours a week for the first 2 years over here in Korea! (3460 was the record!) Now it's like a vacation -- just 50 a week. The money is less though...
post #67 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is there a re call notice on this particular problem??
Is this problem only on 2008??
post #68 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,833 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
No recall; pretty much on a very few earlier cars, haven't seen any posts about this on later year cars.
chieftmc likes this.
post #69 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a 2009 Brabus (del date 08/2009).
I have 40 K, and got my sears hydraulic jack out, and looked for this problem. I have a friction rub of minor nature, but good clearance, about 1/4th to 3/8ths of an inch. The rub mark isn't fraying the hose, but evidently engine torquing is making it rub some of the time. I'm not worried, but did a little preventive action. I got some vacuum hose, 1/4th outer diameter, 1/8th inner diameter, and cut about a 3 inch piece, and sliced it down the middle with a razor blade, dabbed some clear silicone sealant glue inside the split, cleaned the glue up first , then crawled up under, and slid this small protective hose onto the pinch weld facing the hose. Let the glue dry, and I'm good to go. I will obviously watch it, and thought you all could do this small prevention to stop the sharp edge of the pinch weld from wearing the hose on your cars.
Smart Bob likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkalexdc For This Useful Post:
jwight (05-25-2014), toaster (05-26-2014)
post #70 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkalexdc View Post
I have a 2009 Brabus (del date 08/2009).
I have 40 K, and got my sears hydraulic jack out, and looked for this problem. I have a friction rub of minor nature, but good clearance, about 1/4th to 3/8ths of an inch. The rub mark isn't fraying the hose, but evidently engine torquing is making it rub some of the time. I'm not worried, but did a little preventive action. I got some vacuum hose, 1/4th outer diameter, 1/8th inner diameter, and cut about a 3 inch piece, and sliced it down the middle with a razor blade, dabbed some clear silicone sealant glue inside the split, cleaned the glue up first , then crawled up under, and slid this small protective hose onto the pinch weld facing the hose. Let the glue dry, and I'm good to go. I will obviously watch it, and thought you all could do this small prevention to stop the sharp edge of the pinch weld from wearing the hose on your cars.

Thanks for the reminder to check this item on my car, a 2009 Passion with 30k miles. Sure enough, my hose was contacting the pinch weld, but fortunately the wear mark on the woven hose covering was minor.

I had some hose and silicone sealant on hand, so I did the same fix as you. Thanks for the idea... just wish my fingers were double-jointed!

~toaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode