ABS Light On - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ABS Light On

About 2 weeks ago, while driving our 09 passion with under 800 miles, the ABS light came on, and stayed on. Because it had been raining that day, and we were leaving for a week trip (without the Smart) I figured that this was a problem for my return.
Came home, started the car, that the entire time had been in the garage, and the light came on and stayed on.
I have an appointment to have it serviced at the Bedford Ohio dealership next Wednesday. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:35 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,444 Times in 880 Posts
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
I would say you are doing the right thing. Get it to a dealer and let them check it out. It could be a blown fuse but what caused it ?? Let them do their job. You will still be able to stop just not as quickly in a panic situation.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The light has come on 1) when people (like me) disconnect the seat and make the mistake of turning on power or 2) when a connector is intermittent.

Your dealer should be able to get you ready to go. I haven't heard of anyone's worries being extended.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcexplorer View Post
About 2 weeks ago, while driving our 09 passion with under 800 miles, the ABS light came on, and stayed on. Because it had been raining that day, and we were leaving for a week trip (without the Smart) I figured that this was a problem for my return.
Came home, started the car, that the entire time had been in the garage, and the light came on and stayed on.
I have an appointment to have it serviced at the Bedford Ohio dealership next Wednesday. Thoughts?

Have seen very few things that cause and ABS light come on and stay on, the only thing I can think of is the brake lamp switch. Very easy to check, step on your brakes, if the high center brake lamp does not come on more then likely this is the problem.

On a side note if this switch does fail it can prevent you from shifting the vehicle out of park.

If the vehicle starts and the shift detent button on the gear shifter is not stuck and the vehicle will not come out of park, check your high brake lamp. If it does not illuminate when stepping on the brake pedal a couple quick presses to the pedal will usally free it up and allow you to get the vehicle moveing so you are not stranded.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Admin/mod.
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,324 Times in 842 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartSEATTLE View Post
Have seen very few things that cause and ABS light come on and stay on, the only thing I can think of is the brake lamp switch. Very easy to check, step on your brakes, if the high center brake lamp does not come on more then likely this is the problem.

On a side note if this switch does fail it can prevent you from shifting the vehicle out of park.

If the vehicle starts and the shift detent button on the gear shifter is not stuck and the vehicle will not come out of park, check your high brake lamp. If it does not illuminate when stepping on the brake pedal, a couple quick presses to the pedal will usally free it up and allow you to get the vehicle moveing so you are not stranded.
Good tip. Thanks.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:47 PM

Last week, the service department said the reason my ABS light came on and stays on is my front break was over heating. The service manager said it must be my RV breaking system. I do not have use a kill switch. Just put shifter in N, the turn key off. Also needed to use a bungy cord for tracking. I had to add a 24/7 power (Cig lighter) so my break box, that sits on the floor ( Even Break Tow System) that has an arm attached to the break peddle. The only time it engages is when I slam the RV breaks. Also has a dash indicator in the RV that let me know when the Smart breaks are on.
The dealer is ordering a new sensor and they will cover under warranty. Car has less then 850 miles. I will now investigate more into the my Break Buddy settings. Side note: Did not feel any drag and also got the same millage as when I didn't tow.

Last edited by rcexplorer; 08-11-2009 at 07:40 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:17 PM

A big thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
Good tip. Thanks.
I just joined this forum because my 2009 Smart Car was stuck in park, with the ABS light on. Yesterday I had it towed to the dealership & they "fixed" it. But today the same problem... So I thought I'd google an answer, and sure enough your solution worked! I started the car, put my foot on the brake, but no brake lights came on. I pumped the brakes a number of times & the brake lights finally came on. I could then move from park to drive.
I still need to get it back to the dealer to find out why this is happening, but I appreciate not being totally stranded! Thanks again.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 PM

This is just another of the many and unusual buggy problems that plague the smart. The factory has to get grip on these electronic problems and deal with them using the safety recall system. Some of these issues are safety problems.
At the very least there should be Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) supplied to dealerships that outline the problems and solutions.
The only TSB's I found for my 2008 car are listed here - TSB Results : ODI - Office of Defects Investigation
There were none listed for the 2009 model year.
Perhaps there are others that the dealer has but it seems to me that those working on the car are at a loss as to what some of the problems are and how to deal with them. If they occur once that is bad enough, but if they continue to happen in the same vehicles then there is a serious problem.
There is also a Lemon Law. Has anyone taken advantage of it?

The ABS system has stopped working several times with my car. The only common element may have been that it was raining at the time. Each time it happened it cleared itself after a short time or after several days had passed. When the ABS stopped working so did the hillhold feature.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 AM
SCOA Club

My ABS light came on in 20 degree weather and stayed on both times that I used it that day. I noticed it I also did not need to keep my foot on the brake when stopped and in gear as the car did not inch forward like it's supposed to. The next day the light did not come on (still frigid weather) and the idle was back to normal.
Last month the check engine light came on, indicating I should take it to a dealer immediately. Turned out I hadn't screwed the gas cap on tight enough.
I don't want to have to take it in again for the ABS (which is not on anymore) because it's too cold outside to rely on mass transit.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Banned

Any garage will check it for u ,but don't go to a dealership they will probably rip u off.
I hope this will help you.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode