AC / heater fan - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AC / heater fan

My main AC / heater fan switch in the centre of my dash of our 2008 Smart Pure is only working on the number 4 ( high setting) At 1,2 and 3 the fan does not blow for AC or heater.

My dealer got me to put in a new ac / heat fan control unit ($ 565 part and labor). The fan still only works on the high setting.

HELP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Ouch!! If it was mine, I would go back to the dealer and tell them you want your money back!:eek: It is obvious their diagnosis was wrong and did not fix the problem. There are numerous posts on here regarding fan/blower motor problems. If you are not a DIYer, then ask the dealership to try and actually fix the problem this time.

Maybe this will be helpful Heater blower motor repair

Last edited by hihosilver; 07-30-2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: add link
The Following User Says Thank You to hihosilver For This Useful Post:
JazJon (12-10-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Mad about smarts and Cats
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,126 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Sounds like an issue with the heater speed resistor array. It is plugged into the plenum for heat dissipation down near the heater fan. There is a resistor for each of the lower speeds. The selector switch feeds current to the different resistors which dissipate enough power to run the fan at a lower speed. If the resistor array is broken at the common end it is possible for the direct connection that did not go through the resistor array to still work. I would take the heater resistor array out for a visual inspection. You may be able to see a break in it. I believe it is a ceramic based power resistor.
The Following User Says Thank You to BB Benz For This Useful Post:
jkjahobbs (07-30-2013)
#4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 AM
58K miles of smiles
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,395 Posts
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley's View Post
My main AC / heater fan switch in the centre of my dash of our 2008 Smart Pure is only working on the number 4 ( high setting) At 1,2 and 3 the fan does not blow for AC or heater.

My dealer got me to put in a new ac / heat fan control unit ($ 565 part and labor). The fan still only works on the high setting.

HELP.
For all things smart Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia
#5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 01:53 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,004 Times in 455 Posts
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Sounds like a misdiagnosis, doesn't it? The blower motor is fed power from the SAM fuse 4. The blower motor is grounded through the blower resistor and the fan speed switch in the hvac control unit. It seems like a simple matter to check for the ground from the fan switch, or conversely, check for power at the blower resistor connections. If no power is coming through the resistor then replacement of the controller will not fix anything. This is not sub-atomic particle physics, it is a simple electrical circuit.

One is led to wonder how they replaced the controller and did not ensure the fan worked correctly. Sounds like you are due a refund and a do-over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rustedwrench For This Useful Post:
Harley's (07-31-2013), jwight (07-31-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode