User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Brake/Tail/Signal Lamp

Yesterday while sitting a traffic light with my left turn signal on I noticed that the normal click-------Click------Click became a click-click-click-click and then returned to its normal rate. The signal did that a couple of times during the day so I gussed I had a signal light out.

It did turn out to be a broken filiment in the left rear Brake/Tail/Signal lamp. I removed the lamp, it is the upper lamp in the tail light assembly, and went to the parts store to get a new lamp, the stock lamp is a 12V21/5W, of course the parts store did not have that lamp and no cross refference on their computer system yet for smart but we looked around and found a 7528 lamp which is the same lamp except it is a 6 watt lamp insted of the stock 5 watt lamp, no big deal. I changed both rear lamps just because and all is well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm off to the parts store this evening to look for a tail lamp, so this is timely. I tried checking some auto parts sites so I could have the item number in hand when I went in, but I had no luck, so I just figured I'd match by sight.

The higher wattage will draw more current, but if you didn't blow a fuse with the 6W bulb, the only other concern is heat dissipation. Tail lights don't usually stay on long enough to create any real problem. If I find a 5W replacement, I'll come back and post the part number.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryA View Post
I'm off to the parts store this evening to look for a tail lamp, so this is timely. I tried checking some auto parts sites so I could have the item number in hand when I went in, but I had no luck, so I just figured I'd match by sight.

The higher wattage will draw more current, but if you didn't blow a fuse with the 6W bulb, the only other concern is heat dissipation. Tail lights don't usually stay on long enough to create any real problem. If I find a 5W replacement, I'll come back and post the part number.
The difference between a 5w and a 6w is of no praticle concern. I tested the stock lamp and it was 5.4 watts, I would not waste much time hunting for a 5w vs a 6w.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 06:04 AM

The factory replacement is a P21/5W. Most parts stores should carry these, but you can also easily find them online.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan View Post
The factory replacement is a P21/5W. Most parts stores should carry these, but you can also easily find them online.
That number is for the front not rear and the number is PY21W for the front.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 05:26 AM

I just had my first tail light bulb go bad. I was getting worried when I went to an Auto Zone store and another car parts specialty store and neither place had the bulb that was called for in the manual (12 volt 21/5). My heart sank when one salesman said I might only be able to get it from the manufacturer/dealer. Then I got online here to discover that some had purchased a bulb from Wal-mart and even gave the brand (Phillips).

Then my hopes 'sunk' when my Wal-mart not only did not have the bulb but it doesn't even sell the Phillips brand of light bulbs. However, right across the street was a Meijer Thrifty Acres store that did and I was able to make my purchase. So much for my faith in always going FIRST to auto specialty stores for replacement parts.

Hopefully, other places will begin to carry these bulbs so people don't feel the 'panic' that I did when I wasn't able to locate one.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Boy View Post
That number is for the front not rear and the number is PY21W for the front.
No, the rear tail/brake/signal is a P21/5W, as I stated in my post.

The front turn signal is not a PY21W, it is a 2357A.

Regardless of what the manual says (there's a misprint in it) or what is on the Evilution site, the bulbs I stated are the factory equipment on the US 451.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Boy View Post
Yesterday while sitting a traffic light with my left turn signal on I noticed that the normal click-------Click------Click became a click-click-click-click and then returned to its normal rate. The signal did that a couple of times during the day so I gussed I had a signal light out.
I had the exact same thing happen to me today on the drive in. When I parked, I turned on the blinker and circled the car... rear blinker wasn't blinking. So, being a little perturbed, I gave it a swift smack, and suddenly it stated blinking and slowed down.

So, either the connector was loose, or I knocked the filament back into place, OR I'm some how mystically channeling the powers of Henry Winkler.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:35 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Garage
so:

Front : PY21W OR 2357A OR 1157A

REAR: 7528 OR P21/5WOR 1157
#10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 PM
And a-One, And a-Two...
SCOA Club

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody14619 View Post
So, either the connector was loose, or I knocked the filament back into place, OR I'm some how mystically channeling the powers of Henry Winkler.

Hopefully the former; if it's the latter you'll have to jump the shark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode