Dead or Charge Battery & 3 line dash display - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dead or Charge Battery & 3 line dash display

Just so everyone can find the information a little easier...

If you kill (or perhaps even disconnect for whatever reason) your battery, chances are that you are going to see the dreaded "3 lines (bars) of death" on your dash display. This is apparently normal/common in this instance, and there is a restart technique you follow to "reset the computer". That involves a sequence of key off, key on, run the shifter through the gears once or twice, key off, key back on. Thanks to the Evilution Encyclopaedia for this and a lot of other information.

Seems when I did this, I had to go rather slow and I heard a click. Maybe I get the click all the time. But it took me two or three tries to get rid of the three lines in the gear display on the dash.

One thing I noted when I disconnected the battery in order to charge it was that my positive terminal was not only somewhat loose, but there was a LOT of corrosion on the battery terminal. Those of you that may be experiencing weak batteries, or if you're a nervous nelly, might want to pull back the carpet and the battery panel and check your terminals for tightness and corrosion. Just saying...

Last edited by Docthrock; 08-08-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Disconnected my battery several times and never had a problem with the transmission indicator remembering. Mine was always in park and not moved while battery was out.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Banned

Also posted in this thread >>>FAQs/DIY: OPEN to see easy solutions to most common issues ...First post!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunerunner View Post
Also posted in this thread >>>FAQs/DIY: OPEN to see easy solutions to most common issues ...First post!
Thanks for that link. Regrettably when I SEARCHED and read MANY threads, that one didn't appear. Probably has something to do with titles and search keywords. Anyway, just trying to help.

Now I know how fast my battery will die if I leave the dome light ON. Duh.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:29 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I too have disconnected the battery a number of times and never had a shifter problem when it was reconnected.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:55 PM
68K miles of smiles
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,418 Posts
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docthrock View Post
.....Now I know how fast my battery will die if I leave the dome light ON. Duh.
SSOOOOOO Doc,

HOW fast IS it

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

It was about 1.5 days when I checked the car. Maybe less. I wasn't driving the smart during "the blizzard", so it sat alone in the garage. If I hadn't needed to get something out of it to put in my other car, it could have been dead for days.

Who knows how weak the battery was to begin with, due to corrosion and a not so tight cable.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:38 PM

Brand New and had this error

We've had our new 2010 451 for two days. I disconnected the battery to install some driving lights. When we went to start it we saw the flashing dashes in the speedo area and the car would not start. Fortunately I was able to get it started by turning the key on and off a few times and moving the shift lever through the positions as well.
Being a bit of a weekend warrior I suspected some kind of computer glitch. Thanks for posting this to confirm my suspicions regarding the "3 lines of death". Also, while moving the shifter with the key on we could hear what appeared to be the transmission shifting the gears. Since that time, starts fine and no noises from the tranny.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the information. I put my smart up for the winter (Maine)and the battery went dead because I forgot about the Pod clock. Charged it up and to my amazement, four lines. Kept thinking it was the securety system.
Dsilver.. Bangor, Maine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode