delayed start ???? - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
delayed start ????

I have only had my Smart for 3 days... and it could be that I am just not used to the way that it operates..

But has anyone else experianced this.....

I was told to start the car.. to turn the key to pos. 1.. then to pos.2 and let go... the car then starts itself..

Mine does that SOME OF THE TIME... but more often.. I have to hold the key in pos. 2 for some time.. wait for the engine to begin to crank.. then let go.

I have taken it back to the dealer once already and they replaced the battery.... But I find that it is doing the same thing..
I had originally thought that the car would not start... it would eventually start after numerous attempts... but now I find that if I hold Pos. 2 it will start... just now I had to hold the key in Pos. 2 for nearly 5 seconds before the car started...

Does anyone know if this is a "FEATURE" that allows you to start the car even though something in the computer would normally not let it start????

I am pretty certain that the new battery that they put in is already rather low... I do think that I have a charging system problem..
I will be going back to the dealer tomorrow.... but was curious if anyone else had experienced this..

thanks
Louis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I haven't experienced such a long delay. I recall some experiences where I expected it to start cranking before it got going (I figured turning the key = cranking the engine).

I don't recall having the engine start to crank but not finish even if I release the key early.

5 seconds is a long time. I'd think there would be codes for anything beyond a very short delay.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:49 PM

From position 0 to position 2, you should wait in position 1 for at least two seconds to allow the computer to boot up. If you don't, you'll have to wait a few more seconds while it double-checks everything. But it should be fine.

If you leave it in position 1 for 5-10 seconds and it still doesn't start cranking the instant you put it in position 2, there's a problem. Low battery will cause it to simply refuse the start command - and your battery warning light may not show anything. Get a multimeter and test the battery or take it to any Autozone type place to test the battery; if the new battery's low, that's the most likely cause.

If you drive less than 10 miles per day, it's pretty likely your charging system doesn't have enough time to offset the drain from cranking the car 2-4 times a day. Especially if you leave lights or accessories on for more than a few minutes with the engine off. If none of that's true, the charging system could be a problem or the dealer may have gotten a bad batch of batteries and gave you one of them... rare but it happens.

It could also be a loose ground wire somewhere between battery and a hundred places. Or something more serious that the dealer needs to find.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeek View Post

If you drive less than 10 miles per day, it's pretty likely your charging system doesn't have enough time to offset the drain from cranking the car 2-4 times a day. Especially if you leave lights or accessories on for more than a few minutes with the engine off. If none of that's true, the charging system could be a problem or the dealer may have gotten a bad batch of batteries and gave you one of them... rare but it happens.

It could also be a loose ground wire somewhere between battery and a hundred places. Or something more serious that the dealer needs to find.

Hmmm.. I do belive that I have a charging system problem... THat is what I told them when they replaced the battery.. but the computer said everything was fine..
they put the new battery in .. and all was well for a day.. but this afternoon with the A/C on the battery warning light came on again..
I am sure they will find something in the charging system is awry...
I too am betting that it turns out to be a loose ground..

Before they changed the battery I tested the charge voltage with the engine running at the battery and found it to be only about 12.6v.. (not enough to charge).. and I told the technician that... but he said the computer said it was OK...

I do think though.. that my not "knowing" how the car starts has added to the problem... I think that when it does not start every time that there is something terribly wrong... when in reality.. I am just not used to wating long enough for the starter to engage...
THat leads me to complain to the dealer that the car is not starting..
when in reality it would be fine if I had only waited a little longer..

the battery problem though.. that is a problem...

Thanks
Louis
#5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My scanguage shows 13.8-14.1 charging while car is running. I agree 12.6 is low.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode