Having intermittent problem with heater blower - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having intermittent problem with heater blower

About a week ago, on a chilly morning, I noticed that my heater fan was not blowing on any speed, regardless of what I tried. The morning was cool and I was quite irked that it wasn't working and figured I must have blown a fuse. Fortunately I also have heated seats so I was happy that they were giving me some heat. As the engine warmed up, I could feel a slight bit of heat coming out of the heater vents but it appeared to be just coming out due to the hot air rising, not because of the blower.

I then shut off my car and ran my errand, and when I came back out the blower was suddenly working exactly the way it should. I just made a mental note and realized that a blown fuse wasn't the culprit, and it's been working fine for a week or so.

Then today, about 30 minutes into a trip, it was NOT working again, and even though I drove for another 30 minutes, it never did work again, even though I did shut the engine off and restart it at least once.

Has anybody else had any intermittent problem like this, and if so, did you find the cause? One day about a month ago, my traction control light came on along with the TPMS light and stayed on for the duration of a 15 mile trip but then was not on at all, after shutting the car off and restarting it. Of course, it's over a two hour drive to the dealer and the last thing I want to do is go in for an appointment and have everything be working normally.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 AM

Garage
I had the same problem last week. No answer.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:43 PM

Blower motor problem since 2,500 miles NOW at 10,000

First time they thought it was a loose connection to the blower motor.

Second (this time 11/12/08) they could not duplicate the problem. I had a long talk with the service manager and he said they had to duplicate the problem in order to try to fix it.

I truly believe it has to be in this group:

1. Loose connection somewhere in the wiring.

2. Dead spot in blower motor.

3. Bad switch in dash.

4. Cracked board inside control module.

5. Problem at fuse holder circuit.

Does ANYONE know the answer or has had this problem and gotten it fixed. OR, is there another problem area other than the above 5?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Thank You for any and all assistance - it is greatly appreciated.

Chassol

BTW 10,000 miles service at Smart Center Orange Park is (11/12/08) $267.31.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
have your secondary air valve checked.had the same thing happen i think it has somthing todo with vacume.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chassol View Post
3. Bad switch in dash.

Chassol

BTW 10,000 miles service at Smart Center Orange Park is (11/12/08) $267.31.
I would start with the switch as the culprit. Not on my smart but in another car, no blower at times-- clicking on and off would sometimes get it to work, not always. One time when it was switched on but not blowing, it came back on when I went over a little bump (a deployable security wall at work).

As for the BTW-- my 10K service at scPDX on 10/31/08 was $103.75 which included two of the tow bolt hole covers. Wonder why the big difference in cost?
#6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart fortimo View Post
I would start with the switch as the culprit. Not on my smart but in another car, no blower at times-- clicking on and off would sometimes get it to work, not always. One time when it was switched on but not blowing, it came back on when I went over a little bump (a deployable security wall at work).

As for the BTW-- my 10K service at scPDX on 10/31/08 was $103.75 which included two of the tow bolt hole covers. Wonder why the big difference in cost?
That's nothing (my 10,000 mile service) - I was advised the 20,000 mile service is $450.00+ and the $30,000 mile service is $380.00+.

The overhead at this MB dealer has got to be unreal, plus MB sales are down. This new location, opened early 2008, is absolute state of the art and must have cost $3,000,000+ to build.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtraxduffy View Post
have your secondary air valve checked.had the same thing happen i think it has somthing todo with vacume.
Thank you, I'll run it past the service manager................
#8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 12:15 PM

How mine was handled-motor replacement

I was expecting all kinds of hassles when I called to report an 'intermittent' problem, especially since it's 5 hours of total driving with each trek to the dealer. I didn't want to take it in unless I knew it would be dealt with while I was there. Fortunately, my service manager reported that he had dealt with several cars with a similar complaint and each time he had replaced the blower motor and there had been no problems afterwards. He suggested I should bring it in and he would have it done in 15-20 minutes. I was extremely impressed!

I made my appointment and my car was done in the amount of time promised. Now that's what I call service, and I'm extremely pleased with the results.

I had been so worried that I might be given a hassle because I had installed a cruise control and that would be a hurdle I'd have to clear to get them to cover the repair. I had even contacted the cruise control people to see if they thought there could be ANY chance that their device or its installation could have caused the blower fan problem and was told it was extremely unlikely, just so I'd be armed with some counter arguments, should I get any grief from smart. (Actually, the long drive was made so much better because I did have the cruise control feature, and the trip seemed so much shorter as a result.)

I was told by the service manager that when he was placing the order for more heater blower motors that the parts warehouse said they had experienced similar issues with other Mercedes blower motors, so I'm wondering if there's a underlying problem with the motor manufacturing process.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyduo View Post
I had been so worried that I might be given a hassle because I had installed a cruise control and that would be a hurdle I'd have to clear to get them to cover the repair.
Who did you get to install the cruise control?
#10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:05 PM

Mine just started doing this. Only when it is really cold when you need heat. Second time now and this time it took longer to come back on.

Looks like a trip to the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode