Smart Car of America Forum banner

Heated mirror switch DIY

21K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  jimvw57 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Heated Mirror Fix Step-by-Step Part 1 of 2

To take grzzlycanuck 's solution, which I think is k.i.s.s. I'll provide how to make this happen.

Things you will need to perform this FIX.
1) Soldering Gun & Solder (and the skills to use it)
2) Electrical Tape
3) Heat-Shrink Tubing
4) 3 Female Tongue Connectors
5) 1 Illuminated 12vdc switch (I used a Radioshack 275-0018)
6) 1 18" Black automotive hookup wire (I used 18 gauge)
7) 2 18" color-of-your-choice automotive hookup wires (same guage)
8) approx. 1/2" drillbit

First release the S.A.M. (the one with the fuses) from its holder (do NOT remove any wires!) so it looks like this as viewed from the left.........

Where I have label SWITCHED POWER are locations R1-R4.
The WHITE fuse holders are what we are interested in.
One of them has TWO BLACK wires with BLUE STRIPES.
This is the one we will be concentrating on. These are the heated mirrors and there is one wire for the left an one for the right.

Proceed to remove the fuse from only this fuse-holder and begin to pull the TOP of the WHITE fuse holder away from the S.A.M. like this.....

When released it will look like this.......

Now CUT the wires approx. 3-4" from the end like this.......

Now solder and heat-shrink one of your selected-colored-wires to the pair that runs off to the heated mirrors like the following......

Now take the OTHER-colored-wire and do the same for the pair coming FROM the fuse-holder like this......(also insulate when done)......

Now go ahead and connect the BLACK wire to a suitable ground and terminate EACH wire with the Female Connectors like this.......

I STRONGLY suggest you label at least one of the colored-wires i.e. the wire coming from the fuse holder as POWER.

The illluminated 12vdc switch I chose from Radioshack looks like this.....

On the back it has 3 male terminals labeled, POWER, LOAD and, no kidding, EARTH.

=
+
SEE PART 2 of 2
Edited

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Heated Mirror Fix Step-by-Step Part 2 of 2

Heated Mirror Fix Step-by-Step Part 2 of 2

I found a quite suitable, (there's that word again) location for the switch in the left cubbyhole. I drilled an almost 1/2" hole approx. 2" DOWN from the TOP and 1" from the LEFT. This clears molding and everything in the back.

Now route the 3 wires from the back thru the hole here.....

By the way, if you need to use the switch's retaining ring, put it over the wires in the back before putting wires thru panel.
I was able to make the hole snug enough so I was able to screw the switch into the panel.

Connect the BLACK wire to EARTH, POWER wire from fuse-holder to POWER and the remaining other color wire going to the heated-mirrors to LOAD. Using electrical tape, insulate each terminal well.

Now stuff it into the cubblehole and you're DONE!

Edited as per OP's request

#5 ·
MECPofPA Thanks for doing this, excellent photos and explaination! I put a 12v socket on the right side of the cubby (another Radio Shack part!) and the thread that outlined that mod said to avoid the left side. Sounde like you confirmed there were no technical issues with that side. Clean install, loos great! Now I know my mirrors won't melt or burst into flames ... ;)

#9 ·
You would think that instead of making them feel for the moisture or whatever they are looking for, that they would make them like the rear defrost. Why have power to them all the time. You get failed sensor and wham, they always on. Or always off. Smart, if you reading this, you should give this guy some cudos and make this standard on the 2010, since the 09 is already in production. Sheesh.

#12 ·
There are a few thoughts.

A) Having anything on that is not necessary (i.e. when fogging is not possible) seems a waste.

B) Wasting electricity is wasting fuel.

C) Heating elements will wear out sooner.

D) Mirrors could catch fire (really?)

E) The desire not to contribute to global warming..!

My thoughts are for C and A.

I'm sure you'll get a few other thoughts!

#19 ·
Had heated mirrors and door locks and washer jets on my old 1993 Range Rover LWB. They still worked perfect when i sold the truck in Dec 2006. On all the time, never wore out, never replaced, never even blew a fuse.

Are there problems with the mirror heaters on our Smarts?
And can anyone actually confirm better Gas mileage?.
Great How too thread by the way!!
Ozzie

#20 ·
all i know is if i want to listen to music with the door open.. i have to have the ignition ON....and why power heater elements and drain the battery (so convient to reach to jump)? Also why add draw from the alternator while driving if 30 amps are not needed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.