Smart Car of America Forum banner

I have heated Mirrors?

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ca smartone 
#1 ·
The joy of owning a Smart and finding new "features" holds some amusement for me. I purchased my 2008 Passion used and have learned a few things. I had lamented the lack of heated mirrors which I had on the previous car only to find a post which stated that all 2008 Smarts have heated mirrors which are automatically activated when you turn the on the car. (If so it is one of the better hidden "features") Is this actually the case and if so is there an easy test to see if the feature is working such as being warm enough to simply tell by touching?

#6 ·
If I rotate or turn my mirror upwards to the fullest level flat position, can I then just break and egg and let it rest on the mirror to check out if my mirror heating function is still working? Oh, wait, I live in the land of the beating sun; Texas and besides, I like my breakfast eggs scrambled. Never mind. :)

I too had wondered if all Smarts had this feature currently or it was cancelled out some years back. We may get snow here for maybe 3-4 days at a time every other winter, so it may be a bit hard to check the operation of such out. Luckily I see more snow on top of a snowcone than in my driveway. I didn't care for shoveling the stuff when we lived in the land of the Amish a few years back.

You learn something new every day though. Seems there would be a testing method to at least check the function out on occassion. My local 7/11 store probably won't allow me to drive into their freezer with my Smartie unless I agree to purchase some bags of ice there. :)

I just learned about the pcv location with that post. I actually had thought there may not be one, as I had not seen such anywhere, so far. True to location though by the MB design folk, they put it in a fairly inaccessable area just to tick off those who want to do their own service. :)

#8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. In Alabama, like Texas, snow is not a major concern. Icing is not a likely thing but being coated with dew first thing in the morning especially after an evening storm is a common occurrence. I would use the heater on my previous car to clear the mirrors in the mornings. I didn't think I had that option but had noticed that I did not seem to have as much mist on the mirrors with the Smart. I just thought it had to do with mirror and housing design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.