Smart Car of America Forum banner

Key will not turn in ignition

12K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  424me 
#1 ·
I only drive my smart car in the winter, It is stored in a garage in the summer. After sitting for about a month i went to go start it up and the key slides down into the whole, but it won't turn. I thought i would try to figure out what the problem is but i can't.

So far:
-I checked all the fuses with a volt meter. (measured resistance)
-I checked the battery with a volt meter. (good)
-I disconnected the battery for 30 mins.
-I thought it could be the brake switch, So i replaced that. Still no luck
-I blew the key whole out with compressed air and lubed the key with some WD40. (it's currently 85 and sunny so it's not frozen.)
-I pushed the brake pedal down hard, shook the shifter and tried turning the key.
-I lifted the magical yellow switch and tried turning the key.
-I rocked the car back and forth from outside the car.
-I tried the spare key.

Can anyone suggest what i should look at next? The car is a 2009 passion.

Also when you turn the headlights on the car with the key out of the ignition, when you step on the brakes do your brake lights come on? mine are not.

See less See more
#3 ·
Fuses should be measured for voltage, not resistance, and preferably while live.

A battery test result of "good" is of no use. A voltage reading is what is needed. How does anybody know if you know what is good or bad?

The key should turn whether the battery is dead or alive or somewhere in between.

The brake switch does not prevent the key from turning, it only controls the shifter interlock.

Anything liquid that is put into the key hole can get into the shifter housing where the shift control unit is located. The only thing that should be used to lubricate a lock cylinder is lock lubricant.

Try using a small hammer and a punch to tap around the lock cylinder while the key is gently wiggled left and right. It takes three hands. Find a helper or a mutant.

#4 ·
I assume you have tried BOTH sets of key's with no luck. It sounds like a mechanical problem with the innards of the key switch itself, as no electronic problem with the car can effect the turning of the key switch.

However, if I recall, the position of steering wheel can force it to bind up, so wiggle the wheel as as you try to turn the key.

Short of changing out the switch and having to go through a huge code change job, I would suggest bringing in a lock smith to look at it. Good luck. A2Jack.

#5 ·
I don't believe there is any relationship between the steering wheel and ignition key lock.
Somebody on here posted a problem like this some time back. If memory serves, there was debris in the key receptacle that prevented the key from being inserted fully. That can be a problem with the location of the ignition lock and the vertical key orientation. Try a strong vacuum over the key slot. If that's the problem, maybe the vac will suck it out. Hopefully the debris isn't packed in too tightly from repeated attempts to work the key.

#7 ·
I've had so many cars now, I lose track of which had locking steering wheels, but many did and they would interfere with the key switch when locked.

I no longer have my 08 Smart car, so I can't just run out and check it. However since it still goes by my house every day (sold it to a neighbor) I'll have look one day .LOL A2Jack

#8 ·
I will do voltage checks tonight on the fuses and battery. Will there be voltage to the fuses with he car not turned on?

I will also try vacuuming out the key whole. The key seems to fit all the way down allready.

Batteries in both keys are working since the keyless lock/hatch functions are working.

Does anyone know if they don't have the key in and turn the headlights on, then step on the brake pedal. Do the brake lights come on????

Thanks for your ideas smart peeps!

#15 ·
Battery voltage was 12.23 which is normal I believe. Fuses won't give voltage readings since the car isn't on. I tried the twist/tap with hammer and had no luck. I tried vacuuming out the key whole before doing that.

I think I will have to take it into the dealer to fix. Anyone looking for a project? Willing to sell for cheap ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.