BB Benz

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Car Won't Start! [3 lines thru "P"]

I had exactly 300 miles on my car when I tried to start it today, in a parking lot, and it wouldn't start. I had already driven it several times today with no problems. Instead of having the gear selected showing in the dash, I had three horizontal bars going across and a warning sound beeping. Called smartusa, was put on hold for a few minutes, then was told my computer didn't know what gear the car was in. They had me put my foot on the brake pedal, turn the key to the on position, move the gear shifter through all of the gears and return it to park, turn off the key, and then restart the car. I actually didn't even turn the key to off because I could tell the problem was fixed as a "P" showed up in the dash. I was very glad it was such an easy fix and that it didn't need to be towed!

Last edited by esrazor; 05-28-2008 at 09:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to esrazor For This Useful Post:
primostoy (03-25-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:11 PM

In manual

Three bars sounds like the transmission "teach-in" process outlined in the manual. There are a few other quirks to learn about. This is one car where you really do want to read the manual. If you hold the brake before you start the car, I think that's what starts the teach-in; maybe that was your trigger?

Don't repeat this process just for fun, only if you have problems. If I understand right, the Teach-In process takes it back to factory default from whatever the transmission learned, and I think shifting may be a little rougher than usual for a little while. Personally, I think the brake isn't the best trigger for a training/reset process; in the USA we're taught to use the brake before shifting, sometimes before starting.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
That happened to me yesterday:

After 3 calls, 2 hours and have try with the procedure mentioned above, the tow truck rescue us:

I'm not sure when we are getting the car back, today is saturday and monday is Memorial day, hopefully we'll get it soon:

#4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 05:31 AM

Man, sorry to hear about the problems, but it will give us an opportunity to evaluate the service at Aristo. Hope the baby gets home quickly
#5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 03:24 PM

Was the car in "manual shift" mode when it was last turned off. Then tried to restart in Park? Could this have caused the trans to not know what gear it was in? The key will turn off even though the car is not in Park.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esrazor View Post
I had exactly 300 miles on my car when I tried to start it today, in a parking lot, and it wouldn't start. I had already driven it several times today with no problems. Instead of having the gear selected showing in the dash, I had three horizontal bars going across and a warning sound beeping. Called smartusa, was put on hold for a few minutes, then was told my computer didn't know what gear the car was in. They had me put my foot on the brake pedal, turn the key to the on position, move the gear shifter through all of the gears and return it to park, turn off the key, and then restart the car. I actually didn't even turn the key to off because I could tell the problem was fixed as a "P" showed up in the dash. I was very glad it was such an easy fix and that it didn't need to be towed!
Funny, I had almost exactly 300 miles on my car when I had this problem, but I wasn't able to re-teach it, and it's on its way to the shop.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 03:32 AM

alsrac, same thing happened to me and now I am carless as my jeep is in the shop as well... I was stuck over an hour from home and Penske had a driver take me home and the smart to the doctor. Any prognosis on your smart? I had 3k more miles than you but other than that the exact same problem.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartgpspro View Post
Was the car in "manual shift" mode when it was last turned off. Then tried to restart in Park? Could this have caused the trans to not know what gear it was in? The key will turn off even though the car is not in Park.
My wife says it was in PArk when she turned off. So I'm not sure what cause the failure, we had the shifter stuck some weeks before this happened. I'm not sure if these 2 things are somehow connected.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoskatepool View Post
alsrac, same thing happened to me and now I am carless as my jeep is in the shop as well... I was stuck over an hour from home and Penske had a driver take me home and the smart to the doctor. Any prognosis on your smart? I had 3k more miles than you but other than that the exact same problem.
The manager from Aristocrat called and told me that they have to change the gear knob or something like that, they order it and should get it tomorrow, hopefully we'll get our "Little Lice" back home soon.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 05:11 AM

FUNNY! my dealer just called and said something similar but gave me a 5-7 business day delivery date for the part from Germany... you must have just scored the last one! Now I am carless, time to go buy a bike...

Tags
3 lines , problems , won't start

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/my-car-wont-start-3-lines-thru-p-6105/
Posted By For Type Date
tjwarren's smart Bookmarks on Delicious This thread Refback 11-17-2008 10:19 AM
All Cars, All the Time This thread Refback 08-28-2008 12:20 PM