Reworking plastic panels (deep scratches) - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reworking plastic panels (deep scratches)

Since scratches in plastic are often deep enough that sanding tends to produce "wells" in the plastic panels (that would need to be filled in with the appropriate plastic filler) are there alternatives?

I was thinking an appropriate heat gun could probably make the plastic more able to flow under pressure without burning the clearcoat or the paint. With the proper tool selection, it could even be possible to reduce the blemish to an acceptable level without repainting.

Since most body shops are used to dealing only with metal, plastic rework isn't as mainstream as with standard metal body panels. If there are resources, I'd love to know more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 4,837 Times in 2,797 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
#3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hiya John H.
My wife just last week scratched her passenger side rear quarter panel. We dropped the car off today to get a new q. panel. I will let you know how much it costs when we get the car back. Hopefully this Friday.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
A new rear side panel is just over $150. The painting is about $200 more (custom paint). Add a little labor for the panel handling and the scratch can be expensive.

I've been wondering how an iron would work. There'd be nothing quite like driving down the road with a burn-mark on my panel in the shape of an iron.

It just seems like there's a better way.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 AM
68K miles of smiles
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,414 Posts
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
I know this won't help you John, but I have the Rally Red (solid color throughout) and "someone" took a nick out my right rear quarter panel about the size of 1/2 a pea !

I took some 1000 wet/dry paper and smoothed the area out pretty well, then clear coated (don't cringe) using a "rattle can". Looks pretty good and you can't tell unless you're looking for it

[gotta LOVE solid color panels]

#6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,445 Times in 881 Posts
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Garage
I have some scratches from the darn snowblower just below the bumper on the front left and rear left corners. (Black) I ended up using a Testors paint pen and filledin the scratches with paint and then rubbed it out afterwards. it is far from perfect but is much less noticable. The scratches are about 4 inches long and would show up after washing as the edges were white from the cut plastic.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 06:06 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I've "patched" scratches in my metallic red and in the black tridon with the OEM paint touch up kits (which includes clearcoat.) For stock colors they work pretty well. I'm sure I could find the repairs if I was looking for them, but otherwise they blend in nicely.

Tags
heat gun , plastic , scratch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode